MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-21-2001, 10:19 PM   #1
WinterParkStang
Registered Member

Unhappy What to buy?

I have a 95' GT and I need some advice on what to buy to make it faster. I am on a High school budget. I don't know where to start at all, or what would give me the best performance for the price. Help!

------------------
Stock stang trying to get faster.
WinterParkStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 11:41 PM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

i started out in highschool 2 years ago and let me tell you a highschool budget is ALOT better than a college one i havent been able to do hardly anything to mine in like 6months and im in withdrawl anyways, first you need to bump your timing to 14 degrees btdc and rip out that air silencer inside the fender behind the airfilter box, and the best way to start your actual mods is with exhaust and gears, between the 2 the difference in performance will be like night and day, is it a 5-spd or auto? an auto will really wake up with a higher stall converter, but thats kinda pricey for a good one, get some 3.73's with a manual or 4.10s with an auto, offroad h-pipe if no smog testing in your area, and a 2.5" catback, then get some underdrive pulleys (great bang for the buck) all this will cost you about $800 or so if you install everything but the gears yourself, i know it sounds a lot but do it slowly and you will fall even deeper in love with your car, also, i wouldnt do many mods before the gear change because you'll be disappointed with the change in performance, you wont feel much difference at all with all with the 2.73 or 3.08 gears you have now, sorry wrote so much, hope this helps

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, pulleys, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after 1.7RR install

fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 05:48 PM   #3
WinterParkStang
Registered Member

Question

Thanks for the help man. How do i change the timing on my car? I have read about that before, but haven't the slightest clue on how to do it. Also, what am i looking to rip out of the fender? I am a really new at this all, but i want to learn.
Old 01-22-2001, 08:41 PM   #4
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

OK...for the timing, first you need a timing light.
Then find the SPOUT connector to the distributor.
'95 cars are behind the airbox on the pass. side.
Mark your timing marks on the balancer w/ white chalk or something.
white chalk is good because you cram it on, and when you wipe it off you see all the numbers.
Start your car, remove the SPOUT, adjust timing(loosen nut and turn while watching the marks change) oh yeah...make sure you are hooked to plug wire #1 front wire on pass. side.
Go to about 12-14* tighten and replace SPOUT.
If you don't remove the SPOUT and re-install it...it won't work right.
It is a grey boxey looking plug. 2 prongs in frond and grip on the side you see.
While your airbox is out, remove the silencer. There are 3 nuts...7/16" i think
Take them off and remove the box inside your fenderwell that the airbox was butting up against.
That stuff is free, when you've got an extra $80 get the pulleys, then get a gear, then go to exhaust.
Do you have a 5-speed or AOD????

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 10:07 PM   #5
WinterParkStang
Registered Member

Cool, i'll try that stuff this weekend. I have a standard tranny. Thanks again for the information.

------------------
Stock stang trying to get faster.