MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-04-2001, 07:24 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Cool 351 Swap Experts.... I Need some advice please

I bought a 93GT with no motor and tranny in drag car form. Where can I find all the necessary brackets and swap parts needed to run a 351W based 393 stroker? The boneyards around here are no help. Here's my list so far. I already have the shortblock prepped and ready for the stroker kit to arrive. I decided on going with the upper and lower Edlebrock Fuel Injected Mainfolds (emissions legal), BBK swap headers and H-pipe w/cats, 70MM TB and EGR plate(Where can I find the EGR and O2 sensors?), 30lb. injectors, Cartech Fuel system, Fluidyne radiator, Black Majic Flex a lite fan, and wire harnesses. What else do I need as far as vacuum hoses, brackets, and where can I find a Thermactor(smog) pump to help pass emissions? I'm still not sure if I have to use the cannister purge...I've heard that you can pass without them and I've also heard you need it to pass.

------------------
In progress for Spring:

93 GT less motor and tranny, 8 pt cage, chute,
Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's
'69 393 stroker Edlebrock Performer heads, Performer RPM Upper & Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers..BBK 70MM TB & cats..30lb Injectors..Cartech Fuel System..
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 07:48 PM   #2
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Talking

Sounds like you want to go fast and be smog legal. I've learned from experience, either have a race car or a street car. I had a radical mustang on the street. It's fun at first but it gets old fast. Anyways, get the May 2001 issue of 5.0 Mustang. There's a complete article on 351 swaps into 5.0's
And remember, you're reengineering a car. Not everything is going to be a smooth bolt on. There's probably going to be a little cutting and welding going on. Ever thought of a 347 stroker? They can make more power than you think and it bolts right in. If you going to make more than 500hp and need the strength get a boss block(good luck) or Ford's pricey A4 block. Hope this helps. Good luck!
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 12:45 AM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Hey Smokedchevy!?

I got that issue and read it weeks ago...thanks! I've already had a 87 w a tired 5.0 bored .30 over, with equal length headers, 17 inch Chrome Cobra R's, and a H-pipe with Flowmasters on the street and I want more!

That is a great article! I read it weeks ago, and I see the many advantages of the 351W, especially the stronger & bigger mains, and rod to stroke ratio ;-)

The 93GT (with no motor or tranny) I bought can be made street legal once again. The problem lies where I must pass emissions on the 351W based 393. But I'm running Edlebrock Fuel Injection (Carb#'s on all parts), using cats, and am trying to find a smog pump so it shouldn't be too bad. The second problem is that the websites and phone numbers 5.0 Mag gave {at the end of the article) for FRPP are no good, so I can't talk to those guys. Thanks for the advice anyway!

------------------
In progress for Spring:

93 GT less motor and tranny, 8 pt cage, chute,
Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's
'69 393 stroker Edlebrock Performer heads, Performer RPM Upper & Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers..BBK 70MM TB & cats..30lb Injectors..Cartech Fuel System..
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote