MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2001, 01:54 AM   #1
mustangbob19
Registered Member

Question Details on Timing

Everyone says it's a breeze but, what is the proper method for setting the timing? Please be specific I've never done it before. Also, what is a good timing light to buy?

Thanks

------------------
90 Mustang GT (hatchback)
3.55's, dyno-max exhaust,
Mac Cold Air Induction
mustangbob19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 02:25 PM   #2
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation

hey bob. the correct way is to disconnect the PIP jumper that is coming out of the harness by the distributor. they are yellow wires with a square block that plugs in the connector. disconnect it with the car off, start it, set your timing where you want it. turn it off, reconnect little square looking jumper, and start the car. there you have it.
a good timing light? depends what you want to do with it. example, you can get one with the advance knob on it for checking timing for indexed cams and other uses, or you can get a plain jane one. any of them are good. i have snap on, so that tells you right there that they are expensive. anyone will do, basically. hope i helped

------------------
90 LX Black on Black
Flowbabies, h-pipe, Mac unequal shorties, K&N, Hurst, subframes, Motorsport springs, MSD coil
srv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 10:27 PM   #3
mustangbob19
Registered Member

thanks. anyone else?

------------------
90 Mustang GT (hatchback)
3.55's, dyno-max exhaust,
Mac Cold Air Induction
mustangbob19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 09:14 AM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Lightbulb

I can't say that I know how to adjust the timing on a 90GT but on a 95GT it goes something like this:

1. Disconnect SPOUT. The Spout on the 94/95 cars is the wire that lets the computer advance the timing. Since you want to advance the mechanical timing with out the computer getting in the way you need to disconnect this. In the SN95 5.0 it is a little grey plastic piece that looks kind of like a fuse. I'm not sure what the fox has, srv1 was maybe talking about that.

2. Buy an inductive timing light. I bough one a month ago from Sears, it was just a plain model and sold for $30 + tax.

3. Connect the timing light to the battery and then connect the inductive pickup over the #1 plug wire.

4. Loosen the distributor so that it can be turned by hand. You don't want it too lose, just enough so that you can turn it with some mild effort.

5. I would also go under the car and put some white out on the desired timing mark. If you are aiming for 10 degrees, then find 10 degrees and but a line on it. The pulley on the 95 makes it impossible to read with out doing this.

6. Start the car and aim the light at the crank pulley. You should see a timing mark on the block. Watch the little white line you made move as you move the distributor. Just move the distributor so that the white line lines up with the timing mark.

7. Tighten down the distributor, and retest to make sure that the distributor did not move while you where tightening.

I hope that is enough detail. It may not be the "textbook" way to adjust the timing, but that is what I do. If all this is too elementry then I appologize for going in to so much detail.

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote