MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-16-2004, 11:04 PM   #1
titanium92
Registered Member

Default Superchip?

Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows from experience the benefiets of putting a superchip in a stock 92 5.0 LX. If so what brand and where is the best place to order it? I heard good things about "superchip" chips and some not so good things with "jet". Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.
titanium92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:00 AM   #2
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

you would probably find more power elsewhere other than a chip, but thats just my .02 any particular reason why you want a chip?
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:46 AM   #3
titanium92
Registered Member

The reason I was thinking about a chip is a quick easy way and not too expensive (200-300) to add a couple extra horses. Don't know of another way to get a few extra horses for a few hundred bucks and easy to install, do you? I basically have stock car execpt a couple of minor things done; K&N conicle filter, underdrive pulleys, after market H-PIPES with no cats. Like I said nothing major just want some more extras to add horsepower for under $500 and easy to do. So any suggestions would greatly be appreciated thanks.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

what kind of mufflers you have? get a muffler shop to stick you a pair of flows on there - those will help A LOT more than a chip ever would (it would take them less than an hour to do) ..or even take it to a shop and have them install a set of 3.73 gears - it would cost about 300 or 400 bucks to have them do that for you, the gears do not necessarily add power but you will see a huge difference in the way your car runs ...like night and day

some other easy things you can do for cheap would be like adding a cold air intake, throttle body uhh wow im drawing a blank right now but if you have any questions about the stuff ive listed so far say so and i can explain

...500 bucks you can even get u a nitrous kit
Old 08-17-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
titanium92
Registered Member

I have good mufflers on there now.....dynomax. What would a throttle body do for me? and what about maf what size could I go to without going to bigger intake or injectors? I mean if i have all stock heads and intake air isn't going to go in or out anymore is it? So I put headers on to? Why don't you like the chip? some bad experience? Let me know thanks.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:36 PM   #6
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

k ..the reasoning behind the maf, cold air, and throttle body is that they all help improve airflow into the motor ..and more air = more power. the throttle body has a bigger butterfly allowing more air to pass, the way cold air works is that cold air is more compressed than hot air meaning you can fit more cold air in the same amount of space as you could hot so basically you are stuffing more air into the motor - the stock maf is ok but if you want to go bigger all you need it to be calibrated to is your 19lb injectors and whether you have a cold air intake or not. all of these are good to have but gears would be a much wiser investment if possible - headers would be a good investment as well because the stock manifolds suck

personally ive never had a chip ..i wouldnt call it junk but id call it a mod that comes later as you could purchase better ones first before you hit the chip
Old 08-17-2004, 03:10 PM   #7
titanium92
Registered Member

Ok if I go with 373 gears what will it improve on and how much does it cost as well as install? I am waiting for anymore input about the chip before I buy any.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:09 PM   #8
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

This is what a chip will do for your car, The chip will alter your timing and fuel curve to a better more performance setting. Might see a difference but usually without other add on such as gear, headers etc, it won't be as much. On and AOD it will change your shift points slightly which you will feel that, and think you added power. There good to have, I would get one, but don't expect a huge difference. Gears, Headers, and intake are the bext things to look at. maybe bump the timing up to 12 degree's from 10.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:55 PM   #9
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

with gears you dont see any actual hp gains but they help you off the line drastically ...should be around 300-400 bucks to install 'em

but yeah if you ask anybody on the site they would more than likely tell you the same things to start off with when modding your car

exhaust, gears, and some sort of cold air intake
Old 08-19-2004, 02:54 PM   #10
sdd228
Registered Member

i would agree that those would be the best mods to do first. i started with a stock stang and ran 14.9 at the track. then i bought pullies, headers, gears (373's) and exhaust and now the best run is 14.1. the car will seem so much quicker with the gears. screw the chip.
Nitto DR's 245/50R16
NOS hopefully 100 shot
sdd228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:10 PM   #11
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

I can't believe nobody has set this fellow stanger straight on chips.

Screw the chip...bump your timing to 14*-16* and run 92 octane fuel.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:24 AM   #12
MnvlMat
Registered Member

Default I like the chip.

I have a Hypertech chip and I like it. It is the simplest mod to do.
MnvlMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:00 PM   #13
200k5oh
Registered Member

get a gear and have it installed for the money its the best bang. your car will pull soo much harder throughout every gear. if you are 5spd tho be very careful with 1st gear, it'l hit you before you know it going from stock to a 3.73 or 3.90.

but yeah gear over chip most definetly.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:45 PM   #14
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

To " Set You staright on Chips ", as falcon says, Chips are mainly for modified motors, with radical idle characteristics, and fuel curves and in your case, wouldn't make a difference for ya, I mean they are great products you see like 3-5 on the dyno, but for the road, you won't feel any difference. The best way to feel a difference in a stock 5.0L is

A. Gears

B. Headers

C. Exhaust

D. Timing to 12-16 degrees.

Again gears don't give you any HP just helps you transfer them to the ground.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote