MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-20-2001, 09:12 AM   #1
Stampede
Registered Member

Post ?s about valve job.

I have an 86 gt, that I have had for 7 yrs and all stock. Can you believe that. Well I have decided to make some changes, in the name of speed. So my plans are to change my heads, I'm going to install the E7TE heads and the upper and lower intakes. My question is, my friend has a set that he will sell me for a great price, but they have over 130,000 miles on them. He says he never had a problem, my concern is the valve seats and the valves. I plan on installing a spring kit, but I'm not sure if I need to have a valve job done. I know people with over a 150,000 to 200,000 mile on their stangs, and running like a bat out of he!!.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks Stampede.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 10:25 AM   #2
gofastlx
Registered Member

I've had heads freshened b4, and it only costs about $100..the valve job, depending on how radial you cet 3-cut/5-cut will run you about $200....I wouldn't bother doing a VJ unless you freshen the heads.

Rob
gofastlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 10:59 PM   #3
Idhomustang
Registered Member

Talking

With a high milage motor putting fresh heads causes a great deal of problems. Especially if your rings are on there last legs, it could cause them to fail leaving you with an engine that will need to be totally rebuilt.

I not saying you will have problems just point out this potential. A valve job would be recommended, a long with new guides and maybe even a few valves may be needed to finish the job. make sure who ever you have do the Valve job can tell you they will adjust the installed height correctly otherwise you will have lifter noise after you are done.

This can be fixed by using shims to raise and lower the rocker arms, you might even install roller rockers with the head swap.

My guess would be a 3 angle valve job with new springs and valves as needed would run around 250-400 bucks depending on parts selection.

IHM
Idhomustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 07:11 PM   #4
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

If I were you (I love that phrase) I would port and polish the heads and port the lower intake to match the heads and then have a valve job done and have them sandblast/dip the heads to clean them, I had this done to my heads and the cleaning, surfacing (deck), valve job (3 angle), and they shimmed the stock springs, all for $150. And believe it or not it's nice work too. This is the benefit of having good ole boys in town that work cheap. And I haven't had any probs with the bottom of the motor wearing out. These heads help too, they were hand ported and are running really nice. I likes. Anyway, go ahead and have the valve job done if they're off the car, might as well, I'd hate to bolt them on and find out that one valve is so carboned up you don't get good compression in a cylinder and you have to take them off again. Do it right the first time.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, P&Ped heads, 2.25" custom mandrel bent dual pipes, T5 five speed tranny
15.43 @ 91.08mph (not shabby for a 3600 pound car)
60' 2.453 Street tires suck!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 10:00 PM   #5
Stangfish
Registered Member

Save your money and buy some trick flows
Stangfish is offline   Reply With Quote