MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-22-2001, 04:26 PM   #61
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

It might have been something with his big block then. But I am just never goin to buy aluminum unless I come across an excellent deal. I am always watching....I am removing my gt40 intakes..i got my stock extrude honed. i dont know how those will work i have never had it done. So are you people trying to tell me i cannot get my car into the high 12's??

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Cobra Computer, Cobra Transmission, GT40 Ported and Polished Upper and Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, March Underdrive Pulleys, Electric Fan, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, NGK Plugs, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 77mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, High Tolerant Painted Calipers and Drums.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 05:11 PM   #62
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

hey all you gearheads..stop crying about how much power its ganna take and start thinking about getting the power to the ground..get shocks, struts, 4 banger springs, and a trip to Jenny Craig and some control arms and slicks then get heads, intake and all the other crap..yea 350hp is pretty cool when your spinning 4th gear

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 05:14 PM   #63
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

hey all you gearheads..stop crying about how much power its ganna take and start thinking about getting the power to the ground..get shocks, struts, 4 banger springs, and a trip to Jenny Craig and some control arms and slicks then get heads, intake and all the other crap..yea 350hp is pretty cool when your spinning 4th gear

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 05:41 PM   #64
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I really dont want to lower my car. Wont some traction bars help me keep my back end to the ground and not spinning??
Old 02-23-2001, 10:47 AM   #65
slow87GT
Registered Member

smokedawg, look back up to the front of the room, your teacher is talking to you.

your really lost and prolly have no idea what it takes to run an 11, what this poor guys post was about before you ruined it.

BELEIVE ME, others feel the same way and just dont want a confrontation.

please dont click in arguing as soon as another reply comes in.

start new posts on your own personal ?'s if it is a subject not related.

you've OBVIOUSLY never been to the track before so I'm sure you first trip will be a struggle for 13's on street tires, I could see you cutting a 15 on your first run, smoking the tires in every gear

just please don't pass info if you don't know yourself, and express your facts in oppinions

this will be sealed and it is obvious why
slow87GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 10:51 AM   #66
slow87GT
Registered Member

oh wait, I just realized, this post is- "Smokedawgs fish stories and guru tech, r something"
Old 02-23-2001, 11:09 AM   #67
spinemup
Registered Member

i don't get how he could even get into the 12's unless he ditches his "cobra" computer. those computers pull timing and are actually programed for 24# injectors.... how are you running 30#ers?
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 11:17 AM   #68
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Talking

In my opinion the stock manifold even Extrude Honed is never going to pass enough air to let that 347 breath, you need a Holley or TFS intake, or a Edelbrock RPM. If you do not give the motor all the air and fuel it is made to handke then it will never make the power it is capable of.

As for suspension there is no miraclr cure for traction no matter what parts you have. I have full suspension, 70/30, 50/50, Eibach drag launch kit, SSM lowers, boxed uppers, sub frames, no front sway, I ran 26 x 10.5" M&H RACEMASTER DOTS, and yet I still can't hook on my new combo. the best 60ft I have been able to muster out was a 1.98, most are in the 2.4 range and it still goes 12's. On a basic stock motor, stock heads,cam,intake with the same suspension set-up I pulled low 1.6 consistantly. My new motor and cam combo doesn't com on till 3500 so I have to come off the line hard to take full advantage of my power anything over 2500rpms resulted in masive Wheel spin, I even spun them in third gear! (I have never done that on a pair of sticky tires) I have been using these tires for a while so I no how hot to get them on so forth but the motor is a whole new ball game. So as mentioned if you can't get the power to the ground then all the power is a waste. Your car should be 12 second capable but a lot resides in the driver. I have driven my friends car to a 12.89 his best is 13.32, go figure?

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 11:39 AM   #69
slow87GT
Registered Member

yeah, I run ET streets and it spins on the street

best thing for the track is some ET DRAGS

yeah, I'd prolly skip over the GT40 stuff too, though it can work great, just not outta the box.

I'd prolly aim at tfs, afr, or canfield as a foundation
Old 02-23-2001, 11:59 AM   #70
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Well, if cobras are so junky then what kind should i use. My stock one?? How much is a better computer?? Brand?? Are there any chips that will fix the cobra thats cheaper than buying a new computer. I am running 30's with the cobra.. But i only got a 190fuel pump. it seems pretty well.. This car hasnt been finished now for about 2 weeks. So i am just getting to put on the fuel regulator. My motor seems to be breathing perfect.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Cobra Computer, Cobra Transmission, GT40 Ported and Polished Upper and Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, March Underdrive Pulleys, Electric Fan, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, NGK Plugs, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 77mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, High Tolerant Painted Calipers and Drums.
Old 02-23-2001, 12:27 PM   #71
Jeff Chambers

Dump the Cobra computer right away. POS is the only way to describe it. I've seen guys pick up two tenths on back-to-back runs by swapping it out with an A9L. It takes 7 seconds under load for the Cobra to go into open-loop mode. That's halfway down the track! The A9L is the most aggressive in terms of the tables.

There's no problem running the Cobra or any computer with 30# injectors if his MAS is cal'd for 30's. The stock A9L computer has 19# on the main variable table, but the computer doesn't actually use it for anything. The important part is to make sure your injectors and MAS match.

Smokedawg: Your cam is sorely mismatched with the rest of your combination. Dyno the car with that B cam, then put in a real cam and be amazed with the extra power! Those extra cubes need to breathe. I'd be looking for something in the 250 degree duration range with .540" lift or more.

The car should easily get to the low 12's just on the cubes alone. You may have to fight to reach the elevens. Tuning, tuning, tuning.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.97 Seconds / 114.5 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 02:59 PM   #72
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Just a note here smokedawg. Look what everyone else is saying now. Now look back at what I told you all along, when you completely cussed me out, and said I had no clue what I was talking about.

Why are you listening now? Were you just to subborn to listen to me?

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS Heads, E-303 Cam, Edelbrock Intake, and a whole lot more.
13.2@106mph
-Shooting for 12's and a 351 slowly in the works!

Stock-94 Integra 15.48@91mph
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 03:34 PM   #73
spinemup
Registered Member

hey sky, don't worry about smoke dawg i have a feeling he is talking out of his bum...either that or he is talking about a combo that he dreamed up. most guys that say "gt-40 this and cobra that" usually are just trolls trying to prove they know more than you. 12.5:1 compression.... with steel heads?... what kind of cooling system do you have smokedawg??? that car must run hot. is it a gt-40 radiator? do you have the upgraded cobra waterpump... every mustang owner knows your car won't cool right without a cobra waterpump!
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 06:16 PM   #74
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I am just running 1 18" black magic electric fan. Its not cooling my motor at all. I am going to switch to another cooling setup. I will post a pic of my motor tomorrow.
My mass air is calibrated for 30lbers.
Skyman-the reason I jumped at your and i never cussed you out man. is because you have no idea how much people can get stuff for so when u try to tell me that there isnt anyway i got that combo for that certain amount. It really ticked me off.
Actually you can go to my webpage and look at all my parts on my way putting my motor together. http://php.iupui.edu/~drramsey
Thanks alot

------------------
Old 02-24-2001, 04:43 AM   #75
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokedawg:

Skyman-the reason I jumped at your and i never cussed you out man. is because you have no idea how much people can get stuff for so when u try to tell me that there isnt anyway i got that combo for that certain amount. It really ticked me off.
Actually you can go to my webpage and look at all my parts on my way putting my motor together. http://php.iupui.edu/~drramsey
Thanks alot

I didnt mean to attack you, but at first you know it looksed impossible to put the engine together for that price. There was no way we could know the deals and exceptions that you had. We then just went at it head to head, as you claimed you knew everything about it all and had it all figured out for 440hp. Obviously you don't, cuz you asking questions here now and switching your combo around. THATS GOOD! We all ask questions constantly. I always am asking, and no one knows it all, but with some help from everyone here we can fix our little mistakes and get our stangs all running well. Glad to see the switch to the A9L and bigger cam. Hopefully we'll see 11's outta your combo when its all said and done.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-TFS Heads, E-303 Cam, Edelbrock Intake, and more.
-Videos (MPEG)-
0-110MPH In car view (963k)
All Throttle through 3 gears! (497k)
Tire Smoking Burnout! (218k)

Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 09:33 AM   #76
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Sky SWEET videos man, I hope to get tome soon like that :-D

------------------
Dustin
1993 Cobra #1926

Bassani Full lengths,Bassani short X-pipe, American thunder Cat back, 3.55's. More to come...
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 12:31 PM   #77
Piston
Registered Member

I really like to stay quiet on these boards and just to monitor them. But after seeing this thread I had to say something. Smoke, you are getting way out of line. I will take skyler's advice any day of the week over yours. I have been watching his posts a lot longer then you have been spamming this newsgroup and you are getting way to defensive about this $3 purchase. It's like all those liars I know they get too defensive about stuff and that's how you know they lie. Not to say that you are lying but take it easy *huh*. What are you trying to prove here?
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 02:04 PM   #78
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Exclamation

That i got this setup for around 3000...
Old 02-27-2001, 08:08 PM   #79
bob93lx
Registered Member

You people really helped out this guy who posted. I saw two pages and figured a great bunch of combos would be listed here for the benefit of everyone - yet only 3 were listed of the gazillion posts. How informative.
bob93lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 02:18 AM   #80
88workcar
Registered Member

My turn You all know I have been here quite some time. I have been questioned about my time slips and just what my car can do. What I would like to know is this. How much power do I have at the flywheel? I showed a best of 339RWHP. This is with a very simple combo. 65mm TB, B-303,cobra, (bottom ported by me), Edelbrocs (decked.020), 1 5/8 long tubes, race pully, 1.6RRs, tremac, 4.30s, and old hard MTs 26 x 10s. Launch at 3500rpms, shift at 6000. This yielded a 12.17 @112, 1.72 60ft, fronts off the ground. And with a speed density computer. I also hit the 100hp NOS and missed fifth gear after spinning and letting off out the hole. This yielded an 11.72 @ 116 with a 1.87 60ft. This was all done on a stock bottom end with 90,000 miles on it. So here is an 11 sec combo like the man asked for, But what would my HP at the flywheel have been? Thanks Jason

------------------
88workcar
1988 Mustang LX - 12.17 @ 112 MPH!
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote