MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-20-2001, 12:36 AM   #1
greydan
Registered Member

Post car to buy

I'm trying to settle on the year and type of project car to buy. of course $$$ is important. Would rather not purchase, and say,'wish I'd bought another year'
Settling in on the 5.0L '87 to '89 years, but am flexible. From what I've read , the brakes and running gear in these years were better than previous, and the EFI on the 89, was improved over the 87 and 88.
This is for a street car. Utilizing the origional basic engine-trans. (rebuilding taken for granted)with maybe a few bolt-ons.... Expecting a Frame-off clean-up, rebuilding all running gear, and a repaint.
Would never be able to afford the initial cost of a '90 on up, but am getting the feeling pre-'87's were just not as fast, and would require $$$ in the driveline-engine, to equal the late '80's.
I want a sleeper I can drive to the lake with, but beat about anything production that pulls into the lane next to me. If someone told me that earlier 80's was better, for more than a few reasons, I'd re-think it all.
Would hate to buy something that everyone other than myself, knew that 'all those had bad rear-ends in them' or something along that line. 'Should have bought a' would be the last thing I'd want to hear hahahhah.
Other than machine work, I'd do all the work myself.
Say What? <g>
ps. never expect to get my investment back to resale means little
greydan
greydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 01:48 AM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Lightbulb

For a sleeper, I'd suggest a 1985 GT.

The later Fox body can really instill a sense of fear in other cars. It's not really a sleeper. Hehe, most of the Brand X guys practically think it should be illegal to mod them. It can look stock and run 10's

The '85 looks sweet in my opinion, but it's still a sleeper, has a nice interior, it's light, has a roller HO motor and a Holley 4bbl that makes 210hp.

It's low points, weak T-5 rated at only 260 lb/ft, and the 7.5" rear end, oh and they usually have those 10 hole wheels, ack.

They are pretty easy to mod, and for not much money you can get them pretty damn quick, a lot quicker than what people expect.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 01:50 AM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Lightbulb

For a sleeper, I'd suggest a 1985 GT.

The later Fox body can really instill a sense of fear in other cars. It's not really a sleeper. Hehe, most of the Brand X guys practically think it should be illegal to mod them. It can look stock and run 10's

The '85 looks sweet in my opinion, but it's still a sleeper, has a nice interior, it's light, has a roller HO motor and a Holley 4bbl that makes 210hp.

It's low points, weak T-5 rated at only 260 lb/ft, and the 7.5" rear end, oh and they usually have those 10 hole wheels, ack.

They are pretty easy to mod, and for not much money you can get them pretty damn quick, a lot quicker than what people expect.
Old 01-20-2001, 01:52 AM   #4
chris91LX
Registered Member

With the money your talking about spending on a frame off restoration, rebuild and paint job you'd be better off finding a solid car to start with. I know you can find a decent 90-92 Mustang for around 3-5 grand in the Chicago area. A couple of the nice things about the 90-92 Mustangs are the pony rims and forged pistons. I know there were a couple of upgrades for the 90-92 Mustangs over the 87-89's but I can't remember off hand exactly what they were. I know that in 93 Ford went with a cast piston instead of the forged which makes nitrous or a blower a more problematic application. Plus the 90-92's came off the showroom floor rated at 225 hp rather than the 205 that the 87-89(?) were rated at. From all the stuff that I read I'm very happy with my 91 LX hatch.

------------------
91 LX 5.0
Z t-5, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3:73's, Vortech 73mm Mass Air, Accufab 65mm TB, BBK underdrives, BBK unequal length headers, Bassani x pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, Kenny Brown Super Subs, Factory Five Control Arms, Crane HI-6S Ignition, and more to come!
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 03:35 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Exclamation

Actually chris91LX the 87-92 5.0's were rated at 225hp, only the '93 had the 205hp rating. Really though, none of the 5.0's were rated after the '87, they just carried the numbers over.

The '87-'88 speed density cars are usually 2-3 tenths quicker in stock form, and I'd say it's actually accurate to say that all the MAF cars would have been rated at 205hp had they bothered to dyno them.

Course, I've been through that discussion before.

The 91-92 cars with 16" Pony wheels also got a little wider inner fender area so the larger 245 width tires can be fit easier, they also have a 140mph speedo (which could be found back to 1989 on some cars), MAF (which dated back to the '88 CA and all later models), and a slight cam revision (I believe that coincided with the MAF introduction). Oh they also have an airbag, availible from '89+. There are a couple little other deals, but nothing real big.
Old 01-20-2001, 11:15 PM   #6
greydan
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. Just read an artical about windsor vs clevland engines....ahahahha
well thats confusing.
Back to the car selection. Going back to an '85GT has it's merits in my mind. First, what I've seen available in the Detroit market, an '85 is closer to my budget. Woodward Dream cruise and all here, has raised anything that smells game, to pricey levels. But lesson learned. When I'm ready, I'll try to go out of the 'salt belt' to buy... South. Have grandkids in PA.& KY., and see few cars that have grung bodies like a 15 yr old Detroit car here. ...
Of course purchase price won't be the half of it, but a sound body would be a start.
What is available in retro to correct the rear-end and trans problems, or are they survivable under occasional green light gotchya's? (I'd expect to rebuild them up front)
Thanks again...

greydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 11:24 PM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Unfortunately the 85 has the 7.5" rear end, which must be swapped if you do performance enhancements.

The T-5 manual in it is also too weak, I'd recommend trying to sell it, or upgrading. That way upgrading won't be so expensive. You can always work on getting it tuned up and fixed up before worrying about mods too. That's the route I'd go.

They also need exhaust mods to be made, but they are a very nice platform to work with, and they do offer good performance. Probably equal to the SN95's, certainly Gen I 4.6 mod motor cars, or low 15's. Depending on which way you look at it.
Old 01-21-2001, 02:51 PM   #8
DemonGT
Registered Member

i heard the 90-92's had stronger blocks and different kind of pistons??

------------------
1991 GT,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,UPDATE: Just got my Mac long tube headers

By the time summer comes ill have full Mac exhaust,new shifter knob and what ever else i can afford
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 10:14 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

No there is no difference in the blocks or the pistons until 1993 models, which got cast hypereutic pistons.
Old 01-21-2001, 11:10 PM   #10
gray87GT
Registered Member

The '87-88 also have forged pistons. The only other thing you should consider is rear discs. When did the come stock???
gray87GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 04:23 PM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Rear discs were availible on '85-'86 SVO's, the '93 Cobra's and 94+ models.