MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-22-2003, 08:42 AM   #1
Cait85GT5.0
Registered Member

Default headers

well the passenger side header went in easily but the driver side wont go in. It appears that if i take the steering column out i cant get it in. is taking it out hard and any tips on doing this? thanks in advance

Cait
hot pink 306 block , Rebuilt T-5, 650 Holley Carb, Edelbrock Victor Jr Intake, GT-40 Heads, MAC 1 3/4 headers, X- Pipe, Flowmaster 2 1/2 mufflers, MSD distributor, MSD 6al, MSD blaster 3 coil, , FMS aluminum driveshaft, 8 point cage, 4 inch cowl, 140 amp Power Master Alt. Moroso water pump, autolite gauges, monster tach, hurst short shifter, line lock, underdrive pullies, 3.73s and 8.8 auburn posi rear, 31 spline moser
No this is not my boyfriends car and yes the motor is pink
Making boys cry 1/4 mile at a time
Cait85GT5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:49 AM   #2
Mountain Main
Registered Member

Default What kind of headers?

If they are MAC Equal length shorties. They should go in with a little finess. Make sure you take out the spark plugs. I took out my battery holder and slide it in. I don't remember where 85 mustangs battery's are?

Mountain Main
Mountain Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:51 AM   #3
Cait85GT5.0
Registered Member

they are MAC longtubes and there is no way they are getting in without taking either the column or trans out. Ihave my battery relocated to the hatch.. spark plugs arent in yet either
hot pink 306 block , Rebuilt T-5, 650 Holley Carb, Edelbrock Victor Jr Intake, GT-40 Heads, MAC 1 3/4 headers, X- Pipe, Flowmaster 2 1/2 mufflers, MSD distributor, MSD 6al, MSD blaster 3 coil, , FMS aluminum driveshaft, 8 point cage, 4 inch cowl, 140 amp Power Master Alt. Moroso water pump, autolite gauges, monster tach, hurst short shifter, line lock, underdrive pullies, 3.73s and 8.8 auburn posi rear, 31 spline moser
Old 08-23-2003, 09:06 AM   #4
LX5liter
dude5l

I have BBK 1 3/4" longtubes and I had to jack the passenger side of the engine up to get them in, but the drivers side was fine. I have a friend with the MAC's and he did have to remove the steering shaft. It seems every brand has its own idiosyncrasies.
Sounds like a nice ride you have there, by the way.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 09:29 AM   #5
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Steering column removal is easy. There is a bolt and a nut that go through the column near the fire wall. Remove the bolt and nut. Then unbolt the two bolts on the rubber flex joint that bolt it to the rack. Then move that end of the column up away from the rack and pull the shaft down away from the firewall. The column slides into the part of the steering column that come out of the firewall. You'll see how to get it. I've had to remove much more than steering column to get some long tubes in. Starter, etc. One set of long tubes that I put on a friends car were so not made to fit a mustang. Or if they were, they weren't made well. We had to get the BFH (I'm talking a 10 poung sledge) and pound in a spot between the tranny tunnel and the floor pan so that the collector wouldn't hit the car.

Tell me how you like the MAC long tubes. I'm gonna get a set as soon as money allows. After the headers and some other odds and ends, like a transmission, hehehehe, I'll have my car driving. Anyway, good luck.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 11:17 PM   #6
Cait85GT5.0
Registered Member

i am going to attempt to get them in tomorrow... i have had these headers in the car for a long time but i had the motor out to rebuild it amd the headers dont want to go back in. the MAC headers, X pipe, flowmaster combo plus a pretty radical cam sounds awesome... i am leaving for school thursday and time is running out
cait