MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-21-2001, 11:25 PM   #1
race1now
Registered Member

Question Vibration thru vehicle when accelerator is pressed

This is actually in regards to my '91 Explorer, (sorry, but we must keep the winter vehicles running too while the stang is in storage...)
When driving the truck there is a moderate vibration thru the vehicle when the accelerator is pressed. The vibration is felt through the whole vehicle and would be best described as a very deep bass sound. The vibration increases as vehicle speed increases, yet when letting off the gas, it seems to go away. My initial thought is a out of balance drive shaft. My Mustang has that problem at a certain rpm in third gear. However, in that case, it feels like a harmonics type vibration. With the truck it does not matter what gear or speed. The "sound" / vibration as I described is very deep. Not a rattle, but a vibration that can be felt in the seat of your pants and the steering wheel. Trying to pin point the exact source has been difficult. However, the intensity of the sound appears to be the drive shaft location. (This all takes place in 2WD, the 4WD is not usable because of universal joints that need replacing.)I'm hoping its not a bearing in the trans or engine. I also think that the symptoms would be similiar between a car and a truck, which is why I'm bringing it up here. Any suggestions as to where to begin?
Thanks, Steve.
race1now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 12:28 AM   #2
88GT5.013.02

Have you checked your rear u-joints? Also what u-joints are bad on the 4WD system? Do you have automatic hubs? Your hubs might be stuck in the lock position.

If the hubs are locked, then the front driveshaft could be the culprit because it is being turned. To check if the hubs are locked, just try to move the front driveshaft, and if it does not turn then the hubs are locked.

I have a lot of experience with 4WD trucks, my dad own's a snow removal company (we have 5 F-350's). On the front driveshaft there is either the constant velocity joint, or cardigan (or double cardigan) joints. When these go bad and the hubs are locked, or sticking, it would produce the noise you described.

Also check the engine, and trans mounts. Another possibility is the front wheel bearings, or rear wheel bearings. To check the front wheel bearings, lift the truck off of the ground and wiggle the tire (via the top and bottom of the tire) if there is any play at all, then tear down, re-pack, and re-tighten the wheel bearings (make sure it is not the ball joints causing the movement). I hope this helps a little, if you have any questions, just post again, or e-mail me.