MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2001, 08:23 PM   #41
Mach 1
Registered Member

Okieboy...lmao. Im not one to sterotype, but doesnt Okieboy seem to have the mentality of the typical GM fan? Why doesnt he head over to camaro.com where he will fit in better?

Oh thats right, he enjoys making himself look stupid.
RHC member #142
Old 11-20-2001, 08:37 PM   #42
Unit 5302
Registered Member

That he does. More than that is how I can't figure out if he actually still has a Mustang or not. Tell's the gals in the Female forum that he sold it a long time ago, yet tells everybody here that he has one? Maybe he had 2? That would have been 1 for each brain cell, and figuring the mental decay in Okieboy's brain, he'd probably be down to 1 active one by now, so maybe that's where the 1 Mustang is still holding out?

Oh, who knows? All I know is he's dumb as a pile of red Oklahoma dirt on what stock Mustang's can do, and what they can beat on the street.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:39 PM   #43
Fostang
Registered Member

Ok you can build a bad *** engine for 2500 and then??? Transmission?drivline? 1500 for a C-4,aod, or tremech. What if it's an older mustang that means having to convert it to fuel injection also (computer,and harness). I'm not sure I'll do it but I'm just seeing it money wise. About the hardest parts will be building the motor mounts and setting up the cable clutch if I go with a manual transmission. The harness shouldn't need modification as long as the pieces go close to where the stock locations are. In the end who will be the one driving it? The person who builds it not you. So why make such a big fuss. That extra cash isn't sounding bad either. I still don't have it in my garage so don't worry about it happening anytime soon.
89'GT-Supercharged,Heads,Cam,Intake,TB,MAF,power pipe,headers,offroad exhaust,black bullits.
Old 11-20-2001, 11:29 PM   #44
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

LMFAO. You guys have no clue. And the dirt is not red around here either. That's OKC, Stillwater etc., but the comment was funny nonetheless, "LIL UNIT"

***With suspension and the rest, 220rwhp will put you in the 12's, I see no reason why 300rwhp can't go low 12's. Trouble is, the LS1 doesn't have 300rwhp stock. More like 280-290.

Hate to tell you this but most of the LS1's do have 300rwhp stock, even most of the auto's........

***is that you are right about the 315-330 lbs of torque, but not quite 330 huh?

The 02 Z's have been putting down 315+rwhp, and 330rwtq pretty consistently. This whole post starting with a guy asking about putting an LS1 in a mustang, and you guys flamed him for no reason other than what you have been brought up around. And then "LIL UNIT" always has to pipe in about how they are slow, etc...and I just find it funny. A guy talks so much ****, he's never been to a track, and has probaly never "really" raced anybody. Just sits on the net and reads. Maybe that is why your past girl didn't want you? Or maybe your new name says it all "LIL UNIT"? Beats me, maybe that is why your so angry, did she leave you for a guy with an LS1? And what is this about me telling the female forum I sold my mustang? WTF. Some of you guys need to realize this is just the internet.....not life. "LIL UNIT" I think you need to step back and ask yourself what you would do without the internet?
Old 11-21-2001, 12:05 AM   #45
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

OK, I gotta jump in here....do it if you want, but you will run into tons of compatibility problems...and expensive ones.

1BAD...you are way off on weight specs.

Straight off of a spec sheet:

1993 5.0L Mustang 3255 lbs
1998 5.8L Camaro 3373 lbs

Now I didn't do too well in math, but I do know that that isn't 800 lbs. Auto's weigh maybe 150-200 lbs more.

LS-1's don't hit 300 rwhp all the time....they will after the free mods and exhaust, but you have to remember that GM is notorious for sending their best cars to be dynoed for tests to get the best results.....90% of all the LS-1 dyno's I have seen (C5's included) have never passed 290, but like I just said I have seen a few that have.

105 mph in a 3400 lb car doesn't equal 300 rwhp...

See here you go again, getting all hostile with the mustang guys...

Fostang- You could spend the money you would have after all is said and done with the LS-1 swap and have a Mustang that would ROAST a LS-1.

Sky is right....300 rwhp will get you low 12's...300 rwhp is good for 109-110 mph.

That is my .02$$
Started her up 6/8/03

Old Motor
Supercharged 347

516 rwhp
553 rwtq

11.249@126.83

1997 Honda CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird
162 hp

Last edited by SaleenGTS; 11-21-2001 at 12:11 AM..
Old 11-21-2001, 12:07 AM   #46
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Hey UNIT....not all of us okie's are redneck hillbillies that live on a pile of red dirt now.....
Started her up 6/8/03

Old Motor
Supercharged 347

516 rwhp
553 rwtq

11.249@126.83

162 hp
Old 11-21-2001, 12:18 AM   #47
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

**See here you go again, getting all hostile with the mustang guys...

I BELIEVE they got hostile with me first. So don't even start with that crap. I'm done with this thread, if anyone wants me to read anything they say, send me a PM.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:06 AM   #48
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs down

I agree. My cousin, Uncle and Aunt all live in OK. "Okie" is a term given to Oklahoma people because of a select few "Okieboy's" like Okieboy.

Back to Okieboy now. I don't need to, nor do I want to go to the track. Like I said, I have much better ways to spend $100 of my money for a run or two. If I see an invincible LS1 on the street, I beat it. Then come back here and post the kill, generally. Bolting on a pair of slicks and giving me a track time when it's all pooped up with traction compound and the like doesn't mean anything to me when my bumpers next to yours at a stop light. There is no traction compound, and no slicks (most of the time).

I bet they are all dynoing 315rwhp reliably in your GM Magazines 315rwhp = 380hp at the crank. Why aren't all those GM's in the 12's? Same with the legendary 109 traps. Why is it nobody on this board see's them? They all go to the track and watch the LS1's bend pushrods. They just never trap anywhere near the velocity they should with that kind of supposed hp. Why is it the Viper, which weighs about the same as a manual LS1 traps 120+ with 450hp, and the LS1's can't manage a 110? If an LS1 even had 350hp, it should be damn close to a 110. Maybe all these magical LS1's dynoing 315hp are located in Liegenfelter's garage, or they are using the dyno that Skyman used hahaha.

So are you saying you lied about selling your car in the Female Forum, Okieboy? Can't tell much of the truth anyway. hey though, since this is just the internet, lying out your ******* is everyday practice. We like to keep our forums real here, dude. You really are a moron if you can't figure that out.

Okieboy, just leave the works, only the girls in the Female Forum like you cause you actually show them respect. Your ego needs a beating. Why do you hang around? You're not wanted. You bash stangs, you're stupid, and you make the GM guys look like ****. Go over to LS1.com where the Fbod is always the winner, and the Mustang is always in the rear view mirror.

Fostang. Put 300rwhp down on a T-5 and don't miss gears. The 8.8" will be fine. The driveshaft could use an upgrade, $159. 302, GT-40p heads, ported. Cobra intake. 24lb/hr injectors. B cam, 1.7rr. Custom headers. You're now putting out every bit as much as an LS1 does if it's tuned. Buy those parts used (just like a pushrod bending LS1) and you can come out well under $1500. You'll have an extra grand to throw at the car now. That's enough to pick up a worn 302 and treat it to a full rebuild (if you do the work). The $2500 estimate is conservative by the way, and based on you doing the work. If you want to stick an LS1 into a Stang, go for it. I don't much care, and most of the guys/girls on this board won't give a damn either. You asked for our opinions, you got them. You had reason to believe this would be the response, so I don't see why you are trying to justify it? You can do what you want. Your money, your car, your choices. If you are looking for our approval, you're not gonna get it. Do you really need it?
Old 11-21-2001, 01:12 AM   #49
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Oh, and about the girl. No. The boyfriend didn't have an LS1.

If he did, the car wouldn't have been her boyfriend, like your LS1 is your girlfriend.

So how many nights a week do you have to get the rag out and clean off the intake manifold when you're done doing your business? Hope you don't forget to clean up around the throttle body. I'd hate to have some of that **** dry on and have it sticky. That would give you an excuse next time you lose to a stang. "I wasn't getting full throttle, it was sticking for some reason!!"
Old 11-21-2001, 12:09 PM   #50
srv1
Get down.....

Thumbs up FOSTANG

i dont know what all the b/s is around here! does it actually make a difference if he even put a hamster and a wheel under the hood? WTF? you guys i dont understand. its not like he is backstabbing you personally, or calling one of your family members names! why so mad? i dont understand! you should encourge people to try something different and with some ingenuity(dont know if i spelled that right)for a change. does any one have any FACTS why a LS1 motor is junk? besides your preference in liking the three-oh-two, what is so bad about this motor? they a pretty damn durable, or they wouldnt have used them in police cars over the years they had them in it. personally the FACT is they are great motors! just like the 5oh motors. you can run over 200,000 miles on a stock block! i dont see any FACTS on why it is a "bad" or a "junk" for a motor. all i see is opinions, which by the way i think is getting confused for facts. i think FOSTANG has the courage and the guts to try something new and different. anyone just about in this forum can bolt a windsor block into a Stang! of course, they are supposed to! to me its an art when someone changes the "rules" and makes it equal, if not better. its like being your own engineer. make something fit and work when it wasnt designed to. thats called inginuity(i dont know if i spelled that one correctly, again!) some say put a Cobra Mod motor in it. definetly kewl. but you know how much a used Cobra Mod motor goes for? i seen as little as $2500 all the way up to $4000! so will a t-5 out of a 5.0 bolt up to a mod motor? i dont know if the pattern is the same. then after you get the Cobra motor, try finding a harness! for a $1000 he got a deal! yes it is very kewl to see a mod motor in a fox body, but someone wants to try something different and use his head to try to make it work, then im all for it. come on guys, he never said the Chevy motor was better than the Ford, just asked opinions on how to go about it. remember, their is more than one manufacturor than just Ford.
FOSTANG, if i lived closer to you, i would give you a hand on your project. hey, if it makes your heart beat faster and your adreniline flow, then i think he accomplished something, satisfaction and a goal. SRV1......
Old 11-21-2001, 03:13 PM   #51
Mach 1
Registered Member

He asked for our honest opinions, he got them. Should we lie to make him feel better about this project?

If he wants to do it so bad, why doesnt he just do it? why come here and ask our opinions at all?

A Ls1 in a police car? I think the Ls1's first year was what, 98'? Chevy hasnt made any police cruisers in a long time. They all drive Ford crown victorias now since GM discontinued the rear wheel drive caprice, which was a few years ago.

Why do we think LS1's are junk? Well, most of us have had bad experiences with GM products and have sworn them off forever. It may be a good motor. Ill admit GM used to make some decent cars and motors, been that was around 28 years ago.

The point was its not worth it for the 300 horspower alone, with the additional costs of the installation, when you can drop a ford in there with more power , easier , and cheaper.

That is our opinion, which is WHAT HE ASKED FOR, in case you missed that part srv1.

I personally dont care if he wants to sandwich a kenworth diesal in a stang. whatever gets him through the day.
RHC member #142
Old 11-21-2001, 03:25 PM   #52
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

There are LS-1 Z28 Police cars....Oklahoma has 15 OHP LS-1's.

One OHP LS-1 driver lives in a house I pass on my way into work every day. I talked to him once at the store. He said that they have a 350 hp package....I dunno, I don't pay much attention to the police packages.

I do know that a news channel around here had a clip of one catching a C5 on the Turnpike in a high speed chase. The helicopter had to pull back because of speed restrictions, so maybe....maybe more??

The funny thing to that story is that they spike stripped the wrong car earlier in the pursuit. I was rollin!!
Started her up 6/8/03

Old Motor
Supercharged 347

516 rwhp
553 rwtq

11.249@126.83

162 hp
Old 11-21-2001, 03:32 PM   #53
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Hey Dan...I love the website, but I think you should change it to www.UNIT5302vs1BAD89.com??? what do you think???
Started her up 6/8/03

Old Motor
Supercharged 347

516 rwhp
553 rwtq

11.249@126.83

162 hp
Old 11-21-2001, 03:41 PM   #54
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

***I bet they are all dynoing 315rwhp reliably in your GM Magazines 315rwhp = 380hp at the crank.

No just on a dyno. I'm not stating magazine facts, like some people.

***Oh, and about the girl. No. The boyfriend didn't have an LS1.
If he did, the car wouldn't have been her boyfriend, like your LS1 is your girlfriend.

Riiggghhtt...And who's the one that can't keep a girl? LOL, not I my friend.

***If I see an invincible LS1 on the street, I beat it. Then come back here and post the kill, generally.

"LIL UNI" EVERYONE knows that an (your)87 GT with stock gears, and dynomax mufflers, and an offroad H-pipe, can't take a stock LS1, especially an auto., and I haven't once bashed mustangs on here. Vipers have alot more torque and are a completely diff. car. that would explain the higher trap speed. AT the track, the 02's are running high 12's at 108-110, I don't get why that is so hard to understand. You've never seen it at a track, because you never go. Saleen your right sometimes, it's just every time he talks crap, no-one ever says anything and they just let it go , except me. We are all good people here, but we all have different opinions. I believe LiL Uni starts alot of sh*t though, then LiL Uni always says I bash mustangs, I have not once done that. It's the internet what can I say? Off the computer me and Unit would probaly get along well.
Old 11-21-2001, 03:58 PM   #55
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

I always try and look at every side of a discussion. And I do see everybody's point. It would be like someone saying they want to put a modular motor in a camaro on a camaro site. Your going to get some bad replys. Or a Ford 347 in an S-10. my reply to that would be WTF would you want to do that? I do see your guy's point of view. But I guess the reason my opinion is different is because I kinda look at them(Camaro, mustang) as equal, and it isn't a name thing to me, it's a car thing. A motor is a motor to me, yeah it might be a ford or a chevy, but if it's fast, then it has my approval. I really like them both. It basically comes to what you've been brought up around, and what your used to. If your a diehard ford guy, or a diehard chevy guy then that's cool. But what if you were in between? I've had pretty good experiences with both of them. I like them both. I mean if someone wanted to put a Viper motor in an mustang, would anyone bi*ch because it's a dodge motor? I really doubt it, maybe a few?.....It's just a powerful motor....I don't know I have mixed feelings about the whole discussion now..., see ya

Unit, how about we stop with the personal attacks? I'm not an "Okie" well i guess i am from Oklahoma, so are you are "Minni"? LoL. We are all good people here, no need to bash anyone. It seems like we go a little and we are cool with each other, then a topic comes up about an LS1 and I reply, then you say I bash mustangs, and etc...I still don't understand where you get that from, and what is this sh!t about me going to the female forum and posting I sold my stang, and posting over there all the time? I think I've posted maybe a total of 5 times over there, and I wasn't aware that anyone was particulary fond of me there, and I don't think they are, so where are you getting that from? I don't have any hard feelings towards you, it's just the internet...... Sometimes I just think about why everyone is ******ng and calling people names, etc.. and it all seems trivial and stupid to me. Yes I know, I do it to, but only when provoked.

Last edited by 1BAD89; 11-21-2001 at 04:16 PM..
Old 11-21-2001, 04:28 PM   #56
Mach 1
Registered Member

I agree, its easy to get caught up in all the name calling and really lose sight of the logical debate, or even why the thread started in the first place. This in turn, turns into a lot of wasted cyberspace and time for everyone.

However, one thing remains perfectly clear.... Chevys suck!

just having fun with ya, peace.
RHC member #142
Old 11-21-2001, 06:40 PM   #57
Fostang
Registered Member

Can't we all just get along.
Unit you can kiss my.....oh wait nevermind. No threats. I feel this thread has turned into one from Ls1.com or the import sites. Nothing but childish remarks. I hope it doesn't turn into a trend because I sure as hell will not post here anymore if it continues and thats something I have enjoyed for a while.
89'GT-Supercharged,Heads,Cam,Intake,TB,MAF,power pipe,headers,offroad exhaust,black bullits.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:48 PM   #58
jimberg
Registered Member

The 4.6L (281 ci) Cobra engine puts out about 320hp while the LS1 with 5.7L and (350 ci) puts out about the same amount (No, it doesn't put out 300hp at the rear wheels. More like 280 HP). A 351W with basic bolt-ons can easily make well over 400 normally aspirated HP at the crank. There would be fewer headaches and in the end would probably cost less. The engine would probably last much longer, too.

As far as durability, any car that is maintained as well as a police car is and is driven a lot of miles everyday will of course be able to put a lot of miles on the ticker before it goes south. I really doubt that there are 200k mile LS1s that were driven by backward-hat-wearing 18 year-olds who think they're playing Grand Tourismo on the highway. There are, however, a lot of 200k mile Mustangs that are beaten on by their owners and just keep running and running.

Like I said before, if it's a deal, get it and put it in a hot rod kit car or some other car that it will easily fit in, but if you want a fast Mustang, get a 351W or supercharger for a lot less money and more power for less money and headaches.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:28 AM   #59
srv1
Get down.....

Default bla bla bla

LS1, LT1, whatever it was that was in the cop cars, they are durable. i dont know about anyone here, but i used to work on the cop cars. you ever rack up 100,000 miles in 2yrs on your car? tell me that isnt severe usage! i know what these cops put them through. the point is that its reliable motor, LT1 and LS1. i think some of you are too intimitated by other makes. there probably 1000 reason why, but who cares. anyone can put 351 in a fox body around here. try something new for a change. yeah like a 4.6 2 or 4v. maybe a jet motor, but at least someone has the balls to try it!
he asked for you opinion, not a rude remark. poor guy asks a simple question and he cant even get a simple answer. if i knew, i would tell him, but i dont.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:08 AM   #60
Unit 5302
Registered Member

LOL, good lord srv1, you make a pretty bold statement here. LT-1, LS-1, whatever, it was good, lol, that's a riot. You're talking about 2 completely different engines. Since 1 was good (in your opinion), that the other one would be too?

The LS1 is unproven. If it follow suit with it's predecessor's, it will be dropping power fast at 100k. It's stock valvetrain is iffy, and with 10.5:1 compression, it's peak performance life would seem to be questionable.

Not to be rude, but I think you need to take another look at what you're saying. The cop cars get stringent maintenance, have few cold starts, and in the LS1's case is usually assigned to highway patrols which put TONs of very very easy highway cruisin miles on them. Jumping a car up to 80 or a 100mph every once and a while if needed isn't gonna do much. Being driven as a race car everywhere it goes will. Yeah, they get driven, sometimes hard. Do you really think it's harder than a kid beats on his old 5.0L that hasn't had an oil change in 10,000mi?
Closed Thread