MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-16-2004, 12:11 AM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default fuel pump stays on???

i installed a toggle switch to the fuel pump relay under my driver's seat for anti-theft. when i turn the toggle switch off, the fuel pump wont prime when the ignition is on. 2 times in a row today, after a drive i turned the ignition off and the fuel pump stayed on. the only way i shut it off was with my toggle switch. i drove it once after and the fuel pump shut off when the ignition was turned off as it should. my switch has worked flawlessly for about 5 months. is the switch my problem? or is this unrelated and common of stangs and pumps?
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:24 AM   #2
grey88gt
Registered Member

Default Re: fuel pump stays on???

Sounds like you have a fuel pump relay going bad or your wireing you added is messing you up. I bet its the relay though.Just my2 cents
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:48 AM   #3
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Yeppers, I read the thread title and was thinking the same thing before I even got in here. Try that first. Toggle switches normally don't "go bad" unless you overload them, but relays do over time. It'd been working fine for 5 months, so that means you're wiring is correct.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:05 AM   #4
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

well, the problem happened twice yesterday and since i have driven it about 5 times w/ no problems. its below freezing for the first time this year, could that be a factor? if the problem comes back i should replace the fuel pump relay? thanks
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:43 AM   #5
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

The relay isn't very expensive and easy to replace, so it definitely wouldn't hurt replacing it just for troubleshooting purposes at least!