MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-15-2003, 06:31 PM   #1
coldknock
Registered Member

Default New member here. I gotta question.

I purchased an 89lx 302 fi. I runs fine after i get it started. The trouble is I have to psray it with starting fluid to start it. Any ideas on where to start looking before I shotgun it with new parts until it works right?
coldknock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:55 PM   #2
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default a little more info...

A little more diagnostic info would help us help you...

describe mods if any, mileage, troubleshooting that you have performed, behavior of the car after you get it started (i.e. sluggish, misfiring, etc)

how long has the problem existed? did you put some bad gas in it?

you see where I am going with this...but it will save you time if you can be a little more specific.

Good Luck...
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 11:39 PM   #3
bottlebaby91
Registered Member

ignition module or a computer, I just went through this on my car and it tirned out to be a computer.
bottlebaby91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:24 PM   #4
coldknock
Registered Member

I haven't done much but scratch my head and adjust the tps to read .99 millivolts. There is no sputtering , no problem running. It just won't start without some ether shot into it. If it had a mechanical fuel pump and carb I'd say the idle circuit in the carb was stopped up. That's not the case here. It has consistent fuel pressure throughout the rpm range (forgot the exact number of psi). All the injectors are ticking. None of the plugs show a rich or lean condition. The o2 sensor is new. I put the old one back in and borrowed one from a running car to make sure mine weren't the cause. The plugs are all firing when the engine is spun over. I'm at a loss here? If you fellas have any idea where to start I'd be very thankful.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:24 PM   #5
Mountain Main
Registered Member

Default check for fuel pressure

I think your fuel pump is going. Do you hear your fuel pump prime it's self. Have you tried to pull any codes.
Mountain Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 06:53 AM   #6
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

on these cars ,when you firste turn the key the fuel pump runs for like a second or two to bring up pressure for start up .....sounds like yours isn't ........if you have a fuel pressure gauge then check it to see if you get any pressure when you turn to key on (without cranking the engine)

if the pump doesn't come on or if it does'nt come up to pressure then it would have the above symptoms .......try that test and we'll go from there

other then that ,it might be getting a false reading from one of the temp sencers,or the bap sencor ......all three would make it harder to start but it should still start
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 06:46 PM   #7
coldknock
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys. I hotwired the fuel pump and got no pressure. We'll be upgrading since the stock replacement costs more than an aftermarket pump.