MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-30-2004, 07:32 AM   #1
surfsup
Registered Member

Default coil replacement

My coil is reading on the low side I believe it’s .08 ohms and want to replace It, my primary spec is 11.8 ohm for the high, I came across a Mallory voltmast 2 coil the primary reads 12.17 ohm can I use this with my duraspark 2 ignition with no problems
surfsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Re: coil replacement

Just an opinion about Mallory, I bought the TFI distributor for $225 two years ago and it was a total piece of junk. The hall sensor went bad and so did the TFI module. After loads of troubleshooting, I ended up putting the OEM Duraspark (14yrs old then) back into the car and it ran better than it ever did with the Mallory. I now have a MSD.
Maybe their coils are better, but I'm never buying Mallory again.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #3
surfsup
Registered Member

I put the coil in but now it’s out don’t know what caused it but for some reason the coil over heated and started to leak oil it was fine for awhile
Old 01-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozer 88GTConv
Just an opinion about Mallory, I bought the TFI distributor for $225 two years ago and it was a total piece of junk. The hall sensor went bad and so did the TFI module. After loads of troubleshooting, I ended up putting the OEM Duraspark (14yrs old then) back into the car and it ran better than it ever did with the Mallory. I now have a MSD.
Maybe their coils are better, but I'm never buying Mallory again.

Same experience for me with Mallory products. I do use a Unilite distributor, but have to replace the module every 20-30 thousand miles at $85 a pop. The coil is the only thing I haven't had trouble with. I ran a Hi-Fire 6-AL capacitive discharge ingnition box for a while. It left me sitting on the side of the road twice in 2 years that I used it. Mallory repaired it under warranty the first time. After the second failure, I just replaced it with a MSD 6-AL and have never had another problem. I didn't even have the desire to repair the Mallory Hi-Fire 6AL and try to sell it to anyone. When the Unilite module goes out in the distributor next time, I will replace it with an MSD of some kind, probably magnetic pick up type.

In fairness, I must say that the coil and the tach (both Mallory) have never caused a problem. If I was starting over however, I would never buy another Mallory product again.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
surfsup
Registered Member

I think what I might do is go with the msd , I would like to get the 6al but I think I’ll wind up buying the 6a moneys a little tight and I do want to replace the coil, I think I can add the rev limiter later if I decide I need it