MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-19-2001, 12:42 AM   #1
89FHPLX
Registered Member

Post Trip on Saturday ...Mustang VS SNOW!!! I need advice!!

I just got new z rated tires, they are good because the hug the road. My trunk with be full and I will have a whole computer set boxed in the back seat, and of course lots of clothes <(spelling). With this kind of weight plus the gas will my mustang handle ok for this trip? I'm going to Conneticut. This stupid storm was unexpected. What do you think guys I need advice Please.. I know how to drive in snow and ice but I never done it with my Mustang.

------------------
89 Police Interceptor
BBK Shorty Headers, K@N Cone Filter,H-pipe no cats, 2 chamber FlowMasters,Under Drive Pullys,14 degree Timing, Short Belt, No Air Silencer, oil cooler, 3.08's, And All Police Package goodies
89FHPLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 12:56 AM   #2
88GT5.013.02

It is a totally different driving experience. Be very carefull. My car has only seen snow once, 'cause it was the only thing I had running. There was only a dusting of snow on the road and it was a white nuckle grip ride the whole 10 miles. I am a very good driver too, it is just that wide tires, a loose rear-end and a good amount of power will spell disaster if you are not carefull. I have been driving plow trucks since 16 and I can drive in winter, but honestly it is scary. If your cargo will weigh 100-200 pounds and it will be in the very rear, then it will help greatly.
Old 01-19-2001, 01:10 AM   #3
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Yeah, Mustangs and any kind of precipitation mix about as well as oil and water. Are the tires M+S branded (which is what most people refer to as all-season) It means Mud + Snow. All Season tires by themselves (no M+S moniker) just indicates a tire compunded to resist tempeture extremes.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 01:19 AM   #4
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

as long as ur tires arnt too wide in the front you should be ok..i could never had a problem till i got cought in a storm with bolongie skins(bald as can be) on my car and i did a 180 and it took me 10 min to spin the tires enuff to get out off the side of the road..now i ride my quad and my mustang in the snow all the time just to **** around but dont do it without decnt tires

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 01:20 AM   #5
89FHPLX
Registered Member

I dont know but I know they are the Futura's Ultra Z from pepboys. Very good tire I gotta say that because they are awesome on the track. All I found in info was they explained that they are z rated aqua tread, some othe stuff and UTQG 300 AA-A <<< does that mean anything?

------------------
89 Police Interceptor
BBK Shorty Headers, K@N Cone Filter,H-pipe no cats, 2 chamber FlowMasters,Under Drive Pullys,14 degree Timing, Short Belt, No Air Silencer, oil cooler, 3.08's, And All Police Package goodies
Old 01-19-2001, 01:21 AM   #6
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

o yea..have a safe trip and what school you going 2?

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 01:27 AM   #7
89FHPLX
Registered Member

I not going to a school, It's work related
Old 01-19-2001, 01:36 AM   #8
88COBRA
STANGPOWER.COM

I drive my 4 cly winter mustang every day in the damn snow! (I am from Canada )

Anyhow I have a 80LB bag of salt, skinny little M+S tires on 14 inch rims, and I am still all over the road if not careful.

You can do it, I do it every day, just take your time, leave lots of room to brake, and try to avoid hills. There is a hill near my house, if there is powder on the ground I am all over the road the whole way up, fun but dangerous.

Again, take your time, think slow, drive slow, and you should be fine!

Ian

------------------
Ian Sim
webmaster@stangpower.com
STORED: 1988 Mustang GT "Canadian Cobra", stock, AOD, loaded
WANT XENON HEADLIGHTS AND WHITE FACE GAUGES? Visit my site:
http://www.stangpower.com

88COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 02:00 AM   #9
MiracleMax
Registered Member

UTQG 300 AA-A

UTQG: Uniform Tire Quality Guide (BS really since the gov. developed a standard but pretty much left the individual tire companies to implement the way in which they test so its useful with in a manufacturers tire line only)

300: This tire wears 3 times better than a tire rated a 100 (rule of thumb, basically this tire could achieve under ideal conditions about 60,000 miles. but thats driving like granny with perfect air pressure and no abuse)

AA: Comparative traction ability AA being the best, then it goes from A-C. This takes into account wet traction. They had to develop the AA rating when all the rain tires came out.

A: Temperature rating A being the best C being the worst. This relfects how well the tire operates when heated up. By default most hi-performance tires have an A rating because the invironment they operate in. Hi speed/Hi heat. The latter being the tire killer. Thats why tire pressure is critical.

The way it might read is P225/50r16 94Z M+S or might be 225/50r16 94Z M+S as an example. Then again it might have the Goodyear inspired pictogram on the sidewall. Generally M+S tires are easy to spot, lots of sipes (cuts in the tread blocks), with wide spaces in between the blocks them selves, maybe a directional pattern, and so on. All to increase the bite of the tire in snow and to evacuate the water from the tire. Michelin actually goes a step further and mixes in a proprieary silca material that enhances the wet/snow/wear capability of their tires.

You would be amazed at the stuff they do to get tires to perform. Take a z-rated tire for instance. At 149+ its keeping contained a bunch of crap that cannot be bonded together. steel belts, nylon, rayon, kevlar, whatever. All while going over bumps, expansion joints, etc. Not only that but your asking it to make directional changes when ever you turn the wheel. If ever there was a black science it right there!
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 02:06 AM   #10
my name is mud
Registered Member

Some sand or kitty litter will help alot if you get stuck somewhere, just pack it around the rear wheels. Stay away from bumps/potholes on the highway, and drive safe and slow.
my name is mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 02:33 AM   #11
89FHPLX
Registered Member

Ok I just went outside and checked my tire. It say 96W 245/50/16 M+S. So this tire will work fine in the snow?

------------------
89 Police Interceptor
Old 01-19-2001, 03:02 AM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Rent a car.

That's my advice. You should be able to pick one up for about $35 a day. A 5.0 isn't the kind of car you want to learn how to drive in the snow with. Regardless of M+S rating, nothing short of an absolute snow tire will do much for you.

Don't risk it, that's my advice. It's not worth the possiblility.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 03:03 AM   #13
chris91LX
Registered Member

Thumbs down

If you don't have to, or have another option take it. I took mine out in a snow storm once, because I had to, and turned around. It wasn't worth my life. The M+S rating is nice, but those wide *** tires aren't going to do you any good. I was going sideways, just letting out the clutch in every gear. Avoid it if you can, just my .02.

------------------
91 LX 5.0
Z t-5, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3:73's, Vortech 73mm Mass Air, Accufab 65mm TB, BBK underdrives, BBK unequal length headers, Bassani x pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, Kenny Brown Super Subs, Factory Five Control Arms, Crane HI-6S Ignition, and more to come!
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 03:25 AM   #14
89FHPLX
Registered Member

I cant avoid it because I need to start work up there by monday and I'm driving from Miami. I will have weight in the car, Luggage, whole computer system, and some more stuff. Sand bags are a good idea but Not driving all the way from Florida. maybe when I get to the snowy parts then.

------------------
89 Police Interceptor
Old 01-19-2001, 06:52 AM   #15
Phil Ossifer
Registered Member

Thumbs down

89FHPLX,

Just don't do it.
Remember, on top of worrying about traction you'll have to deal with all that slushy road salt getting into every crack and crevise of your car.
I know, I live in the rust belt and it ain't a pretty sight to see a beautiful car with rust holes in 90% of the sheet metal.

My '89 Mustang has never seen or touched a salt covered road, it gets parked in the garage during winter.

I realize some people don't have the luxury of owning a second car but it still breaks my heart to see a nice car driven through the salty slush because I know it's days are numbered...

Phil
Phil Ossifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 09:09 AM   #16
bigredstang
Registered Member

Z rated tires suck in snow. I had cooper cobras and couldnt get out of the driveway (got caught in the gutter area). Now I have blizzacks on the rear and they seem to do pretty good but I have heard that they wear really fast. I plan on putting v rated BFGs in the spring. Good Luck
bigredstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 10:20 AM   #17
Jaydee
Registered Member

First the weather report (aka-the bad news). As I'm writing this, it raining and anywhere from 30 to 35 degrees around here, meaning its just either wet or a big ol' skating rink depending what part of the state your in. It's all supposed to change to snow tonight, continue thru tomorrow afternoon, looking at 4 to 7 inches total. If you gotta do the drive during this weather the best advise I can give you is to definitly put some additional weight in the trunk/back seat as close to over the back wheels as possible, and take it slow. I assume your going to run down the I-95 corridor and from experience they usually do a pretty good job of plowing and sanding it from Jersey to Conn. - can't tell you much from Jersey on south. If you can do the bulk of the trip on Sunday that will probably be the best driving day, as the roads should be pretty clear with just a little left over precipitation. Good luck, drive safe and try not to have a coronary watching all of the road s*** getting all over you car - I know it would be more than I could bear to watch if it was my car.
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 02:00 PM   #18
89FHPLX
Registered Member

Yeah, I know. I have no choice. I supposed to be up there on saturday but I might leave saturday afternoon around 6pm. that way I can drive till Georgia or north florida and stay over night. The weather should be fine by sunday up there. Im driving from Miami to Bridgeport Ct.

------------------
89 Police Interceptor
Old 01-19-2001, 02:05 PM   #19
98yellow stang
Registered Member

Talking

4th day of my mustang ownership it snowed a good 6+ inches at my house. Keep in mind I live at the end of a quarter mile up hill driveway. I can get a good run for it. So thats what I do: get her up to like 35mph and just hold on and try to keep it out of the ditch. Rally cross baby in the brand new mustang. I am really not afraid of the snow. Limited slip rear-end is wonderful hehe.

------------------
My 98 yellow stang

Mods:
Magnaflow cat-back
98yellow stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 02:12 PM   #20
Jaydee
Registered Member

Based on wwhat the weather sounds like, seems like the late Saturday/Sunday run will work the best for you. At least Bridgeport is in the warmer part of the state. Have a good trip.
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote