MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-06-2003, 03:16 AM   #1
Mustangboy89
Registered Member

Default building a stroker need advice on solid roller or hydrallic roller cam ??

hey mustangers. i'm building up a 408 stroker and i'm needin advice on what kind of set up to go with.some people say solid roller and some people say hydralic roller cam.is there any one that has a 408 stroker and has a hydralic roller cam in it and that is running some low number's in the quarter.i want to get into the 10 second zone and i just would like to know the best route to go before i shell out my money to the engine shope.thanks so much for any advice you can give me.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:36 AM   #2
BilLster
Registered Member

need more info is it a daily driver ?

Power adder ? do you know how to set valve lash ?

I was going through a similiar problem was told my hd lifters were limiting RPM but over all its really a small diffrence at the track and i dont feel comfortable adjusting the lash all the time as with a solid roller.

the best bet is whats right for you is it a strip only car then solid if street and time isnt there for maintenece all the time then hydralic

or ive never looked into it but have heard of people modifying there hdy roller to work kinda like a solid someone else might have a link to the site.

10 seconds takes more than motor though you need the whole car cage suspention ect.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:48 PM   #3
Mustangboy89
Registered Member

well the suspension is already done on the car is has hal tubular k member,a-arms,coil over kit and springs,lakewood 90/10 struts,hpm caster camber plates.in the rear i got lakewood 50/50 drag shocks,rear coil over kit,southside lift bars,with a 373,with a eaton posi,moser axles 31spine. and i have no clue on how to set valve lash,i definately want a power adder,i have been in a car with nitrous and it is addictive,but i have see blower cars perform and they are wicked.this car isn't going to see the street alot i probably will every now and then but not no trips or taking it to work.i would say no more than 25 miles at the most if i had to drive it that far.i'm just wondering what's the best cubic inch stroker to build up and add a power adder to it.and i need advice on a the hydralic or a solid roller cam.thanks for all your help.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

You dont need a power adder with a 408 stroker to go fast.

With it being a mostly drag car I would go with a solid roller cam. I personaly dont like them cause they are noisy and constantly need adjusted.

A good heads/cam/intake package on a 408 stroker can take you well into the 10's @130+mph.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 02:10 PM   #5
tarmon8r
Registered Member

i went with a hydraulic roller camshaft. Great power and i have N20, awesome combination. The camshaft i chose was a comp cam 304, 244@.050, .576" with 1.6 roller rockers on top of a Victor JR. box stock head and make a good 500 hp on motor. Granted, mine is just a little 393, it is brutal down low. That my combo, good luck. No times as of yet other than a quick 1/8 mile pass and then broke the tranny. hehehe, my bad. 7.50 @ 101 with a 2.20 60 ft. on motor.
1983 mustang, 393 cubic inch stroker small block, victor jr heads and intake, gold race 1.6 roller rockers. comp cam 304, 244@ .050. .576" hydralic retro roller cam,lunati rods. block was o-ringed,10:1 forged pistons, speed pro fit fit rings, clevite bearings,msd distributor and igniton,be cool huge radiator, black lite electric fan, march underdrive pulleys, mildon deep sump oil pan, mac 1 3.4" long tube headers, 3" dr gas x-pipe and mac exhaust,ARP bolts. car weighs 2900 lbs w/out driver, sub frames, weld wheels, mickey thompson sportsman pro 26 x 10.5 x 15's,#8 fuel line steel braided
tarmon8r is offline   Reply With Quote