MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-21-2002, 07:23 PM   #1
Big Bopper
Registered Member

Unhappy Water in my oil and on my#6 plug ?

Does this mean that my head gasket has a hole in it? Is changring a head gasket very hard? What's envolved ? can someone give me a breakdown of what you have to do to get at it ? Thanks guys!!
Big Bopper.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:29 PM   #2
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

you have to get a head gasket, gasket set. and take off upper intake, lower intake, exhaust minifolds, valve covers, all the accessories on the front of the motor(p/s pump, ac, aternator ect..) its kind of a pain, i have gotten used to blowing head gaskets, and warping heads so i can do it with my eyes closed, still gets to me sometimes though. if you havent done it b 4 i suggest you either have someone else do it, or just have someone there that knows what to do.

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 08:09 PM   #3
Big Bopper
Registered Member

Thanks "sn95gt19"... I havn't done this b 4, But I thnk I can do it ,between this site and my friends I think it's possible....
When you take the head off do you have to do anything special to the head during this process? how long do you think it would take to do for the first timmer? Do you have to use new bolts for the head? Thanks for your help eh...

Big Bopper.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:30 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

I just got done from having the same problem. Yes it is your head gasket that is shot.

I really reccomend you having someone there with you that has done it before. But I'll try to shed some light on it for ya

Pulling everything off is pretty straight forward.

Make sure you have everything absolutely clean before re-assembly. You might wanna have your heads checked to make sure they are perfectly flat.

when installing, the head gaskets go on dry, not RTV or gasket sealant. I suggest getting a set of ARP head bolts, because you wont wanna re-use your stock ones. And ofcourse follow the correct torque sequence and settings.

You'll wanna put a good coat of black RTV around the coolant passages on both sides of the intake gaskets, as well as the corners on the ends where the intake meets the heads/block.

Then from there, its just torquing the rockers back down properly, and everything else is pretty self explanitory.

Good luck with it
Old 07-22-2002, 01:07 AM   #5
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

I could have sworn my friend swapped his head gaskets without having to pull the a/c compr, i cant be sure though.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 04:46 AM   #6
PKRWUD

I agree that it most likely is a head gasket. A cracked head is another possibility, but with the frequency with which small block Fords blow head gaskets, that is the most likely problem.

I also agree with the advice fiveohpatrol gave you.

In addition, write down where evrything you disconnect goes, both electrical and vacuum. Also, get several shoeboxes. Use them like templates, by slicing small X's in them to represent which pushrod, bolt, etc. goes where, and then stick them there as you remove them. It is important to put everything back in the same spot they came from. You should also plan on having the heads surfaced at a machine shop. Odds are that they aren't perfect if the gasket failed. Lastly, do not use the end gaskets when reinstalling the lower intake manifold. Instead, apply a solid, uninterrupted bead, about 3/8" tall, of RTV silicone on the block where the end gaskets would go. Let it sit for 20 minutes before installing the lower intake. Also, make sure to thoroughly clean all gasket surfaces, and to blow out any and all debris with compressed air. To make life a little easier, drape a towel over the lifter valley as soon as the lower intake comes off. I have also fount that a typical car washing sponge, cut in half, fits perfectly in each cylinder to help keep debris from falling in. You will also need to obtain a tap to clean out the threads for the head bolts in the block. Failure to do this will result in incorrect torque readings when you torque the heads back on, and will increase the likelyhood of blowing another head gasket. Also, when installing the new head bolts, dip the upper bolts in motor oil, and coat the lower bolts with thread sealer (ARP is the best). DO NOT use RTV silicone on the head bolt threads. This too will result in incorrect torque readings. If you have access to a Polaroid or a digital camera, take a bunch of pictures before, and as you go, and have them for reference if you need them.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 05:44 PM   #7
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

i would definitely have your heads checked out though, have them check for straightness, magnaflux(check for cracks), and do a pressure check to see if you need a valve job. i had my heads sitting around in the garage for about a year, i put them on my 95gt and they ended up being warped. i had to take the heads back off, and do it all over again. make sure you have them checked out. good luck

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote