MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-05-2003, 01:03 AM   #1
Robocop
Registered Member

Default Vacuum lines??

These lines were connected on my rear pass.side shock tower.I am having trouble removing one line that leads behind the fender.This mess was connected to the sensors on the tower and I want to remove them.Can I cut the line as I am not running any smog crap after my rebuild?It does not pull apart like the other lines and I think it is vacuum for something.The pic shows the bundle with the bottom circled piece being the one that I cant get loose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg practice 099.jpg (58.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-05-2003, 01:06 AM   #2
Robocop
Registered Member

A closer view of the stubborn line
Attached Images
File Type: jpg practice 101.jpg (41.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-05-2003, 01:08 AM   #3
Robocop
Registered Member

This was the connection that most of this stuff feeds to.Can I remove it all???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg practice 102.jpg (36.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-05-2003, 08:19 AM   #4
chuck88
Registered Member

The close up of the stuborn vaccum fitting has got me wondering if it is an actual fitting or some kind protective grommet or something are you sure that is a connection?

(I am by no means an expert under the hood, but I have been known to thrown the ocasional wrench or two)

Chuck88

Wife, 2 kids, busy job, "fixer upper" house, and I still have time for the Mustang!!!

I Love my kids!!!
chuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:14 AM   #5
tmoss
Registered Member

That line is for the vacuum resevior to run the heating/AC controls. You can cut it, but then you won't be able to change the air discharge from the window/feet discharge vents to the dash vents.

Here is a diagram of my 88 GT to help you see where all this stuff goes......................
Attached Images
File Type: gif emissions-vacuum.gif (14.3 KB, 54 views)
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 06:04 PM   #6
gtnby2
Registered Member

Tom is correct; it does go to your ac/heater controls....PUT IT BACK OR YOU'LL BE SORRY!!!!
gtnby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 09:21 PM   #7
Technick
Registered Member

Based on photo #1 and photo #2, those are for the TAB and TAD solonioids that are just below the pic's you sent. Those control the operation of the EGR valve and the diverter valves from the smog pump which dictate when the smog pump pumps fresh air into the back of the cylinder heads or back down to the cat convertor. If you are removing all of the smog equipment then yes it can all be ripped out. The A/C and heater vacume source is a single vacume line that enters the firewall by the A/C reciever/dryer assembly. It is not part of a vacume bundle as pictured.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:15 AM   #8
Robocop
Registered Member

Thanks for the help and I am still trying to figure out these wires and crazy vacuum lines.Thanks for the diagram tmoss...is this the same as my 1992 gt lines?And Technik thank you also for the input.I was hoping all this could go but I am still unsure of this one hose that is remaining.Can anyone give me an idea of what all the important things are that run off a vacuum?Or better yet everything that uses vacuum.I will probably keep my air conditioning but want no smog stuff.Just some general ideas of the things that use vacuum that most people cap off.One person on a seperate forum said that I can cap everything not needed and run a seperate line off the tree to any vital equipment.This is very confusing to me but I like the idea of the less the better.Any more input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:29 AM   #9
tmoss
Registered Member

You vacuum lines should be the same with the single exception of the MAP sensor on mine - that is for speed density cars. Since your is MAF car, you car will have a BAP sensor which does NOT get connected to the manifold vacuum like my MAP sensor.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote