MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-06-2004, 01:16 AM   #1
procharge94
Registered Member

Default I checked my radiator temps

I was trying to trouble-shoot for a cooling problem in my '94 GT, so I took the temp directly in the fill neck. I was making sure my temp gauge was somewhat accurate. Ever since I installed my motor mods(heads, cam, intake, etc.), I have not been able to keep a consistantly cool water temperature. The temp I was reading started around 160 and rose to 200 within about five minutes. This allowed me to eliminate a faulty thermostat from the equation. The head gaskets are also only a few weeks old, but this does not mean they are not the underlying problem. In addition to my confusion, my oil pressure has also been pegged out at max. So much so, that my valve covers are now starting to leak oil!! I am lost as to what I should look for next. Suggestions and advice are what I am looking for right now.
procharge94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:31 PM   #2
procharge94
Registered Member

Default Re: I checked my radiator temps

Could this excess pressure caused by the excess oil pressure have created a leak in my new head gaskets?
Old 11-06-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
grey88gt
Registered Member

Are you talking about the factory gauges in the cluster or gauges you have installed? That your getting your reading from? I know on my 88 the cluster just uses sending units for the gauges. Could you have gotton the wires going to the sending units wrong? I think if you had a leaking head gasket you would have water in the oil or lots of presure in the cooling system, and a really poor running engine? I dont know just a thought!
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
procharge94
Registered Member

The sending units for the stock gauges are ok. As for the pressure in the cooling system, how much extra pressure? The cooling system doesn't seem to have any venting issues and its not exploding out of the radiator when i remove the cap either. The oil in the pan is fine, but there was a milky goo all over the pcv valve when I removed it to make sure the valve was still functional. Am I correct in thinking that somewhere in my lifter valley coolant and oil is mixing?

I'm not sure how to gauge the performance of the car. These problems arrose immedidately after installing all the motor mods(heads, cam, intake, tb, exhaust, etc).
Old 11-07-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
grey88gt
Registered Member

You may need to borrow or buy a coolant system tester so you can pressurize the coolant system and see if it leaks down any. (Dont over pressure the system though I always go as high as the radiator cap is). Very well could have a leak. You might drain a little oil from the pan and see if theres any water there, and pull the spark plugs back out also and look at the color of them. Good luck!
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:17 PM   #6
procharge94
Registered Member

I believe I have found my cooling issue. A few days ago, I found a milky substance on my pcv valve. After closer inspection, I found that my entire block was consumed with a chocolate milkshake substance. When I pulled my lower intake gaskets to find the point of coolant/oil mixing, I found that on one of the gaskets had condensation, not only around the coolant port, but also surrounding the adjacent intake port as well. I hoping that this is the ONLY problem causing my cooling issue, and my new head gaskets are still in good shape.

I was informed that I can run a 5-minute engine cleaner that will flush everything out of my block. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what else I could do in order to remove the wonderful milkshake from my block? I am trying to avoid pulling the block, unless all else fails.