MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-01-2003, 12:25 AM   #1
smuff
Registered Member

Default New to board, had some ?'s

I'm planning on purchasing a mass air 5.0 mustang this summer, I want to nail down a plan and stick with it so this car can become all I want it be as soon as possible. This will be a weekend cruiser and drag car so mileage and such aren't really a concern. I want to run either AFR 165's or TFS TW's with a cam somwhere around 220-230 degrees @ .050 and .500 lift, a good manifold, TB, MAF, etc but I'm undecided on brands. All this on the stock short block until I can afford a rebuild. I want a 5 speed with 373 or 410 gears, stiff chassis and sticky tires.

Now my questions are, what kind of 1/4 mile times should I be seeing assuming conditions are good?

With the stock pistons and the afformentioned heads at what lift will I start running into PTV clearance issues?

Also how well will the stock short block accept an occaisional small shot of N20, say 75-100 HP?

Thanks for any replies, I'm new to the mustang and 5.0 but not new to racing and working on engines and your experience would be greatly appreciated to help me hit the ground running and not waste time on stuff that doesn't work.
smuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:53 PM   #2
ArtMan
Registered Member

Red face Volumes

Congrats on your wise decision for a 5.0. Your questions cover alot of subject matters. I'll just respond where I think I can help.

The parts you mention can be obtrained from BBK, Pro Flow Technologies and Edelbrock, for example. There are really a whole slew of makers that manufacture quatlity parts for the 5.0.

The 1/4 mile times with that combo, including the N2O, might be about 13.0. There are alot of variables, i.e. tires and parts selected.

The PTV clearance question is a tough one. Purhaps a more experienced Stanger will jump in. But I would guess about 0.560" depending on head, etc.

I don't think your stock short block should mind that kind of N2O shot at all. Good Luck.
Rice Hater's Club Member #225
ArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote