MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-11-2005, 07:23 PM   #41
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Re: voltage across battery when charging ?

Even if the battery is junk, shouldn't we still get a 14v reading on the terminals when the car is running?

What's the voltage on the battery with every thing disconnected? I mean JUST the battery. I'm still thinking that damn kill switch (SMOKED mine in no time) or a short somewhere.

This is killing me. Now I know how the wife feels when she watches her soap operas. I GOTTA KNOW!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:50 AM   #42
Mustang_289
Registered Member

This is always how I've determined whether a battery is failing or not. If 14v across the battery terminals told me the alt is doing it's thing. Then I replace the battery we've done in our stang.

My son and I decided to take the rear battery wiring out of the equation and temporally moved the battery back up front and wired it up OEM style. Same low below 13v when car is running.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #43
82 GT
Import Slayer

Your're making this harder than what it really is dude.....your PA alternator is shot.........period.
Send it back to be repaired or replaced.....BAM....back in business!!
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:02 AM   #44
82 GT
Import Slayer

So...did you replace that alternator yet?
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:50 AM   #45
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Yes we did - put a brand new Powermaster 140a alt on, same readings. We haven't touched it since then.

Here's what we've done to date:
* Changed alts with same readings.
* Swapped out the battery
* Relocated the battery to the front, removing these things from the equation:
- 2G wiring to the back of the car
- Ground to the frame in the rear of the car
- Kill switch located in the back of the car
* Checked and cleaned all the grounds
* Reconnected the ground strap to FW
Old 12-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #46
Joel5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_289
Yes we did - put a brand new Powermaster 140a alt on, same readings. We haven't touched it since then.

Here's what we've done to date:
* Changed alts with same readings.
* Swapped out the battery
* Relocated the battery to the front, removing these things from the equation:
- 2G wiring to the back of the car
- Ground to the frame in the rear of the car
- Kill switch located in the back of the car
* Checked and cleaned all the grounds
* Reconnected the ground strap to FW
Following your problem, looks like some checking of the alternator output on the car is recommended....not in terms of voltage but, in terms of amps. I know this is not classic but, a checking of the power output w/inductive clamp is suggested. This to verify that the alternator is indeed producing output and, if it is, then concentrate on whats causing the voltage draw in your car. A short, severe enough to cause the alternator to go full blast in amps, will cause the voltage drop and keep it below the 14.5vdc "all fine" goal. My other 2¢. LUK.......this one is really interesting.

1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops
NOW: 5.0L Stock SB, X303 Cam, 700 cfm DP Holley, 289 '66 Heads, 1.7 RR, Richmond Gear 4+1 Tranny, Centerforce DF, 2.73 Gears
WIP: 3.90 Gears, LS Overhaul, Adj. LCA's & UCA's (Granatelli), T-Top weather striping and rear braces bodywork
Joel5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:35 PM   #47
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Are any fuseable links invlolved in this equation? If so check/delete them.

Powermaster alts are "1 wire" type, correct? If so, where does that "1" wire connect to? I belive you said the starter solenoid, right? Check for corrosion on ALL the terminals on that solenoid post. Also, no washers between wire connections on there either. Galvanzed washers make good insulators....

I'm still going with my original theory, this is gonna be something "stoopid".......

MICE need not apply.....

Old 12-20-2005, 10:55 PM   #48
82 GT
Import Slayer

This is going to be one for the archives when we find the answer.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #49
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Jester: "Powermaster alts are "1 wire" type, correct? If so, where does that "1" wire connect to? I belive you said the starter solenoid, right? Check for corrosion on ALL the terminals on that solenoid post. Also, no washers between wire connections on there either. Galvanzed washers make good insulators...."

Powermaster one wire hookups go directly to the positive terminal on the battery.
Do you have the two blade terminal hookup for the voltage regulator on your powermaster too? I have the stock green wire going to the upper blade terminal as recommended by powermaster. Nothing is conncted to the lower blade terminal.
I don't want to sound redundant, but was the diameter of the pulley on the alternator ever measured?
I had this problem forever, b/c I switched alternators after I had installed underdrives, so my old alternator had the underdrive pulley, Not the 140 pwermaster out of the box.
I have 14.4volts at idle with a 1 7/8" alt pulley.
my grounds are crappy too, I still have that worthless stock strap from the head to the firewall and nothing going to the frame.
this one is going to be good...
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:04 PM   #50
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozer 88GTConv

Do you have the two blade terminal hookup for the voltage regulator on your powermaster too?
Powermaster alternators have a built in regulator. I'm not sure what your're referring to about a "green" wire.
My powermaster has a 2 gauge wire from the alt. to the battery.....nothing else.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #51
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

The literature accompanying the Powermaster said to install it that way. I'll get the exact nomenclature and post it...
Believe me, I wouldn't have done it if powermaster hadn't said to do it...it was a pita...
Old 12-21-2005, 08:05 PM   #52
82 GT
Import Slayer

I still have NO idea what you're talking about. My Powermaster came with no such instructions. I'm not saying I don't believe you; I just don't understand why our alternators are different.
The only extra on my unit was to be able to connect the factory ammeter gauge up if I wanted to.
Maybe yours is newer than mine. Mine is about 6 yrs. old.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:10 PM   #53
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

It's the "A" terminal on the voltage regulator pigtail. The green wire is attached to the upper blade terminal on the powermaster to provide field current to the alternator and according to the schematic, signals to "sensors".
I bought mine maybe three years ago?
Here's a pic...I have no idea if this is really necessary, I just followed directions b/c I don't know jack about electricity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pwmster.jpg (99.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-21-2005, 11:42 PM   #54
82 GT
Import Slayer

WOW...mine looks NOTHING like that. I literally have ONE wire hooked up to my powermaster and that's it......from battery to alternator.....done.
Hey...as long as it works.........
Old 12-22-2005, 07:46 AM   #55
Mustang_289
Registered Member

I think the earlier powermasters could be wired up one wire, or some of the original wires as well. The one we've got just has one wire.

I'm trying to find an Amp Clamp meter to check to amps being drawn.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:05 PM   #56
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Look for an open voltage sense wire ... your alternator isn't turning on ... you are reading battery voltage across the battery. The reason you see the full 14+ volts when you take the battery cable off is likely because thats just the way some voltage regulators work .. it has to do with bias voltages for the transistors in the regulator circuitry.

I got 50 cents says your regulator wire is open somewhere ... check the voltage right at the alternator terminal ... not the connector, but after the connector (could be broken inside the connector).

Forget underdrive pullys ... you eleminated that when you reved it up with no change .. forget a short in the output .. you short a 100+ amp alternator and your gonna have sparks, or at very least a very very hot wire somewhere. The only logical explination left that i can see, is the voltage sense wire, that tells your alternator what to put out ... if it's open and there is no signal getting to the regulator, then the alternator won't put out squat, leaving you with only battery voltage, which at full charge is around 12.6 volts.

Thats my 2 cents worth
Rod
Under Construction: 64 Falcon 372 cu in. stroker 1:72 rod ratio 6.250" rods (long rod), Comp Cams XE274 230/236 520/526 @ .050, Scorpion Rollers, Roush 200 irons, 10:1 Keith Blacks, Hedman long tubes, 750 Holley DP, Edelbrock Victor Jr., C4 3500 stall, gears and tires to be anounced.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:56 PM   #57
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRoddin
Look for an open voltage sense wire ... your alternator isn't turning on ... you are reading battery voltage across the battery. The reason you see the full 14+ volts when you take the battery cable off is likely because thats just the way some voltage regulators work .. it has to do with bias voltages for the transistors in the regulator circuitry.

I got 50 cents says your regulator wire is open somewhere ... check the voltage right at the alternator terminal ... not the connector, but after the connector (could be broken inside the connector).

Forget underdrive pullys ... you eleminated that when you reved it up with no change .. forget a short in the output .. you short a 100+ amp alternator and your gonna have sparks, or at very least a very very hot wire somewhere. The only logical explination left that i can see, is the voltage sense wire, that tells your alternator what to put out ... if it's open and there is no signal getting to the regulator, then the alternator won't put out squat, leaving you with only battery voltage, which at full charge is around 12.6 volts.

Thats my 2 cents worth
Rod

I think we have a winner! HotRoddin, where the hell have you been for the last 4 pages??? LOL

Sounds legit to me, check into it and LET US KNOW!!!

MICE need not apply.....

Old 12-23-2005, 05:11 PM   #58
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Plot thickens,,,

Just checked the amps coming out of the alt, a little over 20A, tells me nothing is sucking a lot of amps to cause volts to drop.

Currently we've got a Powermaster 1-wire alt on the car, not sure how these alts turn on.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:45 PM   #59
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Plot thickens,,,

Currently we've got a Powermaster 1-wire alt on the car, not sure how these alts turn on.
They are self "excited" which means the field windings are not energized until rpms are at about 2500 rpms.
Start the engine and rev it to at least 2500 rpms and then take your readings.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:04 PM   #60
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Well that blows my theory all to heck !!

I must have read the posts wrong ... didn't know you had a 1 wire alt.

I'd rev it up like 82 Gt said, to make sure it's "excited", then turn on all accessories to load it down ... then take your volt meter and measure from ground (make sure its a good ground !!) to the battery term. then to the battery clamp, then to the cable as it comes out of the clamp, then to the first conn. at the other end of the cable, then the conn. to the alt itself ... somewhere you are dropping 2 or 3 volts and you should be able to find it fairly easy.

If you are getting 12.3 volts even at the back of the alt. then measure the voltage between the alt. case and the neg battery terminal ... should be zero ... if you're close to that, then your alt just isn't turning on ... in your case isn't getting "excited" ... a problem i've never had

If none of that gains you any new info then i think it's time for a trip to the local auto electric shop.

Rod
Under Construction: 64 Falcon 372 cu in. stroker 1:72 rod ratio 6.250" rods (long rod), Comp Cams XE274 230/236 520/526 @ .050, Scorpion Rollers, Roush 200 irons, 10:1 Keith Blacks, Hedman long tubes, 750 Holley DP, Edelbrock Victor Jr., C4 3500 stall, gears and tires to be anounced.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote