MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-26-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
HellRaiser92
Registered Member

Angry Make it stop!

Ok this is a long shot but I figured I'd see if anyone could tell me what's wrong here. You know that dinging or chiming you hear when you first start the car? It usually is supposed to ding 5 times. Well mine never stops!

The thing of it is, is that it only does it when I have my park lights or headlights on. I checked my fuses and they where all good. I don't get it. As you may guess my car is extremely anoying to drive at night. Can anyone think of anything?
Old 06-26-2003, 05:48 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Find the dinger and cut the wires. I believe it is around the stereo somewhere.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:33 PM   #3
HellRaiser92
Registered Member

lol Well that's simple enough. I'll probably do that as a last resort if I don't find another way to make it stop. Anyone else have another solution to fix this or an idea as to what's causing this? I have a feeling I will be cutting some wires here soon.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:08 PM   #4
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I'm gonna have to go with Dark_5.0 on this one. I mean, why do you really need that dinger? You already know the keys are in the ignition, what else do you need it for?
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:35 PM   #5
must89
Registered Member

Hey I've got an 89 LX 2.3L and mine did the exact same thing for a couple weeks when I first bought. All I did was disconnect my battery for a while. Problem with the stupid dinger is the fuse for it also is for your tach and some other important stuff. Anyways that worked for me and the dinging has gone away completely.

Good Luck and try to keep from smashing the dash in.....
must89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:12 PM   #6
BilLster
Registered Member

our van does the same thing but if you jiggle the key it stops never really bothers me but my mom will drive all night with the thing going shes afraid that she might stop the car when she wiggles the key
Old 06-27-2003, 04:04 AM   #7
my9250GT

pull the module out all you need is a flat screw driver to lift the tab it will not affect anything..i did it!
1992 Mustang GT, BBK equal length headers, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 3:73's, MAC cold air induction, Fluidyne aluminum radiator, Black Magic electric fan, 180*T-stat, Hurst shifter, Edelbrock 70mm TB & EGR, Eibach Drag springs w/ air bag, Edelbrock shocks, Tokico struts, MM adjustable LCA's, MM C/C plates, Not yet installed: Trick Flow engine kit (heads, cam, intakes..etc Pro-M 75mm MAF w/ 30lbs injectors, complete 5-lug 4 wheel disk brakes off a 94 Cobra and a Granetelli K-member w/ tubular A-arms)

SOCALHORSEPOWER MEMBER

my9250GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #8
mpj76
Registered Member

Default phantom dinger

I pulled my dinger module out and it stopped dinging. Whats really weird though, is that at night when it's really quiet, you can still hear a very faint dinging. Also, I once drove my car without the dash for a few days (heater core). The instrument cluster was not connected. The alternator excitation circuit shares the same circuit as the cluster. My battery started dying while driving and something started beeping. WHERE THE HELL ARE THESE SOUNDS COMING FROM!? (91 LX coupe)
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 12:23 AM   #9
my9250GT

beats me...just remember to shut your light off at night cuz the dinging isnt there to remind you its on....found that out the hard way and a dead batt the next morning..
1992 Mustang GT, BBK equal length headers, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 3:73's, MAC cold air induction, Fluidyne aluminum radiator, Black Magic electric fan, 180*T-stat, Hurst shifter, Edelbrock 70mm TB & EGR, Eibach Drag springs w/ air bag, Edelbrock shocks, Tokico struts, MM adjustable LCA's, MM C/C plates, Not yet installed: Trick Flow engine kit (heads, cam, intakes..etc Pro-M 75mm MAF w/ 30lbs injectors, complete 5-lug 4 wheel disk brakes off a 94 Cobra and a Granetelli K-member w/ tubular A-arms)

SOCALHORSEPOWER MEMBER

Old 06-28-2003, 04:07 PM   #10
HellRaiser92
Registered Member

Well I just disconnected the dinger. It sure did have a lot of wires going to it. At least 6 but I didn't take the time to count them. Should I be worried about anything not working or anything else? Like my air bag blowing up in my face?

Also does anyone know how much a ignition would be for my car? I don't know if I need a new one or if it can somehow be tightened. It seems to be "loose" and I'm thinking it has something to do with the dinging in my car. I myself wont be messing with it since it has a SRS.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:43 AM   #11
my9250GT

no the dinger will not affect anything i have had mine disconnected for a couple years now and i have had no problems other than averaging 10 bucks a day for gas and a exhaust leak but i dont think the dinger has anything to do with that.

as far as the ignition you can pick one up for a couple bucks at auto zone or nappa changing it is very easy if it makes you feel better disconnct the battery while you work on it.
but let me assure you you wont set the air bags off!

SOCALHORSEPOWER MEMBER