MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-11-2002, 07:27 PM   #1
chris91LX
Registered Member

Default How do I get these freaking fuel lines apart?

I'm pulling off my lower intake for the first time, making room for the new heads and intake and I have it all apart and ready to come off but i can't get the fuel lines separated. Anyone know how to do this, I don't want to end up screwing them up and having to buy new fuel lines too. TIA
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 08:47 PM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

You have to by a special little tool, usually plastic, from Oreilly's or Autozone or some place, that slides into the connection and releases it. Go to your local autoparts store and ask for a fuel line disconnector. They'll know what you are talking about and it's cheap. Even though I can't think of the correct name for the part . I thought of fuel line disconnector thing-a-ma-bob. That might work.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:50 PM   #3
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

It's easier than you think. Go to the local auto parts and buy some fuel line disconnect tools. You can get a set for a few bucks. If not, I believe you'll need two sizes - 3/8" and 1/2".

The removal is simple. Slide the black retaining clips from the fuel couplers. Slide the tool onto the line...onto the side of the coupler where the clip once was. Slide the tool into the coupler...jam it in there...that releases the coupler. Pull apart fuel line.

Don't forget to grease the O-rings on the coupler before you re-assemble.

Hope this helps!

'91 LX - 331 w/ Procharger
'03 Cobra Convertible - Pullied
'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 08:53 PM   #4
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Oops, sorry 96GTS...we must have posted at about the same time. I also have a 94 Lightning, white, #3987. I'm on NLOC.ORG quite a bit...you?

'91 LX - 331 w/ Procharger
'03 Cobra Convertible - Pullied
'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 11:05 AM   #5
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Or...if you live a ways out of town...and you don't want to drive all the way into town...and you're really impatient....all kinda like me....do this.

Get an old funnel or a plastic cup (the ones that they give away at the concession stands at basketball games work really well).

I'll describe how I did it with the cup. Take some scissors and cut a strip about 2" in length and about 1" in width down from the rim of the cup. Ususally, those cups have a thicker part right at the rim that steps down to a thinner wall for the rest of the cup. If this is the case, be sure to cut the strip wide enough to include about 1/4" of the thin wall.

Next, take some plyers and bend the strip into a tighter circle...tight enough to fit into the open end of the fuel clip. Slip the "tool" onto the fuel line and slip that thin walled portion into the open end of the clip. This will slip under the spring and release the o-ring. Pull the lines apart while pushing the tool into the clip with your thumb and pointer finger, and they should pop right apart. Maybe a little monkey grease will help.

I've used this method both for fuel lines (on two seperate occasions) as well as the condensor-A/C connection. It takes a little fiddling and you have to hold your tongue the right way, but it works. I've always intended to buy the tool...but just always forgot to do so before I already had the project going, and I didn't want to spend an hour running to town and back.

You can try this...or just go buy the tool . Just remember, nothing beats good ol' fashioned Southern engineering.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 11:16 AM   #6
95GTS
Git jiggy

NO SLO PK: haha, no problem. I guess we posted at the same time. Yeah I'm on NLOC all the time. Except now that the dang board is down. Jerry said the network people are screwing around or something and no one can get on. I'm having withdrawls, lol. I'm MO351 over there. I hadn't been on the board here in quite a while so I've been hanging out here this week. Like in my sig I've got Red 94 #2019.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:03 PM   #7
chris91LX
Registered Member

Thanks guys, if I don't have time to get to Autozone, I'll try Nathan's design.
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:13 AM   #8
Rebel79
News Editor

I recently had to go buy a set too, but to disconnect my A/C lines. It cost me all of $10 and took me 30 seconds to disconnect the line that I had previously tried for an hour!
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 02:19 PM   #9
DemonGT
Registered Member

when me and my buddy did my intake we didnt have a tool either..cant remember what he cooked up...we riped out my A/C and never needed anything special? well....when i say riped i mean riped..and cut.haha mabe thats why
'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Crane retro fit lifters,Scorpian 1.6 RR's,Melling HV oil pump,MSD distro.,Canton oil pan,FMS flywheel,Romac balancer,FMS timing chain,Accufab 90mm TB,C&L 76mm maf, 42lbers,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Pro dumps,powerchamber,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Ford Racing gauges,5inch Tach,centerline convo pro's,nitto DR's,Pro3i lower control arms,50/50 shocks,3.55 gears,TFS HD diff. cover

Next year:

Tremec TKO,Spec stage 3 clutch,alum driveshaft,complete fuel system

www.angelfire.com/linux/demondan
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote