MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-05-2001, 07:25 PM   #1
SLIGHTLY_INSAIN
I AM ME!!!!

Post Snow Travel

I was wondering how my mustang 5.0 would handel in snow. any one have experence with this? any thoughts would be good. thanks.

[This message has been edited by SLIGHTLY_INSAIN (edited 09-05-2001).]
SLIGHTLY_INSAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 08:17 PM   #2
avbcon12
Registered Member

dont even try it. you wont get anywhere, at least not here in mighigan. if you try, you have to put sand bags in the back.

Adam
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 08:19 PM   #3
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

It is one of the most dangerous cars on the road in snow.... unless you drive with common sense. If the roads are real icy, I'd leave it home.

With the light rear-end and available power, it will spin tires very easily, causing you to be all over the place.

You will need good tires and a light foot. If you take it easy and don't try to push it too hard, you'll probably get where you're going in one piece.

------------------
'89 LX 5.0 - 5 speed. Original Owner
'94 E-150 4.9 Conversion Van
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 08:24 PM   #4
SLIGHTLY_INSAIN
I AM ME!!!!

Mmmmm then i guess i will have to wait for now on the mustang..... I was asking because i go snowboarding in the cascades every winter and i kinda need a vehicle that will get me up there in one peice.....too bad though it was a 93 LX 5.0 white vert. and for 7000....
Old 09-05-2001, 10:16 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Dude, don't listen to those candyasses. I drive my Mustang through winters here in central, MN. Get some blizzaks and laugh at the FWD cars.

My friend goes snowbank plowing with his 87GT. Just has a set of Blizzaks 205/65 15's and two sandbags in the back. He made it up a Ski Lodge hill that was totally iced over, sending 4wd trucks backwards. Get the tires, and don't worry about it at all.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 08:25 AM   #6
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Cool

I made it through a few winters with just my stock XGT-Z4's on the stock pony rims in my new 91. My 90 coupe missed the snow last spring but will get snow duty this winter. I gotta get me an extra pair of 10 hole rims, maybe just get a whole set of the 215/65' blizaks. Am definatley getting a few tube sand bags from home depot for the trunk.

Most of the guys here have nice modifed cars and probably only drive them in good weather, us real daily drivers gotta drive in snow to get to work in the northeast

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch, FMS blue wires Energy Suspension end links
88 Notch 2.3L 5 speed Parts/beater car My two Notchbacks

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 Finally fixed getting a 454 to put in garage
<A HREF="http://www.chevellepages.com/folingo" TARGET=_blank>www.chevellepages.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 08:53 AM   #7
RMARIANI
Registered Member

Last year was my worst experience yet with my '89 GT. We had 2 pretty bad storms in Jersey. The first one I actually made it home. The second, I got stuck about 3 miles from home. I was able to slide backwards into a parking lot and walk the rest of the way. I'm talking about blizzards though. Regular snow, as long as your careful, isn't that big of a deal. Who makes Blizzaks?? This is the first time I've ever heard of them.
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 12:39 PM   #8
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Talking

Bridgstone makes the blizzaks in lots of performance sizes, a real soft compound snow tire. Yokohama and others make a similar type of tire now as well. Check out Tire Rack they have lots of listings there
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 12:58 PM   #9
KobraLX
Registered Member

If it can be avoided I recommend it, because I have 5 years of experience doing it.

The main problem I have out of mine is front refuses to steer and yes the *** -end does want to swap on you. You have to drive very carefully. I did drive it home one morning after a bad ice storm with one bald and I mean bald front passenger side tire. The rest weren't that great either but I made a 29 mile drive passing several 4X4's off in the ditches...so it can be done.

I heard a Torsen or Gold Trac diff, a better suspension (Griggs or Global West)and good tires will make a world of difference.
KobraLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 01:04 PM   #10
jerryIII

Wink

all cars suk in blizzards and heavy snow!!!

funny part is watching the 4x4 owners go in the ditch, because they believe the commercials and are driving with a false sense of security..

if you drive with your head, you'll be fine.

------------------
Black,84 GT,ground effects,shorty headers, 'open' dual exh.,302 HO(no pollution control crap)bored .060, 10.5" clutch, T5,89 ported heads, edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock 2122 cam, 600 Holley, high volume oil pump, front P235/60/R15's, rear P245/60/R15's.....

Some day (3:73 gears & N2O)!!!

will this ever end????
Old 09-06-2001, 01:05 PM   #11
bada$$lx

Cool

If it's stock or slightly modified you would do ok w/ nice tires and a weighed down rear, although I'd rather not attempt going up any snowy/icy hills . If I were you, and if you could, I'd get the Stang for the good weather and a second car (AWD or FWD) for the crappy weather!

------------------
'90 LX 5.0;12K original miles (no sh*&);3.55 gears; March pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads;BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties;MSD 6AL ignition w/ blaster 2 coil;FMS E303 cam;Pro-M 75mm MAF;BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit;Southside welded subs;9" K&N cone filter charger;Hurst shifter;Cervini's 3" turbo hood;A/C delete; gutted cats;2 chamber Flomasters;Corbeau racing seats;FMS 30# injectors;JMS chip; Holley 190lb fp;TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113 - 1.78 60')
Old 09-06-2001, 01:21 PM   #12
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

I'm actually going though the same problem right now. I got my stang about a year ago and had to go though last winter with it and it wasn't too much fun. I'm lookin for a POS 4x4 for the winter but not having too much luck. I almost killed myself several times last year and now at school i live on a big hill driveway so I'm screwed if I use the stang this winter.

Wish my luck guys.
Later

------------------
95 Red Mustang GT
Pro 5.0
MAC fenderwall cold air induction kit
Mostly stock(looking to modify)
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 05:37 PM   #13
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Yeah I drove my stang in the snow/ice last year and it sucked. Tried pulling out of my driveway and got stuck. I got stuck in about 10 places, carry some kitty litter around with you. Also if you have a 5-speed even just a little bit of gas you'll spin. I suggest if you are going to use the stang in the winter, get some good snow tires, or studded tires, throw some sandbags in the back. But I would avoid all hills when it's icy, no matter what car/truck your driving. My sisters eclipse did awesome in the ice, we took it just about everywhere, and it was FWD. Anyway be careful..........

------------------
1989 GT, 3:55's, full exhaust, 4 in. hood, Pro 5.0, Have many other parts 4 sale. All parts for sale now.

2000 Camaro SS-A4, 13.7's bone stock.

1989 Chevy S-10, EX. Cab-383(500+hp on motor), trick flow heads, trick flow pistons, etc... autometer phantom gauges, "built" 700R4, roll cage, lexan back window, corbeau seats, R.H.S. 5 harnesses, Fuel cell, convo pro wheels, 15x14's with 29x18.5 M/T'S on back, 15x4's on front, nitrous, and so much more!
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 06:06 PM   #14
dinomite
The Dude

heh, ya, snow isn't very fun in a mustang. anyone ever put chains on theirs? i always thought it would be wildly amusing to see a mustang with chains.......
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 06:48 PM   #15
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I agree with 1BAD89 on the getting stuck on a relatively flat driveway. My friend had a maybe 5* incline on his driveway. There was about 2" of snow on it, and he couldn't drive up it without me pushing on the back.

I laughed at him. He thought tires and sandbags were gonna make that much of a difference. He had brand new RE940's. M+S rated and everything.

So he throws the tires on. Backs down the driveway. As I await the inevitable wheelspin and futile attempt to go forward, he shocked the hell out of me. Drives forward, backward, forward. Then backs up, drives through his fin yard with 6" of snow in it, pushing snow out of the way with his front spoiler and takes off out into the street, thoroughly whooping his neighbor who was racing right after him in a 4x4 full size chev. Nearly took out Eric's mailbox with that behemoth.

It was unreal. Impossible, but that 87GT beats everything other than AWD cars accelerating, everything stopping, and everything cornering.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 04:13 PM   #16
BilLster
Registered Member

ive driven my stang daily since i bought it new through every winter untill i got a van then my dad wrote off the van i have a pic of my car with snow pilled above it i wish i had a scanner.

------------------
89 with 395 single stage n2o .garret t3. 373's Suspention worked out finnaly . need cage .
BilLster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 04:23 PM   #17
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

dinomite - I used chains on mine once when I got caught away from home during an ice storm. It's a kidney shaker. I got home pretty easily, although many didn't.

------------------
'89 LX 5.0 - 5 speed. Original Owner
'94 E-150 4.9 Conversion Van
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 04:50 PM   #18
SLIGHTLY_INSAIN
I AM ME!!!!

Thanks for all your advise and stories, i am a dayly driver and have some snow experence, in a 242 volvo, (was brodsided 5 months augo by a riced out ford excort no less) and now i know that i will be mostly all right if i just keep my head and am in no hury. And any recomendations for all season tires? where i live around my house there is little snow, have to go into the cascades for that.
Old 09-11-2001, 01:50 AM   #19
Mustank the Destroyer

If you're still worried, you could always borrow or rent a car for driving to the cascades - don't pass up the chance to own a Mustang. You won't regret it.
Old 09-11-2001, 06:25 AM   #20
PKRWUD

Just to emphasize something that 1BAD89 mentioned, and I know first hand from living in New Jersey, is KITTY LITTER! forget sand bags, buy kitty litter. It works just as good for weight, and if/when you get stuck, it's like traction-in-a-bag. Just spread it out under the front and rear of your drive wheels.

Hehe. I live in So Cal, and I'm giving advice about driving in the snow. Now that's funny.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote