MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-15-2005, 11:33 PM   #1
chatcher
Registered Member

Default 6 or 8 psi?

i am looking at superchargers and trying to make the right choice for my car and driving style its a primarily stock car headers h-pipe(no cats ) and flowmaster exhaust. i guess the biggest ? i have is. is 6psi enough keep in mind i have never dealt with a supercharger before but i would say i am a 7 or 8 on the 1-10 scale for mechanicly inclined i do plan on heads and intake-tb and all those type upgrades eventually but i would like a noticble hp increase now i also would like to retain the stock t-5 as well as the 8.8 or should i just buck spend the extra dough and go 8psi my fear there is drivablity and tuning issuses should i be afraid probably not im sure i can work through those probs but id rather be driving it than working on it so any input would be greatly app thanks
Old 01-16-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

Default Re: 6 or 8 psi?

Are you looking at a certain brand or even type of blower right now? Either way, my suggestion is to get one you can grow with. Its amazing how fast you can get bored and want more. How many miles are on your car?

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

It's easy to get an entry level 6-8 psi blower, like a Novi 1000 and change the pulley to get up to 12-14psi...
I would get a 6 pound unit b/c your intake,heads, and 19lb injectors are going to limit you anyway.
After you do the head swap, then change the pulley on the s/c and viola!

Good Luck...
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
chatcher
Registered Member

i was leaning towards either a powerdyne or vortech i like the thoughts of not having to tap the oil pan but vortech looks like it might have a more complete system my car has 92k but they are easy miles i have owned the car for 5 years and bought it from an older fella that only drove it in the sun like me plus price is as always a bit of a factor ive seen the 6psi pd kit for 1800 while the vortech 8psi ive seen around 2500 if the 6psi kit is upgradable by simply swaping pulleys whats the big price dif for?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:44 PM   #5
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

The 8psi Vortech is the S-trim. The 6psi kit is the A-Trim (I think it's called the SQ now, right?). The S-trim has more room to grow (higher max boost) and will flow more cfm at the same boost level as the A-trim.

Edit: I had to tap the oil pan for my NOVI 1000 and it was one of the easiest things I have ever done. Don't let it scare you away from the NOVI 1000 or 2000. It's not as bad or as hard as it sounds.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

The Vortech V-2 SQ trim is an 8-10 psi "quiet" gear supercharger
The V-1 (used to be called A-trim) is the entry level 5-6 psi unit and uses the stock ignition, computer and fuel system of a 5.0.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/.../appguide.html

The price difference is because the V-2's come with a MSD BTM, T-Rex fuel pump, an FMU, and all the plumbing for said gear. All you need are injectors and possibly a MAF.

BTW, the tapping of the oil pan is, as stated above, very easy.
Good Luck.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:12 PM   #7
chatcher
Registered Member

ok i deceided to go with th v-2 SQ will 24# inj and an maf cal to them be what i need what about tuning the car? will i need to take it to a dyno if so anybody know of a good one the the pitts pa area i'll be heading to summit for the sc in a few weeks and wish to pick up any other ness tidbits while im there thanks in advance
Old 01-18-2005, 07:18 PM   #8
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

The injectors might be small...they would work if you plan on using the FMU though.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:48 PM   #9
chatcher
Registered Member

sorry if this is a stupid ? but what are my other options oh and shaler is western pa isnt it
Old 01-18-2005, 08:33 PM   #10
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

The 24's would be too small for your application. They would run too high in their duty cycle and at high RPM you risk a lean condition.
My .02
Good luck...
I had 42's and a chip with an SQ-trim, just to be sure.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #11
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatcher
sorry if this is a stupid ? but what are my other options oh and shaler is western pa isnt it
Yes, Shaler is western PA. Shaler is north of Pittsburgh. I live right off of route 8...I'm sure you know route 8 because it goes into butler if I'm not mistaken.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:09 PM   #12
chatcher
Registered Member

yeah rt 8 is butler's main street i thought it was down a bit south of me but i wasnt sure are you south of the turnpike
Old 01-20-2005, 01:29 AM   #13
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I'm about 10 miles south of the Turnpike.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #14
chatcher
Registered Member

so what is the alternative to using the supplied fmu and i see you are using 36# injectors on a 6psi system should 8psi require larger than that if i dont use their fmu i hate asking all these ?'s but the whole supercharger thing is something i really want to do but am a little afraid of screwing it up i also dont want to buy a $200 set of injectors that dont work for my application not to mention a $250 maf calibrated to them even with ebay to unload things that would still be a little too much cash to blow
Old 01-20-2005, 01:37 PM   #15
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

The alternative to using the FMU is to use bigger injectors. I'm using 36's because I found a decent deal on them plus they gave me some room to grow if I wanted to up the boost. Since I'm swapping the heads and intake this winter, I'll probably get rid of the 36's and pick up some 42's for peace of mind.

If the rest of your engine is stock, 42's would give you a ton of room to grow if you were thinking about a H/C/I package or more boost later down the line but they would be tricky to get a good idle with on a stock engine (unless you had it dyno tuned)

A great place to check out is www.superchargerhelp.com Nothing but blower guys over there and they are really helpful. It would be worth it to check the site out. Make a thread over there asking the same questions and see what everyone has to say.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:14 PM   #16
chatcher
Registered Member

thanks for the link and let me know if you pick up 42's maybe ill try the 36's(if you want to sell them) as it'll be a while before i can swing for h/c/i after this