MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-03-2003, 06:38 AM   #1
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Default Could this be bad TFI?

I tried do search on this but I couldnt find my particular issue.

It rained HARD on sunday and it all started happening then, Maybe it's just coincedence...

my new problem is now at part throttle I'm getting some popping through the intake though generaly under WOT its ok... though I'm now finding that at a constant thrrottle of lets say 2500 the car starts to kinda buck... it'll run smooth and then start missing I guess... and then run smooth and miss again...

the popping seems to happen from a stop when I start to drive. But if I'm in neutral and rev it it's not happening, it's only under load. I bought a new module last night.. I didnt put it in yet... but if no one thinks that's the problem I'll just return it and replace whatever you think the problem actualy IS.

Thanks Guys
-as
Old 06-03-2003, 03:43 PM   #2
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Doesn't sound like TFI to me. The TFI, went it goes out, is usally heat related, and as I'm told, it happens more like a light switch where it's working, and then it's not. It'll leave you stranded with a dead car until it cools off again.

-nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:45 PM   #3
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

yeah I've been reading more about it... I'm not sure what it is... but it seems to be going away... hopefully I can write it off as something getting wet and then drying out
-as
Old 06-03-2003, 05:00 PM   #4
82 GT
Import Slayer

A new TFI module wouldn't be a bad idea anyways if the stock one hasn't been replaced aready.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 12:27 AM   #5
PKRWUD

It sounds like a fuel quality issue. Maybe you got a bad tank of gas. It actually sounds like dirty injectors, but since it started suddenly, and now seems to be going away, I'd say it was bad gas.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 06:14 AM   #6
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

hmmm.... I'll write it off as bad gas... it's easier then trying to find some other non existant problem... though at this point I still get a slight buck as steady RPMS... if I just cruise at 2500 it'll run smooth and then give a slight buck every once in a while, maybe every couple seconds... kinda wierd...

the cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and injectors are new about a month ago... they are autozone cheap parts, with exception of the injectors.... wich are Ford.

my biggest issue at this point is the harcore bucking I get at low RPMs... THAT has happened since the day I finished doing the heads and cam and such. It's an AOD and my tranny guy called it
"trailer hitching"... said it was ignition related... it's kinda like if you had a 5 speed and you left it in 5th gear and started to slow down it would just start to get nasty and jerky as you got close to the stall point. I figured I higher stall converter woudl mask the problem... I assume the problem was the torque of this combo was moved up the RPM scale so it doesnt have enough down low.

who knows...
-as