MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-25-2002, 07:29 PM   #1
Coupe Devil

Default 4 speed in a fox ??

I have seen in times past when people put old style top loader 4 speeds in foxes. Is there any real advantage or disadvantage. I think it would br pretty cool for a street toy myself. I think a regular blow proof bellhousing liek a lakewood or such would work, just wondering about clutch linkage and the rearr mount.

Any info is appreciated
Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:02 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

Well I jsut found out that Summit stocks an SFI bellhousing for 277 for doing this exact thing. Cant find much for a crossmember and mount so if anyone has any info let me know.

Bradley

Old 11-25-2002, 09:54 PM   #3
Shaggy
Registered Member

I did one years ago in an old fox i had the mount you want to use is the stock T-5 mount you will need to adjust your crossmember as far forward as it will go just grind the spot welds slide it forward and re spot weld it.

I have a question though why do you want to do this you lose your overdrive? (which really sucks on the street) If you need the strentgh the tremec was actually designed after the for toploader but with the extra gear.

Speaking of which if you buy the aluminum belhousing for a tremec a toploader will bolt to it and it is cheaper than the SFI you can also use the early 79 to 83 SROD bellhousing as well from a junkyard. only problem with either one of those options is they will not allow an 11" clutch but IMHO the 10.5 clutch with the proper assembly will be more then anouhg for most street cars anyway.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:15 PM   #4
Coupe Devil

I just thought it would be cool, The tremec would be ok to. I know I want a stick car now and I thought that the 4 speed would be cool. My buddy has a toploader in his 351 65 model coupe and its a blast to drive. Just seems more fun for some reason. I would be willing to trade a built up aod for a tremec with bellhousing though. Just gotta get the aod rebuilt. Dont figure anyone will go for that trade but I would

Bradley

Old 11-26-2002, 12:58 AM   #5
MEDIK418
Registered Member

People who have never shifted a top loader have no idea what speed-shifting is all about. Being like. . .really old, all we had as neophytes was top loaders, Muncies, Borg-Warner T-10 crash boxes and the like. with those you can hold the loud pedal on the floor and just bang away at the shifter without even getting the clutch all the way in. The things just kinda fall into gear no matter how hard you bang the shifter. I don't think I would like to go back to not having an overdrive but they are a lot of fun.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 03:38 AM   #6
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

I've been using a Jerico DR4 for the past year, which is a modern hybrid of the toploaders and muncies... purpose built for drag racing. The thing I like best about it is the V-gate shifter... no 'H' pattern to contend with, and the sucker just falls right into the next gear. No such thing as worrying about missing a gear

I've never had so much fun pullin' gear before in my life, beats the hell out of any T5 or Tremec (I've run each one in my car in the past).

The trade-off is that it is not very streetable... not very streetable at all

It's really pretty to look at too, IMHO...
Jerico picture

I started with a new x-member, which do not come welded-up like they are from the factory... it's positioned in the middle of the bushings. I use an energy suspension tranny mount also.

I had to beat the HECK! out of the trans tunnel in order for the linkage to clear. Had cut the opening in the trans tunnel to clear the shifter, as it sits much closer to the driver, and had to modify the center console accordingly...
console picture

-Ryan

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph

Last edited by ultraflo; 11-26-2002 at 03:44 AM..
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 01:50 PM   #7
5.0L_Of_Fury
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pony_power_90
I would be willing to trade a built up aod for a tremec with bellhousing though.

Bradley

No Substitute For Cubic Inches!
BURN EM UP
fivepointzero@kytnar.org

"Give 'Er Hell"
"They Call It Minute Rice..Gee Are Those Actually Track Times?"
Firemen: We Find 'Em Hot And Leave 'Em Wet"
Rice Haters Club Member #23 (GM Ricer Fads)
Gotta Love Hatin 'Em
CLUTCHES,FUEL PUMP RELAYS,FOUR CYLINDERS
5.0L_Of_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 09:33 PM   #8
FordTim
Registered Member

I have an '87 with a toploader and the fox specific Lakewood scattershield , I only had to modify the floor and the trans. mount slightly to make it work.I mostly race the car so I wasn't too worried about losing 5th, but it would be nice in a daily driver.