MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-31-2003, 11:47 AM   #1
Scrapla
Registered Member

Default T5 vs 347 and NOS

I have a 90gt and from what I read its the world class T5 that came with my car, its been partially rebuilt once just a few syncros replaced and my 347 is in the works so im thinkin about tranny upgrades and a scatter sheild anyone know a good bullet proof bell housing that will bolt on and what should I look to spend and also whats the most power these T5's can handle I have a king cobra, steel bearing retainer installed and adj cable and everythings been great and my engine is gonna be a mild 347 not a race car so can I get away with the t5 for a while?

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 04:58 PM   #2
GhOsT6_9
Registered Member

The T-5 should hold up for a while., just don't beat the crap out of it with the 347. I'd stay away from drag racing till you can get a better tranny, such as a Tremec.

Your tranny should be a regular T-5, not a WC T-5. I thought the WC T-5 only came in the cobras or from the aftermarket, but I could be wrong.

For bell housings, there are tons of them out there for the T-5. But if you plan on getting a better tranny, like the Tremec, you may need another bell housing since the Tremec won't bolt up like the standard T-5. So decide what tranny you want to run then get the proper bell housing.
5.0L, T-5, 1969 351W heads, cut & welded stock plenum, F-303 cam, Mac 1 5/8 full length headers, Cat'd H-pipe, 3.73 gears, Underdrives, SSM lift bars, E-Fan, 3G Alt, Custom Chip, Autometer gauges, Weld Draglite wheels , M/T ET Street Radials

Best 1/4: 13.33@101.53MPH
GhOsT6_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:05 PM   #3
LX5liter
dude5l

Sometimes it all depends on the tranny, I've heard of people blowing them up with relative ease, and others who can't seem to kill them. I know my car still has the original un-touched t-5 and it hasn't skipped a beat yet, but I don't powershift when I'm drag racing. ( if I did I think I would be in the 11's fairly easily ) But I do leave the line at 4700 rpm with a bit of air under the drivers side tire. I did break an axle my last time out though. With the new engine going in this winter it will be interesting to see what happens to it next season . I wouldn't worry too much about yor tranny right now. Axles though.......

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:25 PM   #4
Scrapla
Registered Member

When I had my gears installed not to long ago I had an axle replaced and the other was in good shape, but whats a good axle upgrade just a new stock replacment or aftermarket and what should I look to spend?

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Old 11-02-2003, 12:58 PM   #5
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

I personally would worry more about the tranny than the axles Unless you are gonna run slicks. The tires will spin before you break axles. My t-5 lasted 2 years when the car was making just over 300 rwhp. I believe not powershifting was a major factor. Both areas are good to upgrade though. But if you do change out the axles, what about rear disc brakes, and 5 lug conversion and new wheels to plant the power.

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 06:10 PM   #6
Scrapla
Registered Member

I wasnt thinkin about slicks, maybe and thats a big maybe some street slicks but its just gonna be a quick crusing car besides I baby my car and rarley beat on it and never powershift , until I can get a daily driver cause I dont wanna be stuck

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Old 11-03-2003, 12:48 PM   #7
LX5liter
dude5l

If you are going to upgrade the axles go with a good aftermarket one (Moser or Strange). If you even run drag radials or ET streets you still run the risk of breakage.I never run slicks either but I still broke an axle.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe

Users rides #2542
Old 11-04-2003, 10:10 PM   #8
bottlebaby91
Registered Member

Leave your stock axles in there until the break. Launch on slicks. And powershift the best you can! I have been running my t-5 and stock axles for 2 years now. I launch at 5,000 on slicks. My motor makes just over 350 at the wheels and I am running a 150 shot of spray. I powershift with the best of them and my tranny needs new synchros yes, but I put those in every 2-3 years wether they are bad or not. The tremecs are not worth the moeny I don't think. A buddy of mine is using one in his 10sec car, and he puts new synchros in every 2 years also. The tremecs shift sloppy & crappy too.
bottlebaby91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 12:01 PM   #9
LX5liter
dude5l

Quote:
Originally posted by bottlebaby91
Leave your stock axles in there until the break. Launch on slicks. And powershift the best you can!
So what happens when you're axle breaks in the 2-3 shift at 60+ mph? Lots of damage as the axle comes out of the housing and your car rides on drum and body parts for a while, and who knows where the tire and axle are going. If your lucky, it snaps at the starting line and you don't go anywhere, but some people don't have that kind of luck.I ran my stock axles for two seasons as well, and I broke one on the last race of this year. I still recommend a good aftermarket axles and c-clip eliminators. Cheap insurance when you look at the possible damages.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe

Users rides #2542
Old 11-05-2003, 09:05 PM   #10
bottlebaby91
Registered Member

I was being a little sarcastic when I posted that. It does suck when the axle breaks, but it will almost always happen at launch which is why it doesnt scare me to brake axles. It is in your best interest to purchase c-clip elims. and good axles though.
bottlebaby91 is offline   Reply With Quote