MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-26-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
pepe_la_pew15
Registered Member

Default Argh!! Why Won't It Start?

hi guys,

In the late summer, I was driving, spun out doing 80km/h, and landed in the ditch. The car is in very good shape, except for the taillight...The problem??

Now my car won't start. when I tried to crank it, it would start to turn over, and 2 seconds later (when u turned the key back to the on position) it would die. It did that for a while. Now, it won't even turn over at all...The starter is fine, spark plugs all produce spark, inertia switch has been reset, ignition switch has been replaced, as well as the relay checked. I don't know what the problem could be?

The fuel pump?? It won't turn on when you crank it from the key...
Well, we then bypassed the relay (under the drivers seat) and managed to turn the fuel pump on from there. Then we tried to crank it....nothing!!

Could it be my inertia switch in the trunk?? We tested the resistance of the switch both when it was tripped and reset.

Tripped - 147 ohms (over a 200 ohm scale on the multi-meter)
Reset - 0.3 ohms (over a 200 ohm scale on the multi-meter)

This is soo frustrating!!!

If anyone knows what I could check, or what potentially COULD be the problem, please help!!

THANKS!!!
Erik...
pepe_la_pew15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:10 PM   #2
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Re: Argh!! Why Won't It Start?

hmmm...
check the connections to the starter...
measure amps on the battery and look for draw when you crank it, if no appreciable current drop, then go downstream and check ignition connections, clean terminal posts on batt and starter relay,
check fuses.
Verify fuel pressure and operation of fuel pump. If good, verify spark. You said you had it, but how did you know? Screwdriver in the spark boot check?
Let us know a few more details to help you troubleshoot...
Good luck....
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:30 AM   #3
Jeff Chambers

Try grounding out the fuel pump at the EEC test connector under the hood. This will tell you whether the fuel pump is working or not.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:55 AM   #4
pepe_la_pew15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozer 88GTConv
hmmm...
check the connections to the starter...
measure amps on the battery and look for draw when you crank it, if no appreciable current drop, then go downstream and check ignition connections, clean terminal posts on batt and starter relay,
check fuses.
Verify fuel pressure and operation of fuel pump. If good, verify spark. You said you had it, but how did you know? Screwdriver in the spark boot check?
Let us know a few more details to help you troubleshoot...
Good luck....
connections to starter are good,
battery has draw when i crank it,
fuel pressure is accurate and fuel pump is turning on and working correctly (ONLY when i bypass the relay under the seat...fuel pump WILL NOT turn on with the ignition switch :S)
screwdriver in the spark boot...yepp..i sure got spark!

i replaced all the relays....and still..no start...
intertia switch, wiring, fuel pump...all correct..

could it be my fuel filter?? but why would that prevent the car from starting???

what about my ECC?? I ordered a new ecc..and it should be here in 3 weeks or so..

what do you guys think???

Thanks!
Erik...
Old 01-08-2005, 07:10 AM   #5
PKRWUD

If the engine tried to start, but died as soon as you released the key from the start position, then the problem is the TFI module. It has two circuits that permit the engine to run; one when the key is in the start position, and one in the run position. It is common for the run position circuit to fail first, creating the situation you described. It is possible that you have other issues as well, but your initial problem should be corrected by replacing the module.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
pepe_la_pew15
Registered Member

but now it won't even start at all...it tries too..but it just doesn't seem to work...

it turns over and cranks...but doesn't start up..

i have NO idea...

is it my computer?? perhaps?

thanks!
Erik...
Old 01-09-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Get your fuel pump issue taken care of first. Then change the ignition module (TFI) on your distributor like Pkrwd said. Make sure you coat the back of the new one GOOD with the supplied white "grease", those things don't like heat at all.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:42 AM   #8
1989GT
Registered Member

Alright man this may not be your problem but something to think about. A few years back I was having the same problem as you. It turned out to be a wire at the starter relay was broken at the connector. It looked like everything was fine but the wire was broken. I had spark at the plugs, the car would turn over..but the fuel pump wouldn't turn on. So I hard-wired the fuel pump and it still wouldn't start. So I started chasing wires. And that's what I found. I can't remember what exactly the wire does now. But I know that it sends a signal to the EEC. And that goes to the fuel pump. What's weird is that even with the fuel but running it still wouldn't start. Gotta love computers. I know there's also some fusable links in that wiring too so you might want to check those out. I did all the wire shooting with a haynes manual. Hope this helps man! Good luck.
-Ryan

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:04 PM   #9
pepe_la_pew15
Registered Member

I checked.....nothing..

i have NO idea why it won't start....

DAMN!!!

this is soo frustrating
Old 01-12-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Listen to PKRWUD, he knows his stuff. Take the TFI module off and take it to your local parts store. They should be able to test it for you and it shouldnt cost you anything. If its bad, replace it. They're not that expensive, but can wreak havoc on your frustration levels. And they are notorious for going bad. There was a recall on them for certain years from Ford.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:21 PM   #11
9TOFIVER
Registered Member

as everyone esle check the TFI module and also get your Fusible links checked, i had the same problem just 2 months ago...turned out to be my module and a couple fusible links were done for.
9TOFIVER is offline   Reply With Quote