MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-29-2003, 09:35 PM   #1
whitepony91
Registered Member

Default motor sputters when i hit the gas

A few months back i had a new motor put in the car. afr heads, e303cam, edelbrock intake, 24lb injectors. also got a bigger fuel pump and adjustalbe fuel regulator, but dont remember how big the pump is.

anyways, the past few days, iv noticed that sometimes after i get up past about 3k rpm, the motor wont rev up, and it just sits there, pops a bit and sounds really dull, then its fine for a while and it will rev up. im thinkin its maybe a problem with fuel. cause the sound that the fuel pump makes sounds different. when it got put in, it was a low smooth sound, now its sort of a high pitch whine. But its only a few months old, dont see why a fuel pump would fail that fast. or maybe thats not it.. any suggestions on what it might be?

thanks
whitepony91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:56 PM   #2
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

I have the exact same problem.. My car sometimes seems to pull hard right to red line and sometimes doesn't wanna rev past 3K and cuts out. What I did that helped the situation alot was relocate the TFI module to the fender well where it is not incontact to heat.. I used a Computer proccesso heatsink from a slot pentium processor.. remarkable difference. The ford dealer suggested it and it makes sense cause in 94 and 95 they moved the TFi to the fenderwell. the high pitch whine from the fuel pump is normal. .I have the bbk 155 lph and it makes all sorts of whining. But I also have the fuel issue that my car runs lean or seems to run lean even with 40lbs of fuel pressure and 24lbs injectors with a F-303 cam. I am fighting the fuel issue currently. Hopefully this is some help to ya.. let me know how you make out with your problem.. good luck!
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:42 PM   #3
whitepony91
Registered Member

Default TFI

I dont know if im having a brain fart or what, but whats a TFI? is that the box that is on top of the maf? or on the throttle body, or what? ehe.
thanks

Justin
Old 05-06-2003, 08:27 AM   #4
drtbiker
Registered Member

Tfi is the thing on the distributor..... take a look at my post, i think were having the same problem

later
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:27 PM   #5
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

well the 180 thermo didn't do anything for me.. I still get he running out of temperature range code and I also changed my collant temp sensor... any Idea's? My car seems to be strong powered till it warms up.. then it starts to loose power... I think its fuel related but can't seem to fix this problem.. I think the ford dealer is gunna have to figure this one out. hopefuly I can figure this out before I bring it there and waste tons of money..
Old 05-06-2003, 08:57 PM   #6
whitepony91
Registered Member

Default power

Mine looses power also once the motor warms up. I always thought that most motors put out less hp when they get warmed up cause the molecules are farther appart so less air and gas gets in.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:11 AM   #7
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

makes sense, but it shouldn't loose that much that is noticable.. i am gunna bring my car to a ford dealer and see what they have to say then...
Old 05-07-2003, 07:25 AM   #8
FritzDaKat
Registered Member

Default Re: motor sputters when i hit the gas

Quote:
Originally posted by whitepony91
A few months back i had a new motor put in the car. afr heads, e303cam, edelbrock intake, 24lb injectors. also got a bigger fuel pump and adjustalbe fuel regulator, but dont remember how big the pump is.
When the pump was installed, did you have the tank flushed and resealed? Could it be perhaps that you've dredged up some of the sediment?

An older car I had was having similar troubles when it had been running for a while and I came to find it was dredging up the accumulation of years of crap from the tank. Of course, it had a different configuration for the fuel system ( mechanical pump on block and a carb) but the symptom sounds very similar.
FritzDaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 03:39 PM   #9
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

but from what i see my fuel pressure stays high and does't drop.. If I had a pump issue again shouldn't it have low pressures or be problematic?
Old 05-07-2003, 06:12 PM   #10
Coupe50h
Registered Member

sputtering off the throttle always makes me think ignition problem? my car did that, turned out to be the coil wire, i replaced the coil in the process too, solved the spudder.

The tfi has been known to cause problems when hot, (mine has), but check wires, coil and cap and rotor.
right now, im facing a problem where my car gives a slight spudder, but only when cold going to work in the morning, and going up a hill.
good luck.
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 08:37 PM   #11
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

well thsi may help some, but yesterday I bent up my rotor button just a bit to put more pressure on the rotor button and it seems to idle better.. not to many days up here in NY yet so its hard for me to take the car out for testing... i'll keep you posted..