MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-18-2001, 09:11 PM   #1
stockrodder
Registered Member

Exclamation NEED HELP!

Im having some seemingly big problem with my car's performance. It started sputtering and wont maintain a good idle. The check engine light came on so I ran a scanner on it. I came up with 4 codes. One said that my egr is getting more than its max voltage. Another said that the TPS is getting more than its max voltage. Another said that my intake air charge was -40 C /open circuit. And another said that my coolant temp was -40 C/open circuit. I replaced the TPS and cleaned out the egr and it seemed to be working fine. I even changed the O2 sensors. There has been basically no change. The chec engine light goes on and off througout rpms . There doesnt seem to be a pattern to it. Im very short on cash at the moment so id like to not have to buy all kinds of sensor and what not if i dont have to. Im afraid if i ask local for mech's questions they will just beat around the bush to try and get me in their shop. please help.
stockrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 10:10 PM   #2
stockrodder
Registered Member

I forgot to mention that the engine is stock. Only things changed on the car is that it has no cat back at the moment and it has a k&n. Also, the coil is new, distributor is new and control module is new. Cap, rotor and plugs are new too. Less than a month old.
Old 02-19-2001, 04:05 AM   #3
stockrodder
Registered Member

someone please give me an idea of what is going on with my car. I have to have it fixed by monday night.
Old 02-19-2001, 07:32 AM   #4
Phil Ossifer
Registered Member

stockrodder,

On the back of the EGR valve there is an EVP sensor. It monitors the position of the EGR valve and sends a signal to the ECU of it's position.

The EVP sensor it not serviceable, if bad it must be replaced.

If you're certain the EGR valve is working but you're still getting EGR codes, the EVP sensor is probably bad. You can get a new one at the Ford part's counter; don't believe it can be checked but not sure.

If you've ever washed your engine bay with high pressure water at the quarter car wash and didn't cover the EGR, the EVP sensor is most likely bad.

Phil
Phil Ossifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 01:34 AM   #5
stockrodder
Registered Member

Hey thanks man. Ive been in a real bind lately trying to move across the country and all. I am replacing the air charge sensor and the the epv? or whatever it was you suggested. Im hoping that will do the trick. If not im going to break down and have a real diagnostics done. I just want this thing back on the road. Its been 3 days and i already miss driving it. thanks again. Any othr ideas out there would be appreciated as well.