MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-17-2001, 12:16 AM   #1
skiwesser
Registered Member

Question Stock computer VS Cobra computer

I have a Cobra computer and 70mm Mass air
sensor for when I convert my 88'GT.
I bought it from a seemingly reptual dealer
in MM&FF, however it has a "remanufactured"
sticker on it? How can I tell if it is for a
5-speed or were all 93' Cobras sticks?
I've heard that the Cobra CPU is inferior to a regular 5-speed GT CPU? Somthing about a speed limiter and some other junk.?.
Any info on this subject would be apprieciated!!

------------------
88 GT subs,pullies,1 1/2 shorties,F.M.,3.73's,PRO 5.0 shifter,140,000 miles 8.881@78.09
Mcreary drag radials
skiwesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 12:50 AM   #2
84_GT350
Registered Member

All Cobras were sticks. And the Cobra computer is inferior due to it's programming being different than other Stangs. I think the timing maps are different or something. Not as aggressive. I don't think it being remanufactured would make much of a difference...CPU failure is pretty rare.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 12:55 AM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The Cobra computer is the worst of the computers built by Ford.

No speed limiter, just a 7sec delay before the computer actually goes into open loop allowing for maximum power. Not to mention it has horrible fuel and timing curves.

All 1993 Cobra's are 5spds
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 11:21 PM   #4
yello95gt
Registered Member

If this helps, I have had 2 93 cobras. One with typical bolt ons and 6lb powerdyne with an E303 cam. 12.9@109 on BFG's. The other had long tubes,off road, cat back and crank pulley only, stock gear:13.9 on stock goodyears. I have 2 friends with 95 cobras one with procharger and one with powerdyne.I hear all this crap about cobra computers, but if you notice none of these people have a cobra. The main problem I see is people buy the cobra computer but do not get the matching components to go with it.hope this helps
yello95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 02:04 AM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Question

Okay, not to sound a little harsh here yello95gt, but we try to give out accurate information here.

The Cobra computer is a piece of **** . No doubts about it. As far as the Cobra itself, nobody will dispute the fact that a Cobra is quicker than a GT.

Quote:
The other had long tubes,off road, cat back and crank pulley only, stock gear:13.9 on stock goodyears
With the Cobra intake, cam, roller rockers, GT-40 heads, and those mods, a GT should be in the low/mid 13's.

Have you ever swapped your computer for a decent one? I doubt you have, otherwise you wouldn't be quoting that your Cobra being faster than a GT obviously means the computer must be good. I'm sorry my not having a Cobra throws all my knowledge about them out the window. I guess my knowledge about every other car that I do not own is also useless. Maybe I should just leave these posts alone for experts like yourself to respond?

Bottom line, if you slap an A9L in your Cobra, you'll pick up a couple tenths in the quarter. He asked if the computer was good, not if the car was.

Please research your information a little before you start posting BS here. I suggest you use the search function and look up the consensus of the 50 or so Cobra computer questions on this board in the past, yello95gt. I think you'll find a reoccuring theme.
Old 03-18-2001, 03:38 PM   #6
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Hey Unit,

The man is just stating info on what he thinks. All this stuff is is opinions. I think you jumped a little hard and quick there on that one.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Cobra Computer, Cobra Transmission, GT40 Ported and Polished Upper and Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, March Underdrive Pulleys, Electric Fan, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, NGK Plugs, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 77mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, High Tolerant Painted Calipers and Drums.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 09:41 PM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Red face

I'm sorry if I'm coming across a little opinionated. It's the way I am, it's just so many people choose the Cobra system cause they think it's worth the extra money, or that it's a good system when in reality, it's not.

The Cobra computer most likely costs 20hp or more. People routinely pick up a couple tenths switching away from it. Plus the 24lb injectors are way overkill on a stock motor.
Old 03-19-2001, 12:01 AM   #8
yello95gt
Registered Member

Unit, he asked for an opinion, I not only gave an opinion but some results. Never did I say it was better than an A9L. All I said was most people end up buying just the computer and not the other stuff that goes along with it, which is usually where the problem is. Personally I do not see why he would want to buy a computer. But if you still think they are crap then you must have not seen many run.
Old 03-19-2001, 12:50 AM   #9
skiwesser
Registered Member

Ok, what about a motor that may need the 24# injectors because of intake,heads,cam,ect..,
(which is my ultimate goal) would the cobra not be better as it is designed to operate 24#'ers?,if you had a custom chip to revamp timing/fuel curves?
Or would a A9L CPU still be better if substituted in this example with a custom chip?(at what point is a custom chip even needed with a A9L? I think I read 19# injectors are good to around 300 HP?)therefore 24# units would be needed in this example, right? Would an A9L need a chip at this point to optimize performance?

The bottom line is I have the cobra CPU, so
if I'll need a custom chip on an A9L down the road why should I buy one?

I plan to stay speed density as long as I can
I've heard it will run fine until I change the cam &,or the heads.

You guys know a lot more about this stuff than me and I always recieve great info from this site, Thanks agian!!
P.S. anyone know of some good sites with drag & street racing video clips?
Old 03-19-2001, 01:33 AM   #10
yello95gt
Registered Member

the cobra computer is for mass air cars not speed density
Old 03-19-2001, 01:59 AM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

You did more than give an opinion, yello95gt. What you basically said was that since your Cobra went fast your computer is good, and since we don't own a Cobra, we have no business saying how good their computers are. That's fine with me if you are happy with your computer system. The fact is the Cobra's computer is inferior to all other computer's availible. They have a 7 second delay before going into open loop!!! In other words, your car is half way down the track before you even get full throttle! Furthermore as is common knowledge the Cobra's computer pulls out timing in between shifts and has a poor fuel/timing curve. All that adds up to serious wasted power potential. Why? To reduce warranty claims on the T-5.

Here's the deal. With an adjustable FPR the 19lb injectors will do fine up to 350hp. In fact, when you are running the injectors at a higher pressure, they will create better fuel spray patterns and atomization. Running 24lb injectors on a stock motor will not help performance. SD itself is more aggressive than any of the MAF systems. SD cars generally run a couple tenths quicker stock for stock versus the MAF cars.

What heads/cam/intake do you plan on? A GT-40 setup like the Cobra has stock will not make enough power to justify swapping to the 24lb setup.

Now as far as if you do switch to 24lb injectors, no the Cobra computer will still not be better. If you are making that much power you'll want a new MAF sensor for sure, in which case, just have the new sensor calibrated for 24 lb injectors. The result will be better then the stock Cobra setup. Much better. You should have no problems picking up a set of 24lb injectors, a Pro-M 75mm MAF, a used computer, and the conversion harness for less than the Cobra conversion. To me it only makes sense to get the less expensive better performance option. Straight up the Pro M and a A9L will kill a stock Cobra setup. I wouldn't be suprised to hear you pick up 3 tenths at all. But hey, it's your money.

What false information has been sent you way about the SD systems? 88workcar is running low 12's with Edelbrock heads, E303, roller rockers, and an intake. He's still running the SD system. A lot of people don't seem as determined to tune them properly, but when they do, you can find that a SD car can handle mild cams, heads, and intakes usually with just some fuel pressure adjustments.
Old 03-19-2001, 02:10 AM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Question

Did you already get the Cobra conversion kit? Or did you just buy the computer and the MAF al 'la carte?

If you got the kit it should have also come with the 24lb injectors and a harness.

You'll really want something larger than a little 70mm MAF when you start adding cams/heads/intakes.
Old 03-19-2001, 04:04 PM   #13
yello95gt
Registered Member

Unit, you should try reading my post again. never did I say either one of my cars were fast. I simply stated the facts concerning my car, which was a cobra. Which is what the guy was asking about, results on the cobra computer. Never did I say it was better or worse than the others. But if you do not have first hand results with the cobra computer yourself, you probaly should not be giving advice.
Old 03-19-2001, 05:00 PM   #14
skiwesser
Registered Member

I bought it in kit form from "The Power Source" ,I guess I got ripped off because
it came with CPU, 70mm cobra mass air meter,
and harness but no injectors.
At the time I was hoping to get a blower,thus the switch to mass air became neccesary and at the time I thought the cobra unit was a better setup, but kids started poppin' out of my wife so no blower or any major mods as of yet.

Anyone wanna buy a cobra CPU & MAF???
Old 03-19-2001, 06:41 PM   #15
Unit 5302
Registered Member

All depends on how much you paid when deciding if you got ripped off or not.

I've seen the Cobra MAF conversions for around $550. If you paid a lot less than that, then maybe you didn't get burned.

Pro M 75mm MAF will run around $200
a Fox computer out of the junkyard $50
you'll need a conversion harness, I think you can find the simple ones for like $40?

All in all pretty good deal for up to 350hp. If you go beyond that 24lb injectors will run you another $200.