MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average. Display Modes
Old 11-22-2001, 01:56 AM   #61
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Jimberg, *** (No, it doesn't put out 300hp at the rear wheels. More like 280 HP).

My buddies have all dyno'd 300+rwhp stock, auto's being slightly lower and M6's being higher, I dyno'd at 304rwhp in my stock SS. So what does that mean, oh yeah it means LS1's only dyno at 280 like you said....Damn your soo right, but you know what everyones car dyno's! lol. I hate to say it but "most" LS1's put 300+rwhp down. A few being maybe slightly lower, but the majority is 300+. I don't know where your getting this 280 sh!t from?
Old 11-22-2001, 07:51 AM   #62
Mach 1
Registered Member

lol...how does 100,000 miles in two years equate to severe useage? You dont have a clue. If you drive 50,000 easy miles, its not severe useage just because it happens in one year. That actually would be less severe useage, as it means less cold starts, like unit said, which means less engine wear.

My freind had a 95 'T/A with the LT1, and that car was definately worthy of being called a GM product, as it broke down constantly, leaving him stranded continuously, with several tow truck bills. He was a mechanic, and maintained the car meticuously. It had 2 or more oil leaks at the same time often, and would just stop running on him with electronic problems. Even the dealer couldnt fix it. He traded it in on a Honda accord because he was so frustrated with it. He bought an old but somewhat more reliable Monte Carlo to play with, a 79'.

How many people with 5.0 or 4.6 mustangs do you know who traded them in on a Honda because they were unreliable? None. Yeah, thats what I thought.
RHC member #142
Old 11-22-2001, 07:55 AM   #63
Mach 1
Registered Member

Default Re: bla bla bla

Quote:
Originally posted by srv1
. anyone can put 351 in a fox body around here. try something new for a change. yeah like a 4.6 2 or 4v. maybe a jet motor, but at least someone has the balls to try it!
A jet motor in a mustang? To even seriously consider that is ridiculous.
RHC member #142
Old 11-22-2001, 12:26 PM   #64
srv1
Get down.....

Mach, how would you know what severe usage is? your not a automotive mechanic by occupation, are you? i know your an airplane technician. besides, Georgia is mostly flat compared to NY and your temperatures dont change as drastically as it does up here. look i worked on the police vehicles and i DO know what severe is. did you ever maintenence a cop car? and no, unlike there, they just dont drive highways all the time. so the car idles half of the time and then they run the piss out of it by hammering on the gas, then stopping really fast. do this alot to any vehicle, and would call it severe duty. another example of how severe they on these cars, is that we had to replace the front pads every 6000 miles! then the rear rear pads every 8000 miles. if you can STILL tell me that isnt an example of SEVERE duty, then please give me an example.

Unit. sometimes hard? do you sevice any police cars? i dont know what you do for a living, so i cant say. but you think cops just "cruise" around all the time? maybe in MN they do, which i wouldnt know, but up here they dont. yeah they are stict on the maintenence, but its up to the officer who is driving the car for that day to make sure that if the car is shceduled to be maintained, to go and get it done. the cops are busy and the mileage overlaps. and here the state doesnt change the oil every 3000 miles, its 5000 miles it gets changed! so just think, if they forget or put off the maintence, it hits 6000 miles or a little over until they get the next oil change. that goes for the Tahoes, and the Crown Vic! you still gunna tell me that isnt severe duty also? you live in a cold climate area, you should know!

as for the LT1/LS1, i was trying to get my point across, not prove what vehicle had which motor! i dont get much into the performance of the chevy's cause i dont own any GM's if i had a Camaro or had one i could tell you more. but for right now i own a Ford, so i research on that. if i get a Camaro, i will do the same.

you guys gotta relax. its not like someone is telling you that Fords are the worst vehicles and others are better, you guys are just taking it the wrong way. your getting all defensive over NOTHING!
Old 11-22-2001, 02:11 PM   #65
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Every Z28 highway patrol I have ever seen, has been driving the it hard. And come on guys, I think a guy that services them would know how they hold up? That is just stupid to tell him he's wrong. We all need to just lighten up and realize how dumb these arguments are getting.

***My freind had a 95 'T/A with the LT1, and that car was definately worthy of being called a GM product, as it broke down constantly, leaving him stranded continuously, with several tow truck bills.

Was it brand new? I've heard that the opti-spark? is junk on the used LT1's. It all depends on the car, my stang has left me stranded so many times, but you have to expect that in an older car. I still love her though! But a 95 T/A is about 8 years old(because they usually come out a little bit earlier) so you could probaly expect problems also. Unless it was brand new, and then I guess he just got a lemon or something?
Old 11-22-2001, 02:37 PM   #66
Unit 5302
Registered Member

srv1, it would appear you know the textbook definition of severe service. Now the question is, can you tell my why the textbook says what it does? You obviously don't know.

A cold weather climate is considered severe because of heat up and cool down cycles. Not because it's cold outside. When the car is cold, the engine gets a very rich mixture, which has a tendency not to burn completely, and mix with the oil. That washes out some of the oils ability to lubricate. Furthermore, upon cold starts after sitting long, oil pressure drops to zero, the oil becomes thick and slow. When the car is then started, you have no oil pressure, which wears on the contact surfaces of the engine.

Now, LS1 powered police cars (all Fbodies and Corvette's if there are any of those in duty) are not generally subject to most of that contamination, or wear. They don't get started from cold frequently, and they aren't running cold very long.

So the police are on the brakes hard a lot. For a highway patrol car they stop hard, and make quick turnarounds. Last I checked, stopping hard has very little to do with engine wear. Accelerating hard does, but would be limited by safe pursuit speeds. Most of the time the highway patrol Camaro's and Firebird's are not in a severe duty cycle on the engine.

5000 miles is the recommended interval, then, fine. There is something else you might want to look at. Why it's rated at 3000 or 5000 or whatever. Contamination is the chief reason oil is changed. Contamination from burning fuel, unburned fuel, from the intake charge, etc. Most of which comes from cold running, and some from internal wear. If those are minimized, so is the contamination of the oil.

Oh yes, and quit whining about idling, it hasn't been nearly the big deal it used to be. Cars run WAY cleaner at idle than their predecessor's and oils and oiling systems are better as well.
Old 11-22-2001, 03:48 PM   #67
srv1
Get down.....

Default unit is right........

he's right im wrong. lets get it over with. bla bla bla. do you feel better now? forget about it! i think FOSTANG got his answer. later.
Old 11-22-2001, 07:02 PM   #68
Mach 1
Registered Member

srv1 - just for your information, I have lived in New York, Pennslyvania, Maryland, New Jersey, and georgia. I know what cols weather is. I also was an auto mechanic for several years.

Since you service police cars your an expert...lol. Dont assume what I know because of some limited information available about me that you got from the web page. That doesnt say much for you, does it?

So waiting to change the oil from 5,000 to 6,000 miles turns it into severe useage?...I think not.

You originally said that 50,000 miles a year was severe useage, and thats the point that I challenged. Funny you didnt have a comment on that one, just started rambling on about brake wear, blah, blah....come back when you have a clue.

I dont know anything about opti-spark. The car had mass air meter problems for one thing. You say its because it is 8 years old, but what you dont know is im talking about a few years ago. He had this car when it was 2 years old, and sold it when it was 4 years old. and how do you figure a 95 to be 8 years old? Thats pushing it a little bit. The car in question wanst close to 8 years old, and even it it was, that is unacceptable. Your not trying to justify a car 8 years old falling apart because it 8 years old, are you? Maybe for GM owners this is expected. By the way, the person who bought it off of Hondas used car lot blew the motor up in a couple weeks, lost oil pressure I believe. The car was a piece of ****, and it was the infamous LT-1, so Im not impressed. Maybe it was a lemon, most GM's are. It was fairly quick though. It ran high 13's on street tires, it was an automatic, and mostly stock.
RHC member #142
Old 11-22-2001, 10:11 PM   #69
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Last edited by 1BAD89; 11-22-2001 at 10:21 PM..
Old 11-23-2001, 10:33 AM   #70
Mach 1
Registered Member

I thought you were leaving this post? What happened? Took some english lessons and came back I see. "blah, blah, blah"...by far the most intelligent thing you have said yet. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:03 AM   #71
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

wow, I'd think I'd be here for a while trying to read everyones comment, so I'll just make my comment short and sweet...
a ls1 is a paperwieght for your desk at work, and a 351w stroked to a 408 would do much better.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
Old 11-23-2001, 12:23 PM   #72
jimberg
Registered Member

1BAD89, I just went through the whole process of typing out a long message explaining why I said 280hp, but in the process I realized that the numbers you are giving and the numbers I am giving are based on the application of the LS1 and not the LS1 itself. The problem is that when you're discussing RWHP it depends on where the engine is. Is the car a manual, automatic? Is it breathing from the fenderwell or the hood? Etc. Your SS, for example, breaths through the hood which is probably much less restrictive than where the Z28 breaths. GM does rate the SS as having 15 more HP than the Z28.

Crank and Chrome did a show where they installed a K&N induction upgrade on a 2000 Corvette. The Corvette only made 265hp as the baseline. It had an automatic tranny. It gained 21 HP by adding the induction system. Another 10 by using a power programmer.

They also did a show on a 1998 Z28. It baselined at 300hp. They say it was stock, which the engine was, but I bet it has air box and filter upgrades which would account for the extra 20HP.

Maybe the way the LS1 breaths in Fostang's Mustang may allow it to have more horsepower than a SS, but I still believe it would be more beneficial and easier to install a 351W. Ford has crate motors that make 385HP out of the box and would pretty much drop right into a Mustang.

I had the opportunity to read your message that you edited to say "Blah, Blah, Blah" (I Wish Dan would turn message editing off). You mentioned the idea of putting a Viper engine in a Mustang and that nobody would complain about it. To be honest, I'm not that impressed by an engine that is 488ci and only puts out 450 hp. A Ford 460 Cobra Jet crate motor will put out 535 HP/530 FT-LBs and will fit in a lot easier than a Viper engine. Once again, it would be more cost effective to use the Ford engine. What impresses me about the Viper is the overall package. That 460 could easily propel a Mustang to 190mph, but I'd feel much better doing 190 in a Viper.

I don't appreciate the sarcasm.
Old 11-23-2001, 12:46 PM   #73
Mach 1
Registered Member

Great post Jimberg. Its about time somebody posted the true facts. That ford big block crate motor rules, dont it? If only I had a lot of money.......by the way, I think the GM big block (500 CI)with EFI only dynoed at 350 HP, pretty pathetic.
Old 11-23-2001, 02:52 PM   #74
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

I agree, it would be much easier to put a 514 crate motor in a mustang. It would be alot faster too! The SS induction doesn't really add much of anything over the Z28. All the LS1 owners know that, but I do like the way the hood looks over the reg. Z. The airbox's are the exact same on both cars also. My car is an automatic, all stock right done to the air filter. But I've also heard of some LS1's dyno'ing 280, so I think it just depends on the car and the dyno, but most that I have seen have dyno'd 300+rwhp stock, especially the 2002's. Yeah Crank and Chrome's dyno numbers have always been really low on most of the things they've dyno'd, stangs etc...I think GM's Big block "crate" motors are pretty sorry. One of the shows did a dyno test on Ford, chevy, and another BB. And this was the RAM JET 502, the brand new one, supposedly rated at 510hp? it dyno'd at like 345rwhp?, and the ford 460 I think was like 495rwhp?. Those numbers are pretty close I think, it's been a while since I've seen the show. But I would asolutely love to have a 514 crate motor, 600+hp ahhhhhh.....I think the "PERFECT CAR" would be a Cobra Replica with a carbed 514+a Tremec TKO II. Something like 2100lbs. and 600+hp , mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

I had a pretty long post written, and then I was like what is the point of arguing about this? Then I went back and just put Blah, blah, blah.
Old 11-23-2001, 03:51 PM   #75
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

1bad, i thought you were done with this thread, just couldnt take it huh? well im not here to argue, i dont have any problems with noone, but i have a "severe duty" police pakage, i beat on it still, dps used these 5.0's, now they use ls1's, big deal, ther is a sherrif that lives by be that has a policed'd out 00 GT, it's pretty cool, even sounds like he has some flows on it

1bad, an ss will make about 10-15 more hp cuz of the ramair, dont you think? great, so you dyo 300 rwhp

are you done now quoting everyone, then having your little comments after each quote? lame...
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Old 11-23-2001, 04:06 PM   #76
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

WTF is your problem? You just like to start sh!t huh? And NO an SS doesn't make 10-15hp more than a Z28. I think I would know. Go to LS1.com and ask everyone, they'll set you straight. All the LS1 guys know the SS "ram air" is not worth any extra HP. For people that don't know much about the LS1'S, Z28'S/SS's, they think the SS has more hp, but it really doesn't. Both cars will see a much better improvement over stock with a FTRA(FAST TOYS RAM AIR). By the way I didn't dyno 300rwhp, I dyno'd 304rwhp. But thanks anyway.

**1bad, i thought you were done with this thread, just couldnt take it huh?

I thought I'd chime in, and set your dumba$$ straight. Your posts are just too funny , your so angry but why? LOL.

***are you done now quoting everyone, then having your little comments after each quote? lame...

No not yet....
How far is San antonio away from Tulsa? Because I'd be more than willing to take a trip down there with any one of my 3 vehicles(you can pick if you'd like?) and shut you the fugg up. Send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE if you want to talk sh!t, I'm sure everyone doesn't want to read your BS, so save em some time, and PM me. Appreciate it.

Last edited by 1BAD89; 11-23-2001 at 04:21 PM..
Old 11-23-2001, 04:28 PM   #77
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Calm down, geez, i said i didnt have any problems with anyone, there you go quoting me again, then having your little gay comments, no i dont like starting sh1t, why do you get that?

ok 304 rwhp, sorry i made a mistake about you ss, in a stang site?? so who cares? no one else is? and tulsa is, i assume not much further than dallas, but come on down here partner, i never said i could beat an ss, i know i cant, maybe if they miss a gear, but better yet, you can race my friends 85 coupe, we call him the "ls1 punisher", his sig on another site, says "I love those new style headlights on the f-bod...in my rearview" lol...bring it on

you will like the new ihra track we have, its like 1-2 yrs old, and hooks up crazy, i'll be glad to give you directions, but you wont show, your scared.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Old 11-23-2001, 04:34 PM   #78
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

I just said I put 304rwhp down because people are saying that all LS1's dyno 280. I'm not scared. I'll bring my S-10, if that's ok? My SS really isn't my racer, it's just my daily driver for now.
How's he like to look at two Big M/T's? Because that's all he's going to see. I'll quote you as much I want to.
Old 11-23-2001, 05:14 PM   #79
jimberg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD89
I just said I put 304rwhp down because people are saying that all LS1's dyno 280.
I forgot to ask. When you got the 304rwhp, what do you define as "stock"? Did you have a K&N or any little mods like that?
Old 11-23-2001, 05:38 PM   #80
Unit 5302
Registered Member

God damn it Okieboy! I forgot to tell you to shut the hell up didn't I? The SS doesn't make any more power dispite a better induction system, and a better exhaust (I thought the exhaust system was where these LS1's pick up so much power)? The only reason the idiots over at LS1.com won't admit an SS makes more power is they have SS and WS6 envy. A Mustang cannot beat an LS1 over there either. You think you can quote that slophole of a site here as credible? Last time I checked in there stock LS1 Fbodies were beating down Ferrari F355's on the top end past 120mph

You lose argument after argument after argument. Once you lose, you say you're leaving, then you come back with another bullshit idea to argue about. It gets old. You know jack about almost every topic you try to bring up. Just like the kind of block to use with a 347 stroker topic that you were talking out your *** on. You had no clue. I had to correct about 4 of the 5 things you said. What if people actually listened to you? They'd all be driving around blown up, Chevy powered, clapped out MG's or something.
Closed Thread