MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-24-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
Perfect36
Registered Member

Unhappy Out of gas!

I ran out of gas, in my 89 5.0 mustang and now I can't get it to start. Can anyone tell me how to get the fuel pressure back? The fuel pump comes on but it won't pick up, I can hand feed it and it starts but it won't feed it's self. Help Please!!

Thank-you Perfect36
Perfect36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:11 AM   #2
crazypete
Registered Member

What is hand feeding?

I think your pump might have sucked up some crap from the bottom of the tank right before you sucked up the last of the fuel. I would go to the wiring harness hanging out in the back of the fueltank and switch polarities on the fuelpump's + and - wires (I dont have a wiring diagram handy, but they will be the larger wires) and make it run backwards (as a pusher rather than a sucker) for a minute or two. I did that to discharge gunk a few years back. Cycle it a few times to give it a good pulse/pumping. Then dump a crazy load of fuel injector cleaner (2-3 bottles) into the tank and let it sit overnight (Use your creativity on how to stir it...maybe pour some gas in after it to stir it up) . Run the pump backwards a bit more. Then put the wires back and give it another try. Alternatley, you can disconnect the return line fitting and ground the cornermost wire on the large EEC testing harness . That will cause the pump to run fulltime. Then you can see if it is pumping gas at all.

I am assuming that it primes properly and runs fulltime when it's trying to run.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote