MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2001, 05:34 PM   #21
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

***the 87-93 gt's were around 3400 right? what is an f-bod, about 3600? shows your inteligence.

My stang weighed about 3100lbs, and my SS weighs about 3800. Hmmm....by the way you would also have more torque with the LS1 engine, not just 300rwhp. And if it was an 02' 6 speed it would have about 315-330rwhp. It would be bad ***, I'm going to do it, just don't know what mag. it will go in though? =)

***so take your "lol's" "M-a-t-u-r-i-t-y" and "guesstimates" another place, a$$!

Coupe5oh, I think I'm going to keep em right here. lol, lol, lol. And I'm an *** now, for stating my opinion.....Geez... lol. And I'm going to guesstimate some more. ;o) lol. No need for name calling, that just shows your character.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:41 PM   #22
Fostang
Registered Member

I don't see why the big fuss over a question like this. Every man to his own decision just help him out if you can even if you don't like his idea. What if a gm guy decided to put a 351 W in his camaro then went out to the track and smoked you so bad you though you were in neutral? How would you feel? Would you be mad it was ford powered? Or rather jelouse that he was able to make it faster than your car? Why not be able to drive a car with an engine that parts are cheap for (not neccesarly the ls1 but a chevy engine) and still be able to enjoy your favorite body style. I see it like this Ls1 engine, Tranny undecided, 9 inch rear with 4.11 gears. All for 1k on the engine, already have the rear, about 1.5k on the tranny, plus custom made solid motor mounts, fuel pump, fuel lines, headers, then throw in a home made ram air system, and imagination. About 3.5 K running 12's and a unique set up. With no idle problems, custom burnt chips, dealing with machinist, power adders, and picking matched parts.
89'GT-Supercharged,Heads,Cam,Intake,TB,MAF,power pipe,headers,offroad exhaust,black bullits.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:52 PM   #23
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Exactly! At least someone around here thinks like me. ;o) Look it at like this 300rwhp stock, get some ported heads and a cam(2k)or if you had the stock heads ported you would get the same results alot cheaper, and some headers, and your knocking at 420rwhp. I'm going to do it, I am very serious about it. I am in the process of getting some land & building a shop with a few bays and a lift. It'll be done, and then everyone will be in awe.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:06 PM   #24
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Here's my thoughts. The LS1 is overrated. I don't care how much you love your LS1 1BAD89. I don't like them. I think they are junk. If they aren't, it would be just about the first engine GM has come out with that wasn't.

I don't like the idea of an LS1 in a Mustang. It's quite insulting, really. The idea that you can't find a decent Ford engine to put into it. I don't care how fast it is. A stock LS1 weighs about 600lbs more than a Fox and has more weight for a better launch. A low 12 would imply the LS1 is good for a mid/high 12 stock. Which is pretty much BS. It's a rarity that they've been seen to do that, the ones that have are total freaks. Like most people have seen, the LS1 is a mid 13 car. Dropping 600lbs might get you into the 12's. Unless you have some suspension work, you can forget about low 12's though. A fox has narrow *** tires, and no weight on the back.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:25 PM   #25
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

***Here's my thoughts. The LS1 is overrated. I don't care how much you love your LS1 1BAD89. I don't like them. I think they are junk. If they aren't, it would be just about the first engine GM has come out with that wasn't.

;o) LOL.

***I don't like the idea of an LS1 in a Mustang. It's quite insulting, really. The idea that you can't find a decent Ford engine to put into it. I don't care how fast it is. A stock LS1 weighs about 600lbs more than a Fox and has more weight for a better launch. A low 12 would imply the LS1 is good for a mid/high 12 stock. Which is pretty much BS. It's a rarity that they've been seen to do that, the ones that have are total freaks. Like most people have seen, the LS1 is a mid 13 car. Dropping 600lbs might get you into the 12's. Unless you have some suspension work, you can forget about low 12's though. A fox has narrow *** tires, and no weight on the back.

You can say all you want about the LS1 engine, 13.4's out of a stock automatic is impressive. You haven't driven one, so what the heck are you talking about? You don't know real life, you know specs., or should I say, you can look up specs? And I'm talking Racing at a "DRAG STRIP", you know? The place you've never raced a car at? I find it hard for someone to critisize 1/4 times, etc..when you've NEVER raced a car at a strip. Well at the drag strip peope use things called slicks, not "skinny a$$ mustang tires"....Dam*, how dumb are you? And the LS1's don't launch worth a crap, especially M6's, now a mustang launches awesome on slicks. And it doesn't really matter how much weight you have in the back when you are running slicks and you heat them up real good. And about the BS on 12's all stock, I've seen 4-2002 Z28's running 12.8-9's, BONE STOCK! Ignorant...do you think someone who is going to go to the trouble of swapping an LS1 in a 90 coupe is going to put skinny a$$ stock tires on it, and take it to the strip? OMG. LMFAO. I'm in shock that you even said someting sooooooo dumb.
Old 11-20-2001, 02:59 AM   #26
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

1bad, your the one calling names now, why u always try to get your "ls1 philosphy to me and unit? we are always on mustang works cuz we love stangs, i have respect for mopar and gm, but from what i have seen, ford is dominant in their own way, yea not stock hp ratings.

But i know a guy that just dynoed his 01 z28, it made 320 lbs torqe, its pretty stock, but not completely,

And yes f-bods do launch good, i seen a low 10 sec camaro 00, launch on small slicks, and barely pull a wheel, a low 10 stang will pull the wheels in 1st and 2nd gr, depending on setup, but most likely, in any street strip setup. yea it looks cooler, but its gonna slow the stang a bit you know? like unit said, the weight isnt there, in the rear, or, imo in the front.

And sky, 300 rwhp, to me, imo, will go low 13's, maybe high 12's with suspension, in a fox. reason why i say this, is because i know guys that made about 300rwhp with ported e7's cam, exhaust, and never broke outta 13's, im sure with gearind and slicks it may be done, but low 12's you need qiet a bit of hp, say 375rwhp
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Old 11-20-2001, 04:01 AM   #27
SLIGHTLY_INSAIN
I AM ME!!!!

Arrow Blah

I dont care if my comment to this dams me for life but ya know from what i know i like most cars, even the few imports, they are great economy cars. some people make them fast, thats their thing, good for them. I am not just a Ford guy, sure i love the fox's but there is allways room in my mind for others. I allways wondered if any one else thought of putting the ls1 in a stang. Now i know i am not alone, of corse i doubt i will ever will (for money reasons) but it is a well built powerplant. As is the ford 302. (again from what i know) it makes me wonder why some of you guys think the way you do. we all like cars, why should the make and model of our choice deside what and who we are, and what we can ONLY like? well its 1 am and i have been up for 2 days now i think i should get to bed.....

-Craig-
MaC cold air intake
24k on the clock
My Mustang
::waiting to be installed::
flowmasters Force II
::waiting to be ordered::
3.73 gears
subframeconnecters
aod to t-5 converson kit From MPS
Missing anything?
Old 11-20-2001, 04:10 AM   #28
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Well i didnt make any comments toward you for your topic, at least no disrespect intended, but a topic to that nature will get the attention of people such as unit and i, and especially in a ford site, im not saying your not a true car guy, i know what your saying, one of my goals is to maybe have a 70 ss chevelle,

even i have wondered what a motor with like an ls1 would handle in a mustang, what kind of e.t.s, but i guess we wont know until someone tries.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer

mph- 99.92 mph
Old 11-20-2001, 05:54 AM   #29
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD89
It'll be done, and then everyone will be in awe.
Now thats funny. NEWS FLASH - I for one will not be "in awe".

So you bolt a chevy motor into a ford car? hardly awe inspiring by any means.

I look at it this way. I believe this whole thing started because somebody thought $1000.00 was a great deal for this engine. Well, after all the expenses incorporated in the transplant(everybody knows these projects arent easy, usually involving considerable additional expense to get everything working properly) unless you micky mouse it together, your probably looking at $2000.00

Now I think its possible to build a 351 windsor that would waste that ls1 for around that same money.

So the only benefit of this idea is to have something different. If your willing to go through the hassle and headaches so you can put a Gm engine in a ford car, impressing nobody except yourself, whats the point?

Modifying cars is expensive and a lot of hassle anyway. If you have a lot of money and time, then this might be something challenging to try just for the heck of it, but for most people, forget it.

no to mention that a lot of people wouldnt be interested in buying such an abortion if you ever wanted to sell it.
RHC member #142
Old 11-20-2001, 06:19 AM   #30
PKRWUD

I think buying the engine would be a great idea. If nothing else, you could turn it and make $500 - $1000 in a week or two. As far as puting it into a Mustang, I wouldn't, but that's just me. I suggested putting it in a Vega because I do believe in Fords having Ford engines and GM vehicles having GM engines. Again, that's just my preference. The statement that all GM engines are junk was probably made in the heat of "defending Ford" passion, because we all know that's not true. There are alot of great engines out there that weren't made by Ford. The '67 - '69 Chevy 302 could run circles around the Ford 302. Enter the BOSS 302. The Max Wedge 426 Hemi would smoke the BOSS 429, but since the Max Wedge was 8 years older, they rarely saw each other at a dragstrip. One of the best overall gasoline engines ever built, IMHO, was the Toyota 22R. 300k hard miles is common, but once they start to go, get rid of them. One of the best overall gasoline Ford engines, again IMHO, was the 300ci IL6. In several of the fleet vehicles I have serviced over the years, the trucks and vans with the 300 outlast even the 460's. They aren't designed for racing, but at the NHRA Finals in 1999, I saw one run an 8 second 1/4 mile in a modified chassis. The LS1 engine is a nice engine, and I would love to drop one in a Vega, but only if the engine and the car were readily available for a very low price. Mach 1 has a very good point to consider: when all is said and done, you could achieve the same power results with a Ford driveline for the same, or less money.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 11-20-2001, 08:58 AM   #31
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Yiikess

I may have to agree with the argument that the $1000 deal on the motor probably won't seem so cheap after the whole thing is finally up and running, and yes for a cheap way out, sell the LS-1 at a profit and get a 302 or 351.

One thing is the original guy never really said he intended to put that motor in a Fox body, and he has two older mustangs, hmm..

Realistally, putting that motor in a Ford aint much harder than putting it in an older Chevy or Street rod. The motor mounts, bellhousing, FI system wiring harness all need to be fabricated either way. If you can do all that stuff yourself and can weld, the job should not be too bad, and the shock factor would be cool. One thing that is really necessary is to use an original LS-1 transmission either a 4L60E or a T-56 due to the bellhousing pattern differences compared to original small blocks. Ususally those swaps are pulled complete with wiring harness computer motor and trans, the autos have a seperate computer too!!

Hot rodding is all about finding something that runs good and making it faster, back in the old days they would run anything they could make work, and would do all the work themselves, not order from a catalog!!

As for the general argument, what currently produced motor would really fit in a Fox body these days?? Calling back to earlier posts mint low mileage 302 and 351 motors just aint around anymore, lots of fast new cars get totalled every day, and we gotta put those motors in something to save them from beacoming scrap metal. I would imagine a Modular swap would be nearly as difficult if not worse. The LS-1 is pretty compact and would certianly be shorter and narrower than even a 2 valve. I know the 4.6 in my dads 98 is pretty wide and would take quite a bit to fit in my 90, though I have seen at least one modular Fox body in a magazine!!

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Old 11-20-2001, 10:23 AM   #32
agawam
Registered Member

I have been around cars for many years and always took note of the discrimination between the different preferences of enthusiasts and trashing the other manufacturer has always been the thing. But the are some of us out here that respect all hipo cars, for example I presently have a ton of ford stuff and a ton of gm stuff and a yard full of cars 5 mustangs 2 T/A s an 80 Z/28 a vette F150 4 caddys a C20 and a dodge4x4 oh yea a ford 900box truck I like them all. Each guys car is what he built and serves as a boasting point but there are some things you don't do and puting another mfrs engine in is one of those, except in the case where the mfr doesent have any perfomance to offer, like an LS1 in a gremlin or toyota would be fine or a 460 in a mazda rx7 or jaguar or rambler even,Don't put the LSI in the stang, if you get it I'll swap you a 70 460 w 54k and aC6 for it, or a T/A for the stang or if your interested I know where thers a 76 gremlin with no rust and only 23k for cheap money, a good home for it .GM guys will pay good money for the LS1. and D&D Speciaties sells a kit to put a 460 in the stang
Old 11-20-2001, 01:45 PM   #33
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

The guy wants to do the swap, so theres no changing his mind. I say to teach his own. If it all works out right it maybe a eal nice setup, even though having a chevy engine in a ford is pretty weird.

Coupe 5oh- My car has probably around 285-290rwhp, cuz the dyno sure lied to me. It runs mid 12's so, I dont see why 300-315rwhp in a little lighter chassis cant go low 12's.

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Old 11-20-2001, 03:52 PM   #34
topless tire fryer
All show, some go 4 now!

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD89
[BYup they should make GM motors illegal! That would just be awesome huh? LoL. [/B]
Thats funny, making them illegal. Why not just wait until they stop making them all together, like they will with the F bods next year?

Don't do the cross breed, its just wrong. Wanna make a bad a** fox body, go find yourself a 460. Save the LS1 swaps for the S10 guys.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:56 PM   #35
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

When I put *** before a paragraph,that means that someone else wrote it.

***Originally posted by 1BAD89
[BYup they should make GM motors illegal! That would just be awesome huh? LoL. [/B]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Thats funny, making them illegal. Why not just wait until they stop making them all together, like they will with the F bods next year?

***Don't do the cross breed, its just wrong. Wanna make a bad a** fox body, go find yourself a 460. Save the LS1 swaps for the S10 guys.

I did not say that, I was quoting someone else. And I'm an S-10 guy, so...;o) I agree with skyman 300-315rwhp in a mustang will run 12's.

***Now thats funny. NEWS FLASH - I for one will not be "in awe".

Awe, utter disgust, it really doesn't matter to me.

***Now I think its possible to build a 351 windsor that would waste that ls1 for around that same money.

Not if you bought the LS1 for $1000.

***Modifying cars is expensive and a lot of hassle anyway. If you have a lot of money and time, then this might be something challenging to try just for the heck of it, but for most people, forget it.

I personally like modifying cars, it is expensive sometimes, but worth it in my opinion.

***no to mention that a lot of people wouldnt be interested in buying such an abortion if you ever wanted to sell it.

Your wrong.

***Well i didnt make any comments toward you for your topic, at least no disrespect intended, but a topic to that nature will get the attention of people such as unit and i, and especially in a ford site, im not saying your not a true car guy, i know what your saying, one of my goals is to maybe have a 70 ss chevelle,

***even i have wondered what a motor with like an ls1 would handle in a mustang, what kind of e.t.s, but i guess we wont know until someone tries.

Hypocrit.

***1bad, your the one calling names now, why u always try to get your "ls1 philosphy to me and unit? we are always on mustang works cuz we love stangs, i have respect for mopar and gm, but from what i have seen, ford is dominant in their own way, yea not stock hp ratings.

I never try that. In fact I have never even really talked to you on here, not even your old name? Are you and UNIT a team, is that what your saying? LoL, Because you've mentioned Unit and yourself in two different reply's. ME and Unit, Unit and I, I'm somewhat curious what's the connection? You are not the only on mustang works because you like mustangs. I think all you guys are getting bent out of shape because a guy wanted to swap an LS1 in a mustang. Some of you guys are just being dumb about it, almost as dumb as UNIT saying that a Fox body with an LS1 wouldn't hook at the strip, because it has skinny a$$ tires.

***But i know a guy that just dynoed his 01 z28, it made 320 lbs torqe, its pretty stock, but not completely,

What is your point? That is a decent number. I still don't see your point?

***And yes f-bods do launch good, i seen a low 10 sec camaro 00, launch on small slicks, and barely pull a wheel, a low 10 stang will pull the wheels in 1st and 2nd gr, depending on setup, but most likely, in any street strip setup. yea it looks cooler, but its gonna slow the stang a bit you know? like unit said, the weight isnt there, in the rear, or, imo in the front.

I was talking a stock F-bod. But I'm sure you know more then me about LS1's, since I only have one and all. Just keep em coming, I think this is fun reading and replying to "most"(not all) of the ignorant comments on this subject.

Last edited by 1BAD89; 11-20-2001 at 05:09 PM..
Old 11-20-2001, 06:37 PM   #36
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

No, its just i think unit is pretty damn intelligent about cars in general, not just stangs, i have alot in common with his comments, no "team" or whatever you say, its just that you always have to start your azzhole wayz with me, or unit because we agree on something that should, or shouldnt be done, btw, what i was saying about the dynoed 320 on stock ls1, is that you are right about the 315-330 lbs of torque, but not quite 330 huh?

A hypocrite? i never downed the ls1 at all, just stated my opinion on the subject, and wondered what the performance would be in that kind of complicated swap, you know? IMAGINED, but i never said i would try it? if i wanted that motor, i would frickin buy a f-body!

if i got one for cheap, then i would do anything with it, except stoop down to putting it in a ford dear god what is this world coming too!!

hypocrite my a$$, your the hypocrite, so what if i have different opinions, you always give people reasons to flame you dude, talk about ls1's in another site, here, we only discuss blowing the doors off them, thats about all it should be.

mph- 99.92 mph
Old 11-20-2001, 08:03 PM   #37
Mach 1
Registered Member

***Now thats funny. NEWS FLASH - I for one will not be "in awe".

Awe, utter disgust, it really doesn't matter to me.

"utter disgust"
What in the hell is that supposed to mean? Im not sure what you are implying or trying to say here.

Sounds like your a lot of talk so far.

***Now I think its possible to build a 351 windsor that would waste that ls1 for around that same money.

Not if you bought the LS1 for $1000.

If you can read, I was talking about the additional costs of putting the GM motor in the ford car, which would bring the price to well over $1000

***Modifying cars is expensive and a lot of hassle anyway. If you have a lot of money and time, then this might be something challenging to try just for the heck of it, but for most people, forget it.

I personally like modifying cars, it is expensive sometimes, but worth it in my opinion.

We all like modifying cars, or else we wouldnt be on this site. I dont think your capable of accepting a different view point, or your missing the point all together. The point was the hassles involved in making this swap work not being worth the trouble. If that sounds like something you want to undertake, then just say it. Dont talk around it.

***no to mention that a lot of people wouldnt be interested in buying such an abortion if you ever wanted to sell it.

Your wrong.

No, your wrong. You can tell me that this abortion wouldnt turn away potential buyers who want a mustang? MOST people who want a mustang, dont want one with a GM engine that someone had to specially install, which would cause maintenance headaches in the future. I didnt say there wouldnt be people interested at all. Again, you take quotes out of context, which you seem proud of...lol.
RHC member #142
Old 11-20-2001, 08:08 PM   #38
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Keep em coming guys, I'm getting a kick out of reading your replies.
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
Old 11-20-2001, 08:10 PM   #39
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I didn't read 1LOSERSS's last Mustang hatin' post. It just looked too messy to me. It hurt my eyes. LOL, he's so fuckin stupid it hurts.

Maybe if I'd been to the track 3000 times instead of seeing 3000 posts relating to the time of the cars I would have better knowledge? Yawn... Your arguments have no merit, no logic, and no intellegence behind them. They never have, they never will. I think you are truly what people make fun of when they say "Okie," 1BADCAR. Therefore, I shall refer to you as "Okieboy"A few of you give the whole state's population a bad name. Hey, at least you can proof read for spelling errors, though. Hehehe.

With suspension and the rest, 220rwhp will put you in the 12's, I see no reason why 300rwhp can't go low 12's. Trouble is, the LS1 doesn't have 300rwhp stock. More like 280-290. But if you'd like to listen to Okieboy, it does. Oh wait, kinda stock. Well, if you add just a whisper lid, some exhaust, maybe a set of headers, you know the basics. The same basics that boost to the tune of 30hp. That's like saying a stock fox 5.0 has 200rwhp+. LOL. Uh-huh. It's always good just to round up to a nice number when you don't really have it.

Here. Let me spell it out for you, Okieboy. Mustang = same 60ft times stock as well driven LS1. Now take the rwhp of an LS1, that has 600lbs more weight and wider tires and stick it into a fox. Do you see a problem with that? Appearently not, 'cause you're stupid. I'll give you a hint, though. You'll be running 2.5s in the 60ft and spinning all the way through 2nd, and partly through 3rd. You're always bitchin about shitty launches. Your launches are not shitty. They are decent for a stock 5.0, get a clue. 2.0 is generally considered a VERY good 60ft for a stock car on street radials in a Mustang.

Mach 1 is dead on about few people wanting it. Take a look at the responses on this thread. Mustang shoppers and fans buy Mustangs, and 80% of us wouldn't want it. 80% = a lot, just in case you're wondering about those big numbers. You don't build a car like that to sell it though.

Okieboy, let me do some math for you. Hang on, don't mean to hurt your brain. Engine = $1000, Tranny = $1000+. Motor mounts or custom K member work, all the rest of the mounting, custom exhaust, driveshaft, linkages, etc will add up to at least $500 worth of parts and work. Now that's at least $2500. If you can't build a solid *** 302 or a 351 for that kinda money, you're doin something wrong.

By the way, you spelled hipocrit wrong, Okieboy, it's hipocrite, dumbass.
Old 11-20-2001, 08:10 PM   #40
Mach 1
Registered Member

Just keep em coming, I think this is fun reading and replying to "most"(not all) of the ignorant comments on this subject. [/B][/QUOTE]

Now your showing your true colors. Replying to what you think are "ignorant comments" is how you have fun?
RHC member #142
Closed Thread