MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-12-2002, 10:20 PM   #1
TOM90LX
Registered Member

Question help crankshaft dampner stuck!!

I was putting back the crank shaft dampner after doing a cam install and heads install and I could not turn the crank after tightening down the bolt on the dampner to draw it closer to the front engine cover.

However, if I take the dampner off and install just the bolt, I can turn the crank rather easily.

Did I do something wrong? Could the timing cover be misaligned?? How do I figure out if that is the problem?

I need to figure this out.. someone give me advice please!!

Tom
Moroso cold air ,73 mm MAF, 65 mm FMS TB, Cobra intake, adj fuel pres reg. 24# inj, 155lph fuel pump, accel supercoil, electric fan, 180 deg thermostat, 3 row HD radiator, march underdrive pulleys, GT40X heads, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Mac 1 5/8 shorty headers, hi-flow 2.25" cats, dynomax superturbo 2.5" cat back, g-brace, strut tower brace, Global West TBF-1 lower control arms, caster/camber plates, Steeda rear adj swaybar, GlobalWest Traclink torque arm, SVO 73mm caliper pistons, stainless steel braided hose brake lines, 17 inch 5 star wheels, Tokico Illumina shocks/struts, Global West specific rate springs, flaming river steering shaft. FMS Cobra clutch, Steeda adj. clutch cable, 85 GT halo headrests, white face gauges, white face a/c panel, leather brake handle, leather shift knob, Ford Racing custom leather interior, Pony emboridered floor mats, Saleen Alum pedals. Cobra A/C knobs
TOM90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 10:51 PM   #2
PKRWUD

Lightly scuff the inside of the balancer, where it goes over the crank, with some 4-O steel wool, then generously add some anti-seize to the crank snout, and do the best you can. Then, get a longer bolt that has the same size and thread pitch as the one that holds the balancer in place, and use it to move the balancer in. If you use the stock bolt, you won't get enough threads, and will strip out the end of the crank. Not alot of fun, trust me.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 06:22 AM   #3
TOM90LX
Registered Member

I can get the dampner on the snout all the way.. the problem is I cannot turn the engine over after its on. I cant rotate the crankshaft. I can only rotate the crank when I don't have the balancer on and only a bolt through the end of the snout.

Any suggestions? Other people say I might have a wrong bolt in the timing cover that is hitting the back of the dampner?

Tom
Moroso cold air ,73 mm MAF, 65 mm FMS TB, Cobra intake, adj fuel pres reg. 24# inj, 155lph fuel pump, accel supercoil, electric fan, 180 deg thermostat, 3 row HD radiator, march underdrive pulleys, GT40X heads, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Mac 1 5/8 shorty headers, hi-flow 2.25" cats, dynomax superturbo 2.5" cat back, g-brace, strut tower brace, Global West TBF-1 lower control arms, caster/camber plates, Steeda rear adj swaybar, GlobalWest Traclink torque arm, SVO 73mm caliper pistons, stainless steel braided hose brake lines, 17 inch 5 star wheels, Tokico Illumina shocks/struts, Global West specific rate springs, flaming river steering shaft. FMS Cobra clutch, Steeda adj. clutch cable, 85 GT halo headrests, white face gauges, white face a/c panel, leather brake handle, leather shift knob, Ford Racing custom leather interior, Pony emboridered floor mats, Saleen Alum pedals. Cobra A/C knobs
TOM90LX is offline   Reply With Quote