MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2003, 10:26 PM   #1
mustangmadman
Registered Member

Default ok im stuck now

i spent all day changing my stock cam for a B cam...........got everything together, fired it up and the timing was off which is normal..........readjusted the distributor and fired it up again, no good................i ended up resetting the distributor 5 times with the engine set at 0 degrees, we advanced the timing, retarded the timing and it is still not right.................running so rich the fuel is practically running out of the exhaust
mustangmadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:29 PM   #2
canukracer
Registered Member

hate to say this, did you undo the spout connection?
canukracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:51 PM   #3
mustangmadman
Registered Member

what the f%^* is the spout connection???
Old 09-10-2003, 06:36 PM   #4
Simi Stang

Default spout

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangmadman
what the f%^* is the spout connection???
The little plug connector right on the distributor that you have to unplug to properly set the timing. Do speed density cars have this though??
Old 09-10-2003, 07:13 PM   #5
whitepony
Registered Member

Default spout connector

yes they have it i have an 88 speed den. and it has on so yes u MUST unplug it to set the timming
whitepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:53 PM   #6
canukracer
Registered Member

have you found the spout?it's a dead end wire nere the distributor pull the end off set timing then shut car the off and reconnect it/do u have a vacuum gauge?if so check whats it read, the map sensor on your car needs like15inchs +or - 2.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:28 PM   #7
mustangmadman
Registered Member

i got that plug and know how to time the car my big prob is i swapped the stock cam with a b cam...........it idles fine and mean as hell i get on it and it wants to go but it doens go..........it dies off at like 3500 to 4500 rpms..............firing order is fine and timing is fine....................just cant get it to run right while im driving................its not mashing springs or valves because the heads are ported and built gt40p...............i changed the fuel filter as well thinking it might be a fuel starvation problem.......i dont have MAF because its a speeddensity car.............
Old 09-10-2003, 08:56 PM   #8
canukracer
Registered Member

but you do have a map sensor it's like a power valve on a carb low vacuum reading tells the comp to pour the fuel in.so lower speeds may be fuel loading .so the new cam could be givin you a lower vacuum reading, just tryin anything I can think of, i have speeddensity car too.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:03 PM   #9
mustangmadman
Registered Member

where and what does this map sensor looklike? where would it be? my car is fuel injected
Old 09-10-2003, 10:09 PM   #10
canukracer
Registered Member

should be on the firewall it will have a vacuum line to it and also a wire connection,black color/ rextangel shape/ i say this because the heads and intake should make no problems the way it runs but a cam that has lower vacuum than stock could make the problem, need someone that has installed a larger car in a speeddensity cam to answer and tell us what vacuum is ok

Last edited by canukracer; 09-10-2003 at 10:26 PM..
Old 09-10-2003, 10:16 PM   #11
mustangmadman
Registered Member

found the sensors i hope that is it................this is so frusterating.........i have my last MOMS mustang shootout on friday and i need to get it ready to go.....................
Old 09-10-2003, 10:50 PM   #12
canukracer
Registered Member

the sensor don't have to be the problem, we need to know the amount of vacuum going to it so it operates right,recheck all your vauum lines and listen for a hissing noise.i looked in my mustang book it says B302 and B303 camshafts from ford motorsports are compatible with the EEC-IV COMPUTER as long as the mass air flow system is used. I hope I'm wrong!
Old 09-11-2003, 01:10 PM   #13
tmoss
Registered Member

The B cam will not be easy to tune with the SD computer.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 12:39 AM   #14
mustangmadman
Registered Member

did some research and the guys in my club who are all mechanics did some research and we found that the cam i installed was a b cam but not a ford b cam..........the stamping on the end reads B18...............we figured its too large to put in my car because mostly everything is stock.................My MOMs Racing season is over for me. car goes into the garage for winter storage and a huge make over for the 2004 racing season. Thanks for all your help..............I will be back faster than hell ROC CITY MUSTANGS(club in rochester)