MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-13-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
ragtop5point8
Registered Member

Angry The problem thats lasted two years!!!

ok fellas here we go. you think youve had problems listen to this.i have been having this problem with my starter, and flywheel for the last 2 years. 2 years ago, out of the blue, my starter just started missing my flywheel. when i turned the key it was like it was just missing the teeth on the flywheel. i thought the flywheel teeth were bad so i had it reringed.NO LUCK. that was my only car at the time and i was getting tired of pop starting it and always parking on hills.i bought another car, and left it sit for about 6 months. just as my luck would have it the plow guy smashes into it that winter. the boday had taken a beating anyway from my frustrations so i wasnt that mad. that summer i bought a 4 banger and decided to swap the motors. i took the motor out with the bad starter, rebuilt the whole thing inside and out, and added a few mods. get the motor in the new body, turn the key...power..great. crank it over it spins fine for about 3 seconds then starts grinding the flywheel again. AHHH. then i thought that i had the wrong starter so i bought a starter for a 5 speed..NO LUCK AGAIN. I have tried EVERYTHING!! from trying to shim the starter, shim the flywheel and even screw the starter in at an angle. The starter just keeps grinding the flywheel, and the motor wont turn over.I have asked everybody around here, but nobody has any idea. they never heard of anything like that.the car started fine for 2 years, so it wasn't something that was always a probelm. any ideas PLEASE HELP>>>i am giving it one last go around and then its getting a gasoline bath.THANX GUYS!!
ragtop5point8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Re: The problem thats lasted two years!!!

There are a limited number of possibilities.

Starter
Flywheel
Bell Housing
Block

The block is very unlikely to be the problem as the bell housing will not line up to a block with a crack large enough to cause your problem.

The starter you've replaced. Did you bench test it to make sure it was engaging fully? I've gotten several bad "rebuilt" starters over the years.

The flywheel you had re-ringed, but you didn't actually replace it. The engine usually stops at one spot. If the flywheel was damaged or warped, it might be out of round causing the issue? I also believe this is entirely unlikely as the engine would be out of balance pretty bad with such a problem.

Finally, the bell housing itself. You were able to "screw the starter in sideways?" To the best of my knowlege, there are three starter bolts, and the starter slips into the bell housing quite snugly when it's mounted properly. Did you inspect the bell housing for any cracks or damage that might be offsetting the starter? I've seen damaged bell housings before.

If the bell housing is okay, and the block is okay then it really leaves only two parts that could be causing the issue.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
BigEd
Registered Member

HAd that happen on a friend's Ford van once. The plate between the block and bellhousing which locates the starter was elongated at the starter opening. It's been a while since I've been under my car but I think our motors use that plate too. If so, get a new plate.

Eddie
Old 04-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
7DMACH1
Registered Member

Are you sure you have the correct flywheel??? There is 157 tooth and 164 tooth???? There are two different bell housings, the bell housing and the flywheel have to match.
7DMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:33 PM   #5
ragtop5point8
Registered Member

hey guys..thanks for the insight..the guy that said the plate elongated, i will change that tomorrow.that makes sense. i think i have th164 tooth, but it was working fine for a long time, then just started doing thisso the combo is probably right. another thing i heard was that if the starter wires are even a little corroded they won't send enough amperage to push the bendex gear out far enough.im gettin under her tomorrow and trying a couple things.ill keep you posted.if anyone has any more ideas, please let me know..thanks for the help
ragtop5point8 is offline   Reply With Quote