MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-17-2003, 12:07 AM   #1
stang_guy_95
Registered Member

Default upgrading intake, which one???

I have a slightly modified 1995 GT and I'm looking for MORE POWER. I plan on doing many mods in the future as well. I'm broke so it will take time. It is a daily driver and of course I plan on taking it to the track. Anyway, what intake do you guys recommend for me. Also, what size fuel pump do you recommend?
Thanks, Jason.
stang_guy_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 09:54 AM   #2
tmoss
Registered Member

Since money is tight, I'd recommend going one of two ways. I port the stock lower intake for $100 labor + shipping - you'll have about $130 in it including shipping. If your engine is in good condition you will get about 20HP. I have many references and pictures. If you are interested, PM me with an e-mail address so I can attach the pictures. I attached one of one of my ported lowers next to a stocker.

The second is look for a good used intake. An Explorer intake from a 95-EARLY 97 will make as much power as a Cobra and can be bought for less. Cobra is also a good choice but they are typically pricier $250 and up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #1 bank ported vs stock.jpg (73.2 KB, 35 views)
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 12:51 PM   #3
stang_guy_95
Registered Member

Default which intake

Thanks for the advice. So you don't think I should look for a nice used edelbrock or trickflow, or will that be too much for my car right now?
stang_guy_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 01:23 PM   #4
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally posted by tmoss
Since money is tight, I'd recommend going one of two ways. I port the stock lower intake for $100 labor + shipping - you'll have about $130 in it including shipping. If your engine is in good condition you will get about 20HP. I have many references and pictures. If you are interested, PM me with an e-mail address so I can attach the pictures. I attached one of one of my ported lowers next to a stocker.

The second is look for a good used intake. An Explorer intake from a 95-EARLY 97 will make as much power as a Cobra and can be bought for less. Cobra is also a good choice but they are typically pricier $250 and up.
About how long does it take you to do and get the heads back? Are you backed up in work or do you have openings? I have looking at having my intake ported. Let me know and I'll see what I can do. What kind of equipment do you use? Do you gasket match or do you have a standard size you open them up to? Sorry for all the questions, but most of them are a need to know kind of thing. Also, what do you use to measure them, calipers, inside mic, bore guage ect. Thanks and again, sorry to be a pain.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:00 PM   #5
tmoss
Registered Member

I don't do heads, just intakes. Mostly Stock lowers and Cobra lowers. I takes me about 7 days to do once I get the intakes as the stock lower needs to have the front two runners puddle welded at the backs of the "doglegs". I port them to the stock E7 head intake runner size or a 1250 gasket as those are the only two sizes that make performance sense - your choice. I DO NOT just gasket match - a lot of my work goes into re-shaping the runner walls further up from the opening. I use an internal snap guage to ensure equalized runner cross section.

I have customers running in the low 13s and mid 12s with the ported stock lower. I also port the Cobra lower quite a bit to. Either 1250 or 1262 - but 1250 is sufficient in most cases.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:18 PM   #6
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I meant to say intake, the head thing was a typo. I was just reading a website that someone else posted for "Thumper Performance Heads" in 1969Mach1's thread on heads and your ported intake's were brought up. I'll pm you if and when I decide to have the work done. I am trying to decide on wether I should go aftermarket or get the stock ported. Thanks for the info. I'll keep you in mind.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote