MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2001, 01:10 AM   #1
chris91LX
Registered Member

Question Fuel Pump questions...

I'm looking at getting a set of heads. I might go with iron gt-40's or aluminum AFR's. My question is how much fuel pump am I going to need? What I'll basically have, besides what's listed below, is a stock block with an intake, heads and a cam. I don't think I'll be doing much beyond this for quite a while, but I may eventually go with a 347 stroker or a blower, but that's not going to be for at least a couple years. Is the 155lph pump enough, or should I go with the 190lph? I'm assuming I'll have to jump up to 24# injectors. Also, do I need to buy the whole kit that comes with the FRPP pumps or can I use the old setup and just buy the pump? Or would going with another manufacturer be the ticket? Just looking for some ideas, guys, let me know what you think.

------------------
91 LX 5.0
Z t-5, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3:73's, Vortech 73mm Mass Air, Accufab 65mm TB, BBK underdrives, BBK unequal length headers, Bassani x pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, Kenny Brown Super Subs, Factory Five Control Arms, Crane HI-6S Ignition, and more to come!
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 09:15 PM   #2
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

Just go w/ the 190 and 24lb. inj.
155 would probably suffice, but why do it again??? And it's only 10 bucks more.

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 09:57 PM   #3
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

I don't know what kind of power you are trying to make, but the stock 19# injectors may work fine. I still have them in my setup (which includes heads, cam, and intake...making 260 HP at the wheels). Many people jump to replace them too soon. Now, once you get that 347 you will want them, but with heads,cam, and intake you should be fine with the 19# units. They support up to about 310-320 HP at the wheels.

As far as the pump, just pay the extra bucks and get the 190. I bought mine from BBK and just got the pump, not an entire setup. I am not saying BBK is any better than any other pumps, but that is just what I ended up getting.

[This message has been edited by Hethj7 (edited 01-22-2001).]
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 10:43 PM   #4
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Hethj7 is right on the money. Why is everyone in a hurry to get the 24# injectors, they are actually good to 350hp I have heard and as someone else said in the corral was perfect, some of us, including myself at times get caught up in the magazine numbers, thinking we are pushing more than we are. And then are shocked with the actual dyno numbers. I would wait on the injectors, and get the 190 lph fuel pump. Sometimes going too big before your car is ready for the upgrade,will actually cause a slow down and cause a negative effect.good luck, and I am in know way saying I know it all, I do not, just giving some money saving advice.

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit, March underdrive pulley's Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip and Lentech Street Terminator plus on it's way...just ordered some new Red alum pulley's. Doing some big shopping of late, I will keep you posted.
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 11:22 PM   #5
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

Well not he is GOD or anything..but Lidio from Alternative Performance has told a few of my friends they needed 24 lb'ers when you hit low 12's

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 10:49 AM   #6
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

I could be totally off here, as I am not sure what kind of HP equates to certain track times, but wouldn't low 12's be around the 300 rear-wheel power level?

I know a guy that was making 270 at the wheels and was running 12.6.
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote