MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-29-2006, 01:50 PM   #41
PKRWUD

Default Re: carb issues

Are you saying that your balancer is marked for a passenger side pointer?

How do you know it hadn't moved if you can't time it?

Here's the best way to time it, in your circumstance:

Hook up your new vacuum gauge, and start it. Turn the distributor, however you need to, so the you get the highest reading on your vacuum gauge, then retard it until the reading on the gauge goes down 1/2" (half a number). Tighten down the distributor, put away the vacuum gauge, and test drive it.

Let's continue this via email.

pkrwuds@pacbell.net
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!

Last edited by PKRWUD; 09-29-2006 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: to add instructions
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:11 PM   #42
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKRWUD

Let's continue this via email.

pkrwuds@pacbell.net
Lol, I was just about to ask you that, cause with a little help, I think I can get you the timing numbers you are looking for. Email to follow

Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:35 AM   #43
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Well, looks like I lose the farm. lol. It's been my experience for more than 20 years that Mallory makes junk. I will never buy another product of theirs,
Amen Bro!

Quote:
all though in all fairness, the coil in our sprint car is a Mallory, and it still works.
Prolly not for long! LOL

Ryan, you said "metal hitting plastic", and loose distributor bolt. Did you yank the cap and make sure the rotor didn't eat the inside of your cap, or vice versa?

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:59 AM   #44
rwhite65
Ride Hard

No, I got this darn wedding today, so I haven’t been able to do much else tinkering on it. Come Monday, I am going to get a good timing mark set up, and check all of the other stuff...like the cap and electrical pick up thingy.

Right now though, I am somewhat suspicious of my module in the Mallory distributor. It is acting a lot like it did last time it went, although it did a lot more back firing that time. Maybe Rev will chime in here and tell me what his did when it went bad. I also had one go bad and it just wouldn’t start.
Ryan

Old 09-30-2006, 02:03 PM   #45
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

82GT had a few go bad too. Maybe he'll help out here. Maybe time to upgrade to an MSD?

On a side note, My Duraspark has seen 9,000 RPM (crank speed, which is 4,500 ditzy) and NO problems!

MICE need not apply.....

Old 09-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #46
82 GT
Import Slayer

Yep, I've had two go bad so far and each time came with NO warning....it just quit! The first time it happened, it just wouldn't start. Second time it happened, I was driving to my friends house and it just quit and left me set along the road until my friend came and towed me home.
Mallory has made a new module called the E module, which is supposed to be better than the original and half the price. That's what I have in now and so far...so good.

Just a reminder though, you CAN NOT jump start a car with the module hooked up with those Mallory modules.
You can also buy an inline filter that protects against current spikes, which is what actually kills the modules. You MUST also run a ballast resistor inline with the module....or it eventually kills the module.
But like I said, the "new" modules are supposed to be not as sensitive to current fluctuations but still need to be taken care of.
I don't like Mallory stuff either but I would still rather have one of their fuel pumps instead of this JUNK Holley blue pump.

Ryan, did you get that book in the mail today? If not, you'll prolly get it Monday. Let me know when it arrives though.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #47
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite65
No, I got this darn wedding today, so I haven’t been able to do much else tinkering on it. Come Monday, I am going to get a good timing mark set up, and check all of the other stuff...like the cap and electrical pick up thingy.

Right now though, I am somewhat suspicious of my module in the Mallory distributor. It is acting a lot like it did last time it went, although it did a lot more back firing that time. Maybe Rev will chime in here and tell me what his did when it went bad. I also had one go bad and it just wouldn’t start. Ryan

When my Unilite modules fail, the engine just stops as if you had turned off the ignition switch. Then it would start right up again for some unknown period of time. I did call Mallory the first time that happened and they told me that was what the module did when it was beginning to fail. I did have one that would cause a backfire because it would turn off the spark momentarily and the turn it back on again. None of this sounds like what your engine is doing though. Wish I could be more help.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #48
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 GT
I don't like Mallory stuff either but I would still rather have one of their fuel pumps instead of this JUNK Holley blue pump.
You're KILLIN me dude!!! You are one of the FEW peeps I've let tip-toe naked through my brain! LMAO

Something wrong with the mounting on your Blue pump. NOT supposed to be that loud.

The only "official" Mallory product I've owned is a fuel pressure regulator (came with the car) and it now lives in the weeds along side a local race track. Pretty sure it's still there, haven't looked lately. LOL

MICE need not apply.....

Old 09-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #49
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~The Jester~
You're KILLIN me dude!!! You are one of the FEW peeps I've let tip-toe naked through my brain! LMAO

Something wrong with the mounting on your Blue pump. NOT supposed to be that loud.

The only "official" Mallory product I've owned is a fuel pressure regulator (came with the car) and it now lives in the weeds along side a local race track. Pretty sure it's still there, haven't looked lately. LOL
I don't know what's wrong with it but it's LOUD! I guess the good thing about that, is if I'm driving down the road and I don't hear the pump anymore then I'll IMMEDIATLY know the pump quit. There will be no guess work there as to what happened...LOL
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #50
82 GT
Import Slayer

BTW, if anybody out there has a mallory fuel pump and wants to trade up for a Holley, then let me know. I'll mail this POS out the same day!
I won't be able to take take it off fast enough!
Old 10-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #51
Dark Knight
Registered Member

Had a couple holley blue pumps... both were louder than hell.. noth are in the dump somwhere. GOt a mallory comp 140, nice and quiet.. sat for a couple years with fuel in it then tried it and it still works.. going on a friends BB 67 coupe.

Holley does make a quiet blue pump now.. but they're almost $100 more than the regular blue pump..
13.58@102.84 and a '68 stang .. project 8 sec street car... 557 big block + N20 :-)
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #52
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Well, as you can see my plugs look new and the wires are good. This is not the same as when a wire goes bad, because I have had that before too.

82GT-
I have the power module filter thingy on there now. Although, I have jump started the car SEVERAL times this year....so that part I didn’t know. Are you actually saying with that Mallory Unilite, we can’t jump start the cars?? I did get the book, going to study in the squad car tonight with any luck of a dead night. Thanks bro!!

Jester-
I have thought several times of going with the Duraspark, but they are so darn big compared to the nice little Unilite, but then again at least they work.

Unfortunately, I may work on it tom morning, but odds are it will be wed before I can get to it.
Stay tuned,
Ryan

Old 10-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #53
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
82GT-
I have the power module filter thingy on there now. Although, I have jump started the car SEVERAL times this year....so that part I didn’t know. Are you actually saying with that Mallory Unilite, we can’t jump start the cars?? I did get the book, going to study in the squad car tonight with any luck of a dead night. Thanks bro!!
You can jump start the car but you MUST unplug the module before you do it though, otherwise, it slowly kills the module. It's written in the instructions but most people don't read them because they figure they already know how to install a dizzy.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #54
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 GT
It's written in the instructions but most people don't read them because they figure they already know how to install a dizzy.

We got a comedian in the house everybody !!

Seriously, I usually read all that stuff, but I guess I didnt read or remember that part. That makes me suspect a little bit more that the module may be bad.

Thanks for the insight bud!
Ryan

Old 10-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #55
82 GT
Import Slayer

Wasn't trying to be asmart ass Ryan bacause....everybody has done stuff like before, including myself. I burned a module or two up before I read on their website that you can't jump start them with the module connected.
I wasn't saying just because you knew how to install a dizzy, you didn't bother reading the instructions. I was merely pointing out how easy it can be for people to do that. I'm here to help
Old 10-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #56
rwhite65
Ride Hard

[QUOTE=82 GT]
Mallory has made a new module called the E module, which is supposed to be better than the original and half the price. That's what I have in now and so far...so good.

QUOTE]

Is this the one you have now?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Ryan

Old 10-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #57
82 GT
Import Slayer

No mine is part# MAA-609 unless they have a new part number for the new module now.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #58
82 GT
Import Slayer

Here is the one I have now: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

It replaces the old MAA-609 unit.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #59
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Brian-
I was trying to give you a hard time. I know you were not poking fun at me...although you should be. I will have to read up on their site about that. Seems kind of stupid that u have to unplug that to jump start it….. I don’t see how it could start then either.

Thanks for the part number.
Ryan

Old 10-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #60
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Brian-
I was trying to give you a hard time. I know you were not poking fun at me...although you should be. I will have to read up on their site about that. Seems kind of stupid that u have to unplug that to jump start it….. I don’t see how it could start then either.

Thanks for the part number.
Ryan
I was wondering that same thing! If you unplug the module, how does the car start?

MICE need not apply.....