MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-05-2003, 07:39 AM   #1
MadOnion
Registered Member

Default Leather Seats - Fronts & Gears

My front leather seats are beat, although the back is fine. Can I just get the front seats done, and would they match the back?
Is my best bet a Kit or local job

Btw, how hard is the kit? Something I would have to pay a shop to do, and if so how much?
Are the leather kits from 50resto full leather, or partial like stock? Is it worth it to go w/ leather over vynil, what are the benifts of leather? (Can you tell the difference?)

Btw, I'm getting 3.73 gears soon (have 2.73.) My current street milage is about 13.5 (heavy foot) how much worse do you think it will be w/ the gears? -
I Have a auto tranny, how much would the gears hurt my milage on the highway?

Anyone here with 3.73s, what do you idle at, and when you just coast down the road?
Will I lose any top end power, at what speed if so?

Thanks for all the help!!

Last edited by MadOnion; 06-05-2003 at 08:08 AM..
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Your RPMs will go up but the gass consumption is minimal... I find I get about 10 MPG around town with my combo but I get about 20 on the hhighway... around town I tend to be pretty heavy when I find nice open roads...

as for power... gears wont change your power.. they just make it easier for your car to get moving.. it's like riding a bike, try pedaling your bike from a stop in a HIGH gear, you'd have to stand up and pedal really hard to get yourself moving... then try the same thing in the lowest gear... you'll pedal so easily, you'll start to move really easy...this is basiclay what you're doing with your rear end... make it easier to pedal.. for your engine... you'll lose top end speed.. but how often do you drive 140 anyway...

it's a good swap...

as for the seats the kits from 50 resto I believe come in both FULL leather or OEM style leather seating surface... I went with teh vinyl and I'm pleased with with... its alot cheaper and however you go the install is pretty easy... I did it myself you'll need some hog rings and hog ring pliers... it'll be worth it when it comes to setting those rings
-as
Old 06-05-2003, 02:49 PM   #3
MadOnion
Registered Member

How did you get the old leather/cloth off you seats?
Did you put new foam in the seats?
How long did it take you to do your seats?

Btw, does 13-15mpg street sound really bad for a 89 5.0?
Mods: longtube headers, Off-Road H Pipe, mufflers, cold induction

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-06-2003, 06:15 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

It took me a while to figure it all out I recall.. once I did the ONE seat the other went alot faster, cause it's not like OLD cars that just slip on. there's some metal rods in the back of the seat too.. like COAT HANGERS... it's not heavy rods or anything.. but they kinda hold the deep grooves... they run through loops inthe cover and then get hog ringed to the seat back.

To take them off you'll see how it works.. you should take the seat back OFF and there's a zipper at the bottom, as you start to take it off you'll have to clip the old HOG RINGS and fish them out of the foam... it's easy enough.. I didnt replace the foam cause the new covers have padding built into them, my seat foam was actulay in good shape... I mean good enough for 100k mile daily driver...I actulay will be redoing my driver side very soon, since my actual SEAT doesnt sit upright anymore.. .it's kinda bent back into a partial recline and its not comfortable to drive leaning back so far... I'll just swap my cover onto a different seat i bought off ebay... anyway.. enough about me... just take your time... I would say it will take a couple hours.. but what do you have to do on a sunday morning anyway...
-as