MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-06-2003, 12:22 AM   #1
raptor
Registered Member

Default Keepin it Cool

Last week end it was a little warm. Lots of sitting in traffic my temp got as hot as 200 (stats 160)so I pulled over and let it cool. I have undrive pullies FMS I removed the water pump one last year for better cooling. My rad is in good shape. So I'm looking at the undrive pullies causing the problem but want to keep them. Do you think I should go to a 4 core rad or a high flow water pump?
88GT, 331Stroker,FMS 70mm TB,77mm Pro-M mass air,Ram Air,K&N,GT40/Exployer Intakes,Gasket Matched,FMS 24lb injectors,Crane hi-6 ignition system,B303 cam,Crane 1.6RR,FMS underdrive pullies,351W/heads,port/polish,FMS h/f oil pump,Hedman headers,2 1/2in H pipe Flow Masters,190lph Holley fuel pump,Center Force dual friction,FMS 3.55,Hurst short throw/ trigger T handle,Subframe connectors,Welded torque boxes.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:25 AM   #2
FritzDaKat
Registered Member

Well, if there is a weak spot on the radiator thats perhaps seeing heavy corrosion behind the fins, adding the high flow pump might bring it to your attention with a quickness.

Try running a bottle of Radiator flush thru it first and check out Water wetter or a similar product. last I checked, Water wetter was running for about $20+ a bottle, but there are other brands for cheaper (but somewhat less effective)

Is the radiator shroud in place? If not, this could also cause an increase in average operating temp's.
FritzDaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 06:58 AM   #3
twilightcall
Registered Member

This is on a different car but it would get warm in the summer. I had the radiator rodded out but it was a 2 pass. I went ahead and go it recored with 4 passes and now it runs cool. In the summer with the a/c on and sitting in traffic it never gets above half. I am very pleased with the results.
twilightcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 08:23 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I bought a standard issue 4 core .. or was it 3... crap I forget.. it's bigger then the stock.. and I run the stock water pump and dont have problems.. if the rad is original it's probabaly all crudded up .. not to mention you'll get some better cooling with more rows to work with... it's not too much... I think it was like 130 or something
-as
Old 06-06-2003, 09:04 AM   #5
PKRWUD

First off, 200 is where your engine should run. If, for some reason, you don't like it there, try putting in a higher t-stat (unless you have a chip that requires the 160), flush the coolant out of your system, and run no more than 10% coolant.

You didn't say what kind of fan you have, but if it's stock, check the clutch.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote