MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-08-2001, 08:44 PM   #1
ex-lt1-guy
Registered Member

Post Just bought a Mustang and have ?s

Hi guys, I just sold my camaro Z28 for a 87 Lx 5.0, and I have some questions. First off, can you put a GT rack and pinion in an LX?? I wasnt sure if the mounting point was the same or if there was something special about the performance suspension package that wouldnt allow me to use a GT rack. Next, is there anyone that sells a 6 pc headlight kit, mine are broken and are rigged at the moment to stay in the housings, Finally, this is just a opinion question but my motor is basically stock with 210,000 miles on it, leaks more oil than it burns, and no motor noise, still as smooth as it was new. I was just curious, should I keep the speed density system or get mass air?? Currently with 3:73 gears, off road h-pipe, flomasters and pullies its hitting 13.9@96 with the high miles on it. Im used to modifying Lt1 MAF systems and i wasnt sure if i should bother converting to MAF, but every one of my friends believes i should with the 3:73 and a T5, just because of the potential of the 5.0L . Any comments would be greatly appreciated, I'm an ex-Camaro guy so be gentle ha. peace
ex-lt1-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 08:58 PM   #2
TJR
Registered Member

Unless you're going to do a cam swap, I wouldn't bother with mass air. I would also rebuild the engine before doing any major mods. Have you checked the compression? As far as rack and pinion goes, I think they are the same (gt vs lx). Does yours not have power steering?
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 09:44 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The racks just have different ratios. Yes you can put a GT rack into the LX, if it doesn't have it already. I believe the "sport suspension" package gave the LX the GT stuff.

I'd rebuild the engine as well. It's gotta be losing some compression and I'm sure the heads could use some cleaning up (although replacing them would be better). The factory SD system can be tuned to accept mods, so you can keep it if you don't want to spend the money to go to MAF.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 09:47 AM   #4
dinomite
The Dude

The ratio is actually the same, as the only differences between the lx and gt from 87-93s were aesthetic (http://www.mustanggt.org/87gtvslx.htm). Speed density will give you a very small amount more power than MAF, and you don't need to replace it till you start doing major stuff (heads, cam).
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 12:35 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I don't know if I believe the registery on that one, Drew. I've tried getting parts from Ford before and they have a couple different listings in their computers for the 5.0's.

I've seen that page before, though.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 02:02 PM   #6
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

I bought all my new headlights from texas mustang, they had the best deal I found and look great. John
Old 12-09-2001, 07:10 PM   #7
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World

stock speed density mustangs have been seen going in the 12s with suspension work, and slicks

you can do alot to a speed density motor(except forced induction, or a big cam), heads, intake, throttle body, nitrous, small cam(e-303)...

you could make the speed density system work with a blower or turbo, big cam.... but you would need a custom computer, and MAF would probably be better for that, but it all depends on how far you plan to go with the mustang.

you could probably make a speed density mustang run into the 11.5 with a little N2O and some motor work.
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 02:32 PM   #8
ex-lt1-guy
Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys, I've seen a few Speed Density cars run here at Gateway international in the St Louis area and they do quite well. So what your saying is I can buy a GT rack and pinion and with no modifications be able to put it in??? They have different part #s at the stores, I figure its just due to the different ratios, but I was just making sure. I think i'm gonna convert to the MAF because I have a harness, and since my bros converting to a Carb setup i'm gonna get his track heat intake and his ported 289 hi po heads, which will bump the compression a point i believe, but I think will 200, 000 shes about due for a rebuild. If it comes down to it, anyone ever use the Systemax II kit, i was thinking of getting that if he wont part with the track heat, i've heard good things but those guys are also running superchargers, anyone not running a supercharger and could give me a good clue as if i should spend the cash on it?? Thanks again guys
ex-lt1-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 04:23 PM   #9
DRASTiK
Registered Member

I think Rick91GT is the man to answer that one. If I'm not mistaken, he's running the Systemax II kit without a power adder.

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 05:11 PM   #10
exgmguy
Registered Member

The Holley heads and the intake are great, but the cam sucks.

1989 Mustang notchback
Warmed up 306 with a Procharger.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote