MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-24-2002, 01:07 AM   #1
pac663
Registered Member

Default TB Coolant Passage

Is it ok to bypass the passage for the coolant through the throtle body? If so, why is it there? Is there any benefit? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:16 AM   #2
avbcon12
Registered Member

its there to cool down the EGR spacer. if you still have the EGR operable then leave it alone!!
otherwise you will be heating up the intake with hot gases from the EGR.

adam
ported GT-40 heads w/ 1.7RR, Cobra intake w/ ported lower, 24# injectors, 190LPH pump, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 65mm TB, K&N panel, BBK long tubes, Off road H-pipe, 2 ch. Flowmaster, Black magic fan, Kirban FPR, 180 deg. T-stat, 3.73's, Steeda Tri-Ax, 130 amp alt. Accell 8.8 race wires/cap/rotor, motorcraft plugs, Factory Five suspension, etc etc etc....

http://avbcon12.stangnet.com
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 01:24 PM   #3
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Not worth it...

I agree with leaving the coolant lines attached to your EGR spacer. The coolant is hot, true, but it is far cooler and still acts as a heat exchanger for EGR air which is considerably hotter than coolant.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 07:29 PM   #4
pac663
Registered Member

"COOL" Thanks.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:08 PM   #5
StreetStang37
Registered Member

I disconnected my lines and my EGR spacer and intake manifold run much much cooler now and on average I run about .2-.3 Mph faster on the GTECH with them disconnected. No dyno runs done, but my car runs better with it off, I haven't had any problems with it. It's your choice if you want a HOT or COOLER egr to COOL those gasses.
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 07:40 PM   #6
gtsr515
Registered Member

Hozer said it right, the lines are to add heat for cold-start up, disconnecting then will increase heat transfer, not cool transfer.

I remember an article in 1987 MM/FF, the top 10 things not to do, and that was number 2 on the list.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:16 AM   #7
Mach 1
Registered Member

Heat for cold start up? There shouldnt be any heat there if its cold and then the coolant is also cold.

I would leave it connected if you have the EGR functional(although the cobra intake has EGR and doesnt use the coolant line) and disconnect it if the egr is non-functional.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 02:38 PM   #8
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Coolant lines...

The coolant flowing through the EGR spacer COOLS the high-temperature air of the EGR system. If you disconnect it and your EGR system is intact, you are in effect superheating your intake charge of air, decreasing its density and robbing yourself of horsepower.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 04:59 PM   #9
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Get a Cobra intake and don't worry about it... They didn't!!
Old 02-27-2002, 05:48 AM   #10
StreetStang37
Registered Member

what would make the Cobra intake so special as to not need to "cool" the incomming gasses with the hot coolant then? Did Ford forget them? They must have done it for a reason.
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 11:30 AM   #11
Mach 1
Registered Member

well, for one reason the cobra intake uses a "built in" EGR spacer.

It doesnt have the separate EGR plate that contains the cooling lines and the fluid path for the coolant.

Why did Ford do this?

Who knows? Probably cheaper to manufacture or something.
RHC member #142
Old 02-27-2002, 01:05 PM   #12
gtsr515
Registered Member

Default COOLANT PASSAGE

Hozer is right on again, the coolant lines help with heating the air on cold-start up AND cool the super heated air when hot, MACH 1!, think about it, yes the car is bone cold upon start-up, but, the second you start the car, the water pump is distributing the warming coolant. And the reason Ford made the one piece Cobra intake/EGR was to eliminate tooling costs.

I've seen holes drilled into opposite sides of the EGR area, tapped, then a 1/4" threaded hose barb TO BOTH SIDES, and coolant lines plumbed into the system. ANYTHING to help cool the air is worth the trouble. KEEP THE LINES CONNECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2002, 01:15 PM   #13
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

no egr no coolant lines and a plenum spacer =very cool intake..proof is in the doing..not reading and retyping what someone else has posted in the past..do it yourself and post logically or dont post at all..not trying to be a d1ck but way 2 many people on all BB(not just mworks) post something and ague that they are right but never have actally did it themselfs(not saying that all you guys havent)

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:43 PM   #14
gtsr515
Registered Member

You should take your own advice, I was clearing up confusion for MACH 1, and answered very logically, and I have done this myself, for 15 years now. No EGR, etc, is a very cool intake, but that is not what Pac663 asked, he asked if it was okay to "bypass", not "eliminate" the coolant lines. Read the post before you mouth off and accuse me of arguing, I was just replying to a post, excuse me!

The reason I repeated what Hozer said was thats exactly what I was gonna say, sorry, I'll never do it again okay?
Old 02-27-2002, 02:14 PM   #15
Mach 1
Registered Member

I dont think I was ever confused...but anyway...cold coolant is not going to help cold air get warm when the engine is cold, along with the coolant. By the time the coolant is warm, so is the engine. The engine gets warm before the coolant.

And why would ford want to heat the incoming air? Is that why they put the air filter in the fender, away from heat, just so they could heat it up anyway with hot coolant and lose performance. I could see heating the cold air at cold start up only to facilitate engine warm up for emissions and gas mileage concerns, but the system doesnt work that way. It constantly routes hot coolant through the passage after the car is warmed up.

The coolant is there to cool the EGR gas only. If you have EGR leave it, if you have internally blocked off the EGR passages and there is no hot gases going to that area of your intake, then cap off the coolant lines to the EGR spacer.

Pretty straightforward if you ask me.
RHC member #142
Old 02-27-2002, 02:20 PM   #16
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

i wasnt directed my post to you..i was stating 2 facts..one being the first line of my post and the 2nd being that there is alot of bolt on bultinboard racers out there..i know you are not one of them..i have seen your posts and i know you know your stuff

Old 02-27-2002, 02:23 PM   #17
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1

The coolant is there to cool the EGR gas only. If you have EGR leave it, if you have internally blocked off the EGR passages and there is no hot gases going to that area of your intake, then cap off the coolant lines to the EGR spacer.

Pretty straightforward if you ask me.
all summed up right there..i should of just posted that

Old 02-27-2002, 02:55 PM   #18
gtsr515
Registered Member

Your right that the coolant lines cool the EGR gasses, but your wrong that it doesn't help cold start up, your forgetting the 5.0 owner in Alaska in winter time, there, the coolant is warming faster than metal surroundings, it serves the same purpose as a heat riser tube from an exhaust manifold on a carburated car.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:16 PM   #19
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

Quote:
Originally posted by gtsr515
Your right that the coolant lines cool the EGR gasses, but your wrong that it doesn't help cold start up, your forgetting the 5.0 owner in Alaska in winter time, there, the coolant is warming faster than metal surroundings, it serves the same purpose as a heat riser tube from an exhaust manifold on a carburated car.
i never had a EGR valve or a IAB on my intakes either..made block off plates because cold winter starting never affected me..but when i did start her in the cold i would just have to give her some revs till she idled on her own

Old 02-27-2002, 03:52 PM   #20
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gtsr515

That is incorrect the way I see it. The heat riser tube from the exhaust manifold on a carbed car had a valve which would close the exhaust gas heat to the intake after warmup. There is no way to close the coolant flow off on the EGR spacer. And also, the exhaust gases heat up immediately, therefore sending warm air to the intake immediately. The coolant does not warm up immediately and would not serve the same purpose as the exhaust riser on a carbed car from that perspective at all. Once the coolant is hot, so is the engine. It makes no sense to pipe cold coolant to facilitate cold start up, and once the coolant is warm, the engine is warm, so I dont see the logic from that angle eithier.

Coolant is warming faster than metal surroundings? By the time that coolant in Alaska is warm enough to do any good, the engine is also warm enough to not need it at the intake.

I can see your point to a degree, but it just doesnt add up.
RHC member #142