MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-06-2003, 09:37 PM   #21
TMASTER
Registered Member

Default ok

OK, tomarrow ill run the tests you told me to do, I have vacuum gauge. Im pretty sure the AC is involved, becuase everytime its on, it dies, and when its not on it doesnt seem to die. Ill let you guys know about the vaccum tomarrow afternoon. thanks!
TMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 03:04 PM   #22
TMASTER
Registered Member

Unhappy hmm

OK just did the vacuum check. It reads 0 at idle and 0 with engine rev'ing. My father was thinking it might be the AC, idle compensator, but the dieing problem is so random that i cant tell.

Also what vaccum psi should the manifold be at at idle?

You guys have any other ideas let me know.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:44 AM   #23
PKRWUD

Let me explain this a little better. Your EGR valve is sticking open at times, which is fine when your driving, but when you come to a stop, it leans out the engine, and it stalls. It sounds like it's at the earliest stages of failure, so something as simple as manifold vacuum can cause the valve to not close all the way. That's why it restarts. The AC puts a load on the engine, so anything that might make it stall, will make it stall if the AC is on. You already tried unplugging the EGR, and you said it never stalled when the EGR was unplugged, but it did stall when the EGR was hooked up. The vacuum test you performed tells you that it's the valve that's sticking, rather than the solenoid that controls the vacuum to the valve. Time to replace the EGR valve, and make sure you clean the mounting surface, and use a new gasket.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 10:36 AM   #24
TMASTER
Registered Member

Default heh

I never drove the car, with it unpluged! You mean the connector unplug on the EGR right? Ill go try that now and run the AC and see if it dies when im driving. Ill let ya know! Sorry Im slow on this sorta thing, First Fox body mustang!!!
Old 07-08-2003, 10:43 AM   #25
jimberg
Registered Member

No, not the connector. You HAVE to have that plugged in. He's talking about the vacuum line. If it runs well with it disconnected, just leave it disconnected.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:51 AM   #26
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Quote:
You HAVE to have that plugged in
I wouldn't say you HAVE to have it plugged in. I've had mine unplugged for about 2 years now, and its always ran great.

I have heard that it will throw codes, and possibly cause idle problems, but its always been fine on my car.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:55 AM   #27
jimberg
Registered Member

It forces your car to run in a limp mode. Sure it will run, but it won't run well. It may actually force your car to stay in open loop mode. but I'm not sure about that. Maybe Chris can shed some light on it.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:27 AM   #28
TMASTER
Registered Member

OK, drove it and made 6 or 7 sudden stops with the AC on, Only the Vacuum line off, and plugged the EGR port and vac line.

Before I unplugged it, the car died once with the AC on.
After i unpluged it It never died! But, it almost did once, RPMs dropped to 400 and came back up, but didnt die. So i guess ill leave it unpluged and drive it a while Thanks guys! I'll see how it goes, otherwise ill be back POST'N UP!

Whats the point of the EGR anyways? My Check Engine light is NOT on! haha
Old 07-08-2003, 12:08 PM   #29
jimberg
Registered Member

The electrical connection on the EGR valve is the EGR valve position sensor. It provides feedback to the computer to let it know that it's opening and closing when the computer opens and closes the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid. The EGR valve is what allows exhaust back into the intake to be burned to reduce emissions. This also helps keep combustion chamber temps down to reduce problems with detonation and reduce NOx emissions.

Where are you at this point? You have the vacuum line disconnected, but the electrical connector still connected? If that's not where you are, that's where you should be. The electrical connection doesn't control the opening and closing of the EGR valve, but the absence of its signal could cause problems.

If you don't want to spend the money on replacing the EGR valve (I think I may have one that I can send you, by the way), you could just fabricate a plate to mount between the EGR valve and the EGR spacer. This would block the exhaust completely and fix your problem if the EGR valve is sticking open a little bit. You could do this until you prove it's the EGR valve causing the problem and then know that money spent on a new EGR valve is worth it.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:24 PM   #30
TMASTER
Registered Member

Default ok

I have it where you said. But im going to pull the EGR valve out and try cleaning it, with carb cleaner, maybe soaking it in some gas. And if that doesnt work i can make a solid gasket to put inbetween the EGR and EGR plate. Ill try these things, and let ya know! thanks for the help guys.