MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-11-2001, 05:54 PM   #21
LX5liter
dude5l

First problem: air compressors will not live much past 700 - 1000 rpm, they are just not built for it.
Second problem:I dont think a leaf blower will produce enough psi. They may move a lot of air but you need pressure and volume.

------------------
B.R.
L.X. 5.0 coupe
Cruise control,power mirrors,...and Thats it!
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 01:02 PM   #22
89LXCarb
Registered Member

check out www.electricsupercharger.com
it seems kinda like an overglorified leaf blower to me.
and it only makes 5-15 xtra horse power

------------------
4 cyl converted to 302
comp cams cam, ported GT 40 heads, Edelbrock intake, holley carb
Turbo coupe rear with 373's
4 inch cowl hood
finally done after what seemed like forever!!!!!

89LXCarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 02:36 PM   #23
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

The biggest drawback to the howling monkeys is that they're louder than the whine from a Vortech, you'll hear them a couple of blocks away Seriously though, a supercharger moves one helluvalotta air and even a leaf blower would blow air slower than an engine could suck it... Back to the drawing board...

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B+M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 03:57 PM   #24
dinomite
The Dude

I think that a leaf blower would be fine, they move a lot of air.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 05:50 PM   #25
vegasmustang
Registered Member

Hook up a hose from your A/C to the intake. Well, actually running the A/C might slow your ET. LOL
vegasmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 10:54 AM   #26
jseaton
Registered Member

That web page with the electric blower is funny. This is really acting as a "ram air" effect. A supercharger or turbo actually is compressed air being forced into you engine. Without a way to regulate the compressed air in relation to fuel and timing, you might as well get ready for some serious damage. Not to say you couldn't design something to work, I mean when they invented these things years ago, they blew up their share of engines to understand how everything work in conjunction with each other. To do this correctly, there are many engineering formulas to figure out all of the rpm, fuel and timing curves.

Good luck.

------------------
82- 347, SVO A4, Scat Billet Crank, Crower Rods, Nowak Pistons, TFS Heads W/Crower Stainless Rockers, Victor Intake, Gold Claw, Paxton Fuel system, MSD ignition,
jseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 12:20 PM   #27
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LX5liter:
Second problem:I dont think a leaf blower will produce enough psi. They may move a lot of air but you need pressure and volume.
Ok, first off...have you even USED a leaf blower? Trying looking down the tube while its on. Your telling me the leaf blower wouldn't have enough air?

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 01:54 PM   #28
Stang Runner
Registered Member

There was a thing in one of the magazines that had a homemade TWIN TRUBO kit form parts a the Junk Yard. It was in like the low 12's.

------------------
1988 LX 5.0
Drivetrain: 2.73 Stock Gears, World Class T-5, Lakewood Bellhousing, Summit Adjustable Cluch Quadrant & Cable, Alumminum Driveshaft, Flaming River Manual Steering Rack
Suspension: MAC Control Arms,Maximum Motorsports Front Grip Package, H&R Sport Spings, Bilstein Shocks
Engine: Steal Mounts, Ram air, K&N, Under Drive Pulles
Exhaust: 1 5/8 Un-Equal Length Mac Headers, X-pipe W\cats, Edelbrock cat\back

Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 05:37 PM   #29
clearwaterms
Registered Member

Okay, three things...

#1 A leaf blower will not work, for a few reasons.
a. are you going to use a two cycle gas powered one? an electric one is designed to run off of a 110V AC, if you were to use a step up converter to get your 12V DC up to 110V AC the amount of power required is not possible for a car charging system. The other reason is at idle my blower puts out as much air as the leaf blower does at full throttle, at 9 PSI my blower is moving almost 800CFM.
b.The electric supercharger? I think the ricer or monkey's would make more power
c. The twin turbo's, go to jyturbo in the yahoo message forum, it is a group dedicated to using junkyard turbo's and accessories. For instance you can buy the huge intercooler used on the F350 power stroke diesel for like $250 from Ford, new. You can buy turbo's from a Turbo coupe, add some piping, and a boost controller and hello 12's or 11's.

And let's be honest, would you really want to roll up to the local hot spot...
"hold on, i have to pull start my [leaf] blower..."
clearwaterms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 03:56 PM   #30
LX5liter
dude5l

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeyDP:
Ok, first off...have you even USED a leaf blower? Trying looking down the tube while its on. Your telling me the leaf blower wouldn't have enough air?
I dont dispute they move a lot of air, but if you read my message i said pressure AND volume. you can have a ton of volume with very little pressure.

------------------
B.R.
L.X. 5.0 coupe
Cruise control,power mirrors,...and Thats it!
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 05:03 PM   #31
89FHPLX
Registered Member

Hey! Come on! I thought this was a Mustang site NOT A DAMM JAP! Site. You people sound like the other wannabe's with the loud fart machines. You want housepower, Buy the parts and dont make a fool of yourself like the Honda,(Jap cars) type. Ive seen crazy stuff here in florida with jap cars but I love when we use pure hosepower and letting them see our taillights. Mustangs are the bosses here in Florida when it comes down to it.
89FHPLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 02:07 AM   #32
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
well, i was( & have always) been thinking... why not try to hook the smog pump up to the intake? i dont know if it would work, but it feeds air into the exhaust. right? so why not it let air feed into the intake instead?

just my thoughts

------------------
1988 Mustang GT, T-5
3.08's, No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe, K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box), Removed Air SilencerMy Stang
My Site (Not Done Yet)
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 11:57 AM   #33
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

How about throwing an oxygen tank in your car and injecting oxygen into the cylinder?

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 10:13 PM   #34
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Pure oxygen combusts very easily. That is why people run nitrous oxide which is an innert gas. Pure O2 would make your car run really well, but not only would it be more expensive than nitrous, it would be dangerous as hell.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, Ported and Polished E7TEs, 2.25" duals w/ 2 chamber flowmasters, T5 tranny
New E/T!!!
14.626 @ 94.94mph, 2.194 60' time, a little better than last time. Keep in mind this thang is heavy (3590lbs) Finally 14s!!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 06:32 AM   #35
Mach 1
Registered Member

Its nice to dream, but i think anyone with a good sound mechanical brain will know this idea and ridiculous, and move on.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 08:11 AM   #36
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

if you ever ran direct o2 into a direct port setup can you say boom..lets think..what happens in a oxygen/sedulan torche after you add oxygen..it cuts metal..you wanna explode all you pistons at once then this is the way to do it..

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 08:37 AM   #37
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

My brother and I were talking about it and we thought of that too. It was just a post to go along with the sillyness that is going on in here =)

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 10:02 PM   #38
Francismaximus
Registered Member

Some flamer nameed josh made one and actually had it in readerws rides in MMAFF he said it didnt work to well. Why nt run your exuast to a tank to build and store pressure then intercool and inject it back into the engine.
Francismaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 10:29 PM   #39
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Thumbs up

You CAN get a compressor that flows enough. Many industrial units (Ingersoll Rand, Atlas Copco, Sullair) flow 1000+ CFM at 100psi, but requires a 250 hp motor to operate which renders the idea impossible.

The exhaust pressure idea sounds interesting, but it does sound similar to a turbo.

------------------
Russ L
'91 LX
Procharger, 3 row intercooler, extrude honed Cobra intake, Mac full Length Headers, 30# inj., 73mm C&L, 75mm tb, E303 cam, 289 rods, ported E7 heads, MSD, T-Rex w/255 lph Walbro, 5 lug conversion, Cobra R wheels, 3.27 gears and Moser Axles.
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 10:56 PM   #40
Robert_5_liter
Registered Member

Thumbs up

You guys have some good ideas if some of us took the time to experiment some of them something might work.
I like the creativity you guys have to make something to boost power

Robert_5_liter is offline   Reply With Quote