MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-19-2001, 04:23 PM   #1
Drew
Registered Member

Post oil burning out of exhaust pipe????

I noticed my F-150 with same motor as my stang(302/V8) is smoking out of tailpipe when I turn the truck off after driving it. I know it is oil. What is causing this? Why? How serious? What to do? I have been checking oil and it is burning some(1/2qt/month). Seems to run fine. It has 104,000 on it. I pull a landscaping trailer with it in the summer. Any help would be greatly apprectiated.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 07:31 PM   #2
Thad
Registered Member

If you have white smoke coming out of the exhaust then it's most likely you're rings.
Check to see if you have any leeks, if you're not getting the smoke. good luck.
Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 12:19 AM   #3
gp001
Registered Member

Burning "AFTER" you turn off the truck? Does it smoke when it's running? Could be rings or valve guides. Pull the oil filler cap when the engine is running and see if you have excessive blowby (hot air rushing out the hole). If the rings are shot the explosion in the cylinder will blowby the rings. Also, does it run sluggish (especially when warm). If the rings are shot the compression will be also.
If it has a catalytic converter the oil burning is probably coating the inside of it, ruing it. That's what happened to my truck (Dodge) when the valve guides went. Pulled the heads, did valve job, change cat, runs great.
Just my 2 cents

------------------
347, 279/284 .493/.510, TFS TW, Stealth, 750, Flowtech hdrs, Dr. Gas X, 2 Chmbr Flowmaster, MSD 6AL-Dist.& SS coil, Art Carr C-4, Currie 9" w/3.55, alum Drv Shft, susp mods, 4 wheel power disc
In a 66 coupe
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 09:14 AM   #4
Drew
Registered Member

It seems to run fine. However, I pull a 6x12 landscaping trailer in the summer months maybe this has taken toll. It doesn't smoke when I drive(that I have noticed) The smoke appears to be clear/white to me; and it doesn't do it everytime but there is a light oil burning smell- so something is going on. Hope this helps...if it is valve guides or rings; how much to fix and how difficult?
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 09:32 AM   #5
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

I have a 94 Cobra with the same problem. I've done a compression check and a leak down test and I think it's the valve seals. This isn't very hard to fix, but it's more than I want to tackle. I have gotten a few quotes from a few performance shops and they all seem to be about the same. $300-$350. It is very detailed and if your truck isn't getting any worse, it should be ok for a few more months. If you want to tacle this yourself, you will need to be very careful not to drop a valve into the cyclinder. I'm just going to wait until my taxes come back and get it fixed when I get my port work done. Hope I've helped.
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote