MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-22-2002, 10:37 PM   #41
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD

DO NOT BUY THAT DISTRIBUTOR!!!!!!!
**** I will try to call the guy tommorow and see if he's put it in... does it suck that bad really? He said it was one of the better ones to go with that box and my engine. What problems did you notice with it? I'm more the less a stupid teenager that's learning about these hiperformance old cars so I don't notice the difference but I just want to pretty much learn, since I don't really get to drive many old cars.
The guy who is putting all this stuff in is also setting up my engine. I figured I'd leave it to the professionals. This guy is a fairly popular guy and does most old cars and I've heard only good things about him so I guess I will have to see how it goes.

Thanks,
§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:39 PM   #42
jimberg
Registered Member

Chris,

I think Car and Driver (or Road and Track) did some dyno testing on some knock sensor equiped cars, including the Mustang, and premium gasoline was able to get about 2-3 hp. Like you said, there probably isn't any ECM that will just keep pushing up timing. Besides, only some much timing can be added that will benefit power no matter what the octane rating. I'm sure they probably set the upper limit of timing to what is optimal for a given engine using the best available pump fuel. Our engines run best with 34 to 36 degrees of total timing so they would probably cap it at 36 if we had knock sensors, for example.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:43 PM   #43
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by srv1

Chris, tell me this. I have been using Chevron Techron Concentrate in my car and customers cars for years. It works superbly. It actually corrected some running problems. How did this work without harming any injectors or any part of the fuel system? I still use it to this day.
I don't know. Maybe you and your customers change your filters regularly? I know that I have seen published report after published report (check out Underhood Magazine if you get the chance, it's always got up to date info) that says what I was taught in my fuel systems class at the local cc, which is anything that cleans the injectors has to be corrosive, and anything corrosive in your fuel system will damage other parts, as well as emit emissions, and damage the O2 sensor(s). Perhaps Techron has an additive that helps to prevent some deposits from forming, I really don't know, but there are no proven studies that show it cleans dirty injectors. At least none that I am aware of.

BTW, what really kills me are these ads I see for Joe Blow's service station offering an injector cleaning for $29.95. Please.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:45 PM   #44
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by jimberg
Chris,

I think Car and Driver (or Road and Track) did some dyno testing on some knock sensor equiped cars, including the Mustang, and premium gasoline was able to get about 2-3 hp. Like you said, there probably isn't any ECM that will just keep pushing up timing. Besides, only some much timing can be added that will benefit power no matter what the octane rating. I'm sure they probably set the upper limit of timing to what is optimal for a given engine using the best available pump fuel. Our engines run best with 34 to 36 degrees of total timing so they would probably cap it at 36 if we had knock sensors, for example.
I agree, but the vehicles that could benefit would suggest in their literature that the driver should run a premium unleaded gasoline.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-22-2002, 10:51 PM   #45
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by 1969Mach1
What problems did you notice with it?
Dual point distributors don't do anything for performance, but they do burn up points twice as fast and twice as often. BUT, with an MSD box, the points won't be carrying the voltage, they'll just be signaling the MSD box, so why waste the money on a dual point distributor? Mallory, for the most part, is like the K-mart of ignition parts. Their bearings wear out faster, their coils build up resistance faster than any others, but hey, they have cool stickers!

Do whatever your engine builder wants, but I wouldn't use a Mallory dual point if it was given to me.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-22-2002, 10:52 PM   #46
jimberg
Registered Member

Quote:
PKRWUD Said:
I agree, but the vehicles that could benefit would suggest in their literature that the driver should run a premium unleaded gasoline.
Maybe. There is still the issue of pollution. Manufacturers may tune the cars for 94 octane but recommend 87 since it burns faster and more completely. Isn't premium something like 91 octane in CA for that very reason?

My car runs best with nonoxygenated 92 octane.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:07 PM   #47
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by jimberg

Maybe. There is still the issue of pollution. Manufacturers may tune the cars for 94 octane but recommend 87 since it burns faster and more completely. Isn't premium something like 91 octane in CA for that very reason?

My car runs best with nonoxygenated 92 octane.
Hmm. Interesting. Yeah, I believe you're right about 91 octane out here. You've got me wondering, though. I have never seen a car that was tuned by the manufacturers for a higher octane than it was recommended to run on, but maybe that's part of the whole "California Emissions" deal. I have never seen, and doubt I ever will see, a bone stock vehicle that is recommended by the manufacturer to use 87 octane, run better with a higher octane. Never. Now, if the owner advances the timing from the stock 10 degrees to 14 degrees, then yes, it absolutely could run better with a higher octane fuel, but again, it's the mechanical adjustment that a person has to physically make, against the advice of the manufacturer, that get's the credit for the increased performance.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-23-2002, 06:46 AM   #48
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD

Dual point distributors don't do anything for performance, but they do burn up points twice as fast and twice as often. BUT, with an MSD box, the points won't be carrying the voltage, they'll just be signaling the MSD box, so why waste the money on a dual point distributor? Mallory, for the most part, is like the K-mart of ignition parts. Their bearings wear out faster, their coils build up resistance faster than any others, but hey, they have cool stickers!

Do whatever your engine builder wants, but I wouldn't use a Mallory dual point if it was given to me.

Take care,
~Chris
Thanks, your help is greatly apprecaited and considered cause I'm kicking myself in the a*s right now. How much hp does the stickers add in performance? I will try to stop by at lunch and confirm if that is the one he (put/is putting) in and see how that goes and ask him why he thinks it's the best bet for me.

Thanks again Chris,
I'm makin' sure I ask for your advice before I do anything next. Who else makes good Distributors?

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:19 PM   #49
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by 1969Mach1
How much hp does the stickers add in performance?

Thanks again Chris,
I'm makin' sure I ask for your advice before I do anything next. Who else makes good Distributors?
Check with the local Honda car club about the stickers. I think they claim a 50 hp increase PER STICKER!

I prefer MSD distributors over other aftermarket choices, but often the factory units are fine.

Actually, my top choice for a distributor would be a DON ZIG Magneto, but you can't afford one.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!