MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-11-2003, 08:44 PM   #1
SuperIrish
Registered Member

Default Mildly Irksome Driveability issue, what do you make of this?

I've been fiddling round with a minor problem on the LTD that comes up. I at first thought it was a timing issue but turns out it may not be.
When I was tuning the carb with the O2 sensor I could get it to run at .62 at cruise which is very good for a carb'd car, and was going to check the WOT mixture so I floored and checked the meter. Upon declerating and going back to cruise I found the meter reading .85 at cruise. This is something that has occurred a few times, I'd change timing and it would run good, floor it and then it reverts back to not running quite as good. I was sure it was timing, then perhaps a vacuum leak but now think there is something wrong with the carb. Yesterday I took the carb apart and blew out the circuits put it back together. Fired right up ran perfect, no hesitation, no light stumbling at light throttle. so I floored it and after that it was back to the old way again, light stumble after shifts at part throttle, not real smooth at cruise, almost imperceptible lean miss, and the plugs will be a dark tan. I've set the timing at 6BTDC and plugged vacuum advance line with same results. Timing seems to have no effect on this it appears to be in the carb. The secondaries are closing fully, there is no fuel dripping into any of the carb throats, and the flaots are set right.
It's an '88 HO shortblock, ported DOOE heads, Performer RPM intake, Kaufmann Stage III roller cam, '85 GT distributor, Edelbrock 750 carb, 10BTDC timing, new distributior cap and rotor, wires and plugs are about 6 mos old. If you've got any ideas, suggestions or want more info let me know.
1990 Red Harley FXRS, Andrews EV-3 cam, corbin seat, baby apes, other stuff
2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition 5.4L(wifemobile) bone stock and staying that way
SuperIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:00 PM   #2
mikew88gt
Registered Member

Just wondering...I see in your signature that you have a stang "all apart in the garage". Any chance it uses a carb that you could put on the LTD to see if your problem changes?

I don't have any other ideas except to call Edelbrock tech line. My friend had a stumble problem with his Edelbrock 750 that was causing a lot of grief. They told him to drill out a couple of passages to a bigger orifice and it fixed the problem. Good luck. The wagon sounds pretty cool.

My 1988 Mustang GT
mikew88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 07:36 AM   #3
SuperIrish
Registered Member

Thanks Mike,
The mustang is FI. I think I got the waagon taken care of, I over hauled the carb and it works great now.

David
1990 Red Harley FXRS, Andrews EV-3 cam, corbin seat, baby apes, other stuff
2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition 5.4L(wifemobile) bone stock and staying that way
SuperIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:24 AM   #4
Shaun Barcelow
Registered Member

Did you find a problem, or was it just in need of a little TLC? I was going to suggest replacing the trottle position senser.