MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-26-2001, 11:15 AM   #1
daz95gt
Registered Member

Lightbulb Shorty belt & precats

Does shorty belt which disables the smog pump also disable power steering or something else?

Does the cats need those precats to get their work done if the engine is warm already or does the precats only get cats heated quicker?

There is emissions test once a year during vehicle inspection here in Finland and I thought that changing a shorty belt for a stock one once a year wouldn't be big job for extra power. However, if the short belt also disables power streering that won't rock. I'm also worried because of that emissions test if i'd get rid of those cats. Would I pass those tests still without precats? Would there be any increase of exhaust flow w/o precats?

------------------
95 GT, k&n with removed silencer, dynomax ultra-flo ss mufflers, eibach pro progressive springs
daz95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 11:56 PM   #2
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
I have a shorty belt, & it buypasser the smog pump & nothing else.
we measured the belt size with tape (be sure to get someone to lift & hold the belt tightner or the belt will be too loose when you put it on)
some people have told me of a friction problem btwn the smogpump & belt, but it hasn't happened to me

------------------
No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe (Sounds Mean), K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box), 198.9 rwhp @4200 (235 Motor!!), 285 lbs-ft @2900 (336 Motor!!!).
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 10:00 AM   #3
cw50must
Registered Member

The belt can be done either way, you can bypass both if you want or just the smog pump if you want. Just need to know the length for which ever one you want to do. It is very easy to switch the belts.

AS for the cats, all the high flow systems with cats only have 2 cats. I would think if you wanted to keep it Legal then you should probably buy one of these systems rather than cutting up yours, plus that way you can always put the original H-pipe back on if you need to.
cw50must is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 10:57 AM   #4
daz95gt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BowTie Eater 5 Liter:
I have a shorty belt, & it buypasser the smog pump & nothing else.
What kind of performance gain did you get bypassing that smog pump? Any noticeable gains? Also, if any of you guys have any experience concerning underdrive pulleys, I'd be glad to hear which modification gives more power.
daz95gt is offline   Reply With Quote